Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends,

Anyone ever have the authenticity of their dog's "beagleness" questioned?

My cousin came by for a celebration a few weeks ago and saw Marleyboy for the first time. She said hmmm, is he all Beagle? I said yes. Didn't think much of it but later she told my mother that he looked big for a Beagle and maybe was mixed. Said her brother has one and Marley is much taller than him.

I explained that the heights vary and he is smaller than some Beagles I have seen and bigger than some. Then I said, look he is all Beagle and even if he wasn't he's all MINE, so what?

just taken on my cellphone....
He is 7 months old and 22 pounds.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe is 15 lb (maybe 14.5) and is a 13" beagle. She is smaller than most beagles I've seen. I only saw 3 other beagles her size - all the others were about twice her weight and 1.5 times her size.... they do vary in size and coloring.... but the are all beagles.

You just can't miss the beagle ears, tail, nose and traits.... :animal18:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have to agree that he looks very Beagle to me. Blue is 5 months and 20 lbs as of tonight. He is also already 13" tall so we aren't sure how big he is going to get.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Maya is a 14" and weighs about 30 lbs. Tate is a 13" and weighs about 28 lbs. I know someone who has a 13" that probably doesn't weigh 20 lbs though so who knows. I think he looks totally beagle too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks like a beagle to me too. My beagle Willie was larger than your typical beagle ... well over 15" ... but he too was all beagle.

Somewhere I have a picture of Willie and Cody together ... when I find I'll post. They are a good example of different sizes within a breed. It may be tomorrow before I find.

I like your final comment about him being all yours. But you also might let your cousin know ... that dogs within a breed can differ quite a bit.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Looks like a Beagle to me!!

I reckon Glover is going to look excactly like Marley at that age! they are so alike! the colourings are very similar too lol

Did Marley have big paws when he was younger?

xx
K

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Being a Mommy to a beagle that is a "rare" coloring and does not look like the show beagles most non-beagle lovers think of when they hear "beagle" I know exactly what you're going through!

I was almost frantic when people, particularly one person really got to me, started questioning if she was "full" beagle or not, until I started doing my homework.

Yep...she is a purebred, red & white, "field" beagle....stupid people! :eyes: Oh..and she has AKC papers also so :raspberry: ignorant folk!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Over here the AKC does not recognize anything over 15"

Quote:Originally posted by Xsara:
Well, by standard desirable height at withers should be between 13 and 16 inches ... But looks like a beagle to me too. I know many beagles that are too tall.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Marley looks like a Beagle to me! Beagles come in all shapes and sizes. For the first two years I had Jersey there was an event here called Beaglepalooza. It was a fund raiser for the Tampa Bay Beagle Rescue, but also a huge (100 plus Beags!) meet up. The first time I went there I saw Beagles in all shapes, sizes and colors. They don't all look like the typical tri-color, black saddled, tan and white face dogs you see in the show ring. I wouldn't worry. And even if he's not all Beagle, you won't love him any less! Jersey isn't all Beagle and I couldn't love her more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by BeagleBabe:
Over here the AKC does not recognize anything over 15"

Quote:Originally posted by Xsara:
Well, by standard desirable height at withers should be between 13 and 16 inches ... But looks like a beagle to me too. I know many beagles that are too tall.
We use FCI standards in Europe, they are a little different from AKC.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Try this checklist I just thought up:

Long nose that is magnetically attracted to food?
Ears long enough to make a mess when aforementioned nose is attracting food?
Tail that wags straight and true when aforementioned nose is doing it's thing?

If you can mark yes for these 3, then theres a good chance you have a beagle, or professional beagle impersonator!

Of all the mixes I have seen there is always a standout distinction; be it the ears (half the distance to the nose), tail (curled), coat color (solid gray or solid black), or jaw (short with standout teeth). If these things look beagle on your dog, chances are it's all beagle!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Marley looks all beagle to me. When we enrolled Duke in puppy school, he was 4 months and there was another Beag in his class (named Reagle, LOL) that was 3 months and much bigger than Duke.

Duke is only 22 pounds now at 8 months, but he and Reagle, though different in size, were both 100% beagle in class!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Marley looks all beagle to me. I've had a few people question my Li'l Girl's beagleness because of her ears. They're great beagle ears, but some people think that because of the floppiness she might be part basset. :eyes:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks everyon!

I wouldn't love him any less believe me. But I am surprised at the audacity of some folks. And even if they mean well by asking, if I tell you he is 100% leave it at that. What difference does it make really?

Anyway, I will measure his height tonight. Will he get taller now that he is almost 8 months?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Marley's Mommy:
But I am surprised at the audacity of some folks. And even if they mean well by asking, if I tell you he is 100% leave it at that. What difference does it make really?
I absolutely understand you: Xsara is not the typical color and she doesn't carry her tail straight. She is pure beagle with papers (not bad papers at all) but I still get this question sometimes and it bothers me too.

He could still grow a little bit, but probably not much. It's a little different with every dog but I think Xsara was pretty much her adult height when she was about 7-8 months old.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts