Our Beagle World Forums banner

Zelda's learning tricks!

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  CarrieD 
#1 ·
We haven't taken her to any puppy school yet, but we've been teaching her basic tricks.

Last week she finally learned how to lie down and will do it right away now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffbPxiJX-_4

I've been trying to teach her to shake a paw for the longest time and I almost gave up. Then this weekend she saw a treat in my hand and started to raise her paw up without me even saying anything. So i held the treat up and said shake a paw! and she did it! just like that. But now all she does is try to shake a paw. I ask her to sit, and as she's sitting, there's her paw waving in the air.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmqmcwpQ6nA
(youtube lowered the sound or something, cuz you can barely hear me, but you get the idea!)

and i'm just throwing this one in randomlly, but I put on the movie Milo and Otis and Zelda decided to watch the ending of it with us. Totally glued to that TV.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LtoWyMX3W8

What tricks have you taught your beags?? I want to try BANG! next.

See less See more
#8 ·
Congrats! It's so great when they finally put it all together and do the trick. Daisy can sit, lay down, shake, and roll over. Roll over was the hardest, and I put that in quotes because she actually learned it quickly compared to other dogs I've had.

As for the raising her paw before you even asked - don't be impressed. What I figured out with Daisy is that although I might have initially trained her to shake if she wants a treat, she has actually trained me to give her a treat when she shakes.

And Gale, I got news for ya - teaching a beagle to speak...well....that's somethin' you're probably going to regret...
hehehe

#10 ·
Gosh the most any of our beagles have learnt is sit, wait,and give a paw. Our first beagle, Bilbo, kept a family of Berbers (in Africa) entertained by sitting and waiting before being told she could eat a piece of bread.

#11 ·
I haven't taught the puppies much new in a really long time, and Bones refuses to roll over anymore, but Spock can now crawl toward you for a treat, and I like to play the find the treat game, where I hold out my fists in front of one of the dogs (a treat tucked into one of them) and ask them to find the treat. It doesn't take long with their treat detection systems so finely tuned

#12 ·
Menolly's already learned 'sit pretty', 'dance' (getting up on her hind legs and walking backwards), 'jump' (onto a box), 'take a bow', 'high-five', and 'paw' in addition to the basics (all except 'wait' and heel'). We're working on 'flip' (a jumping spin like the JRT Wishbone used to do), 'peekaboo', and 'spin' now, and eventually I want to teach her 'i'm sorry '(hiding her eyes), 'roll over', and 'sleep' (play dead). One funny combo I want to do is put a treat onto a water gun, point it at her, and have her sit up and raise her paws; ie, 'I surrender!'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.