Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really, but I now have mangled Q, R, and T keys. I will have to find replacements for them. SHe pulled several other keys off, but they were repairable. She also ate a MP3 player, a leather repair kit, and a piece of plastic that we haven't figured out where it came from yet.

We are going to limit her ability to move about the house whenever we are gone from now on. Also close doors. We let them in the office because they love to look out the window. Well, they just lost that privilage.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The reason I asked is because I'm curious to how old beagles should be before being left alone. Bodie is 18 months and no where near mature enough to be left alone. Occasionally we'll leave him unattended in the backyard for an hour or two to only find something dug up or chewed on.

We're pretty good at segregated him when no one can watch him either by putting him in his dog run or using a baby gate to keep him in areas we want him supervised.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh my goodness - what an appetite! You certainly have a Techno Beagle there!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have never had a dog that was this destructive before. I guess we gave her too much leeway before her true personality came out. She has been with us a month now so I think she feels comfortable enough to be herself. We keep on wondering if this is the reason why we are her third owners in the last 2 months. She's stuck with us as we won't give up on her.

Now Niko isn't bad. She will get into things if Yuki does, but she is not the instigator. She has climed on the kitchen island to get some bagels, but she doesn't chew on non-edible things.

We thought Tucker was bad when we got him 7 years ago. He was nothing. We keep telling him that he needs to keep the girls in line when we aren't home. It isn't working.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Originally Posted By: Tucker's Dad She's stuck with us as we won't give up on her.
That's so cool - I think Yuki will be very glad to be stuck with you!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Haha oh goodness...that is frustrating! Sebastian is almost two and I still don't let him have free reign when I'm not home. In the time I've had him, I've gone through two laptop cords, a cell phone, two cable company remotes, a flash drive, countless rugs, I can go on and on. Luckily, (fingers crossed)he seems to have grown out of most of this chewing. Still don't trust him though...he likes causing trouble too much
Good luck with your pups!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Poor computer! As noted above, she really does seem to have a 'taste' for technology! Very heartwarming to hear she is 'stuck' with you!!

Question for everyone, when did your beags start chewing? I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but Gracie was pretty good about only chewing (even while teething) on what she was given up until she hit 7 months. Since then (3 weeks ago) she has gone through 2 pairs of my shoes, my slippers (those were the beginning of it all: slippers in the morning and then my boots that evening!), my husbands slippers, repeated attempts at the remote, a roll of tinfoil, and a stack of our holiday cards. Luckily she only shreds things, I don't think she has ingested too much.

We're well aware that we are to blame for letting our guard down, I mean how tempting is a pair of leather boots, but she tried to chew on our shoes 1 or 2x when we first got her at 8 weeks old and then left them alone. Since then, we haven't really worried about keeping shoes up or anything like that. I never thought she would pull a roll of tinfoil off of the counter for some casual chewing! The funny/sad part of all this is that she is doing this while we are home. She pretty quick about grabbing something to chew and then real cute and quiet she'll go to one of 'her' spots and use her paws to hold/shield what she has. So at first glance, we think she's being a good girl!

Sorry for rambling, just pretty new to her jaws of destruction!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Like I mentioned above, Bodie is 18 months. And I would say 9 times out of 10 he'll chew on his designated toys. The other time it can be anything that's left out and catches his fancy. Although we have a rule in our household that no one can get mad at Bodie for chewing something he shouldn't because it's OUR responsibility to not leave anything of importance out in the first place. If it is, then it's fair game. And because of this we don't really encounter any significant losses.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Invest in a Kong. My Beagle just loves that thing. Especially if you fill it full of treats.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I feel for you. We are really struggling with Willie's chewing. He recently chewed through:

*The power cord for my brand new laptop (probably while it was in use, it was discovered later)

*The power cord for the vacuum cleaner (right in front of my BF, who thought he was chewing on the Kong he'd sat down next to him with...but he moved on sneakily to the vacuum while BF was working at the computer a few feet away)

*The queen size down comforter that he sleeps on top of on my bed every night, and has slept on for three months without ever evidencing a desire to chew at it (this he chewed in the night, WHILE I slept under it).

*A whole bag of bakery bread, which he obtained by learning how to open the pantry door, leaping up, and dragging it down.

We learned early on to remove things like laundry and the garbage and keep them in the basement, which he can't get into on his own.

He has loads of his own toys, which he does chew and loves chewing. He's all about his Kongs, stuffed or unstuffed, and his bacon-flavored Nylabones. But he will also foresake a chew toy sitting right next to him and gnaw on something contraband in a flash. It doesn't seem to matter that his own toys are right there next to him if he decides that he'd rather be chewing on something else. The night he chewed through my down comforter, his Kong was right there next to the rip. We know better than to leave things lying about, but he chews things that HAVE to be left out (i.e. appliances/cords), and things that are part of the house, like the edges of doors, moulding, baseboards, etc. We just bought our first home, a vintage bungalow that's beautifully restored, and we can't have him damaging it.

He can no longer be left unattended, even for short periods of time, without being confined to his crate. Even confining him to a room isn't safe for him, because of the risk that he'll chew the furniture, lamp cords, etc., and he learned quickly how to jump/ram over the gates we put up (bread incident). I wish he could have more free reign, but he can't be trusted. He'll be two next month.

·
Registered
889 Posts
We got our guys when they were about 2yrs old, and I don't think they had free reign until they were nearly 3. And we still occasionally have trouble. For example, we can't leave cardboard boxes out because Rocky LOVES those. And we try to always put shoes away, just in case. :)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Having two beagles means you have double the trouble and fun. We sometimes will call Casie and Cobi "Pinky and the Brain" after the cartoon characters. The brain power comes from Cobi, very calculating, and then he lets Casie do the dirty work. Cobi is 9 and Casie is 2....Their favorite thing to do is clean out the refrigerator when we are gone....so when I went to look for a new frig, one that they couldn't get their noses into the door, I asked for a "beagle proof" frig. The young m an who was helping me, said he didn't think they made such a thing, as he had beagles too, and knew exactly what I was talking about. He then proceeded to give me all kinds of ideas on how to keep the door shut and the beagles out. To this date, our frig is tied shut with a boat tow rope....

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I hear that a lot about beagles and refrigerators, I guess we should count our blessings that ours haven't figured that trick out yet!

·
Registered
39 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if Willie figured out how to open a fridge, but I think thus far, he's stymied by the fact that ours is a side-by-side, so he doesn't have the same leverage to get at the seal/edge of the door as he would on a top-freezer model. He made short work of learning how to get the pantry door open.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.