Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my pup in for her boosters today and figured since It was gonna be a while before her next checkup that it would be a good idea to get her chipped while I was there. Shes pretty good with her shots and i was suprised at how well she handled the needle used to implant the chip. It has to be the scariest needle I've seen in a long time but all she did was let out a little yelp and held no grudges to vet. Another thing that suprised me was the price. It costed only $25, i was expecting at least twice that. Now I'm glad I finally got it done and I can now apply for her lifetime liscence.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Lifetime license?

I had Chloe microchipped while she was spayed. We killed 2 birds with one stone that way, and she didn't suffer the thick needle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In PA once a dog is permanently identified by either a chip or a tattoo they allow you purchase a lifetime liscence for the dog. Its very reasonably priced at $31 for a fixed dog and $51 for unaltered dogs.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Here we pay once a year. Its law here to have a dog licence. the cost varies from town to town.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe for the one year liscence in PA it is $6 for fixed dogs and $8 for unaltered.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Originally Posted By: SandyjHere in our area, dogs aren't licensed, but it's something that needs to be done.
I'm glad you said that Sandy because I was sitting here scratching my head wondering if I hadn't been paying for something that I should have been

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I wish we did lifetime licenses. I think I only pay $5 for Jersey's annual tag. Even though it's not expensive, I would like the convenience of a one time deal.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
In our area, the dog license is paid when the dog gets it's rabies shot, so there is no separate charge.

I'm glad things went well with the chipping. I had Maggie's implanted during her spay surgery, so she didn't feel it (she's my drama queen; she hates the vet). Calvin had his done during his regular check up and wagged his tail the whole time....and YES, that needle is HUGE....so I was proud of him.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke was chipped last month and he hated the needle! I think it freaked him out when they held him and then the needle came and he got so scared he had an accident on the tech's lap! But, he was back to normal right afterward and ready to play.

Wish we could have a lifetime license. Ours is only $4 a year for fixed, but somewhere around $40 if they aren't. Actually, our area is starting to push for requiring spay and neuters unless you have a breeders' license. Good idea, but implementation will be difficult because I think some will just not tag their dogs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ouch 40 bux? I'm guessing there is alot of untagged dogs in your area already for that reason. A requiremant of spaying and neutering is certainly a good idea providing that there is leeway for dogs that compete in events that require unaltered dogs in the rules. Or an even better solution would be allowing fixed dogs to compete in field events.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm not really sure what a license even is. If FL requires one... well I haven't paid for one, lol. Probably something I should check into...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Nick, yes Florida does require a license. At least where I live (just north of Tampa). My vet's office automatically does it when Jersey is there for her annual vaccinations.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Jen,

Alright, thanks for the info. I guess I'll ask my vet about it on Banjo's next appointment.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Luv your avatar Nick

Registration is very important. Apart from the city/county knowing you have a dog, if something happens, they know to contact you.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thank you Eleanor!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts