Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden, Zelda now does not like dog parks. She only went a handfull of times before she decided she didnt like them. First few times we decided she was good enough to go to one, she had a blast!! always found a dog about her size to chase around, and would run extra fast to get her ball, etc etc... usual dog park stuff!!

but NOW, as soon as we get in there she stays by our side and won't chase after her ball... if anything, she will kind of walk up to it and then walk away.

ALSO, if we try to walk near the back of the field to get her away from most of the crowd, she RUNNNNSSSS to the entrance of the park and whines.

The only thing I can think of was one time she was there and having fun, these two jack russels were playing and they kept stealing her ball away... and whenever Zelda wasn't looking, one of them would come up from behind her and bark really loudly... Zelda definitely did not approve of that, and from that point on, she always stuck by the gate...

Just today we thought we would try it out again... got her a brand new ball and I had a hanfull of treats... she headed for that gate and start DIGGING when we wouldn't leave.

Why oh why must she not like the dog park??

She has her doggy friends that she plays very well with... she bothers them too much even and just wants to constantly play when we're all together in someone's backyard.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Roscoe used to go nuts at the dog park and run, run, run! Now he just stays to himself and sniffs the perimeter the entire time! I honestly believe it is because he gets car sick on the way there, since we moved the nearest dog park is further away than the one we used to go to.
In any case I think they associate, so Zelda must be reacting to something negative.
I agree with Sephly, maybe bring a buddy and see if that helps?? Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
When Maggie is afraid of something we bring her friends who are not nervous about anything and it really seems to calm her. We even got her over her fear of fireworks last year. Yesterday we had a thunderstorm and she wasn't at all nervous. I am curious to see how she will do with the fireworks this year.
Taking a good doggie friend who enjoys the dog park might be worth a try.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I could meet you at the dog park with my two. They would never scare another dog like those 2 jacks did. Maybe if we were to walk into the dog park together with all the dogs she will forget why she was so scared in the past.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I wouldn't force her if she's had a bad experience and she's feeling fearful.

I would have some one on one play dates with dogs you know to start with and go from there. Some dogs don't enjoy being surrounded by lots of strange dogs, I don't take my dogs to the dog park unless it's empty or I go with friends. I don't like to run my dogs with strange dogs because you have no idea of their temperament.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
When we first got Popcorn she LOVED the dog park (one of the few places she wasn't absolutely terrified) and would run, run and run like crazy whenever we went. At the first beagle meetup we went to with her she was leading the pack of beagles racing around the park at one point. Then, after a while, she started to freak out at the people at the park and started barking at them instead of running around with the dogs. And now when she isn't barking at people she is stuck close to our feet and refuses to run around at all... Over the same period she has gotten much more confident (well, a bit more confident) outside of the dog park, but the dog park magic is definitely gone. I have absolutely no idea why her attitude changed so much - but it sounds a lot like what Zelda is going through too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Totti's not too fond of the dog park either. He prefers his long walks over a visit to the dog park anyday! When we do take him to the dog park, he just hides under a bench and every once in a while he'll find a dog that he'll play with. Thus I haven't taken him in a while but instead I've been bringing him over to friends' houses with dogs so he can have his little play dates.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Colby LOVES the dog park. He goes crazy everytime I tell him we are going there. He does have his favorite dogs like Milo the Golden who is his best friend and will play with him over the other dogs but he pretty much loves every dog that is there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts