Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your pups alone time

Just curious - how long do you leave your beagle home alone for? I've heard and read that beagles are among the breed of dog that really hate to be left alone and shouldn't be for too long.
I feel bad when i leave snoopy alone for 2 hours! and when i get back she freaks out!
that's probably the longest she's ever been alone in almost 10 months (i'm soo lucky that i can bring her to work) but i'm wondering what everyone elses' puppy is like?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Re: Your pups alone time

We have a dog door so there are times that we have left them for 36 hours or so and we come home and they go nuts when we walk in. But we can be gone for 5 minutes and the dogs act the same as if we have been gone for the weekend so I don't think it matters. Our advantage is they have each other to keep them company when we have to be away. Thankfully they are all pretty well behaved dogs. We have a few little mishaps occasionally with Tate (the chew monster) chewing up a stuffed animal, pillow or baby toy, but that's about it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

Dogs are pack animals, and Beagles are even more attached to their pack!! However, life forces us to compromise.

I leave Chloe for 8-9 hours daily when I'm at work. BUT - I am walking her for 45 minutes (power walk) almost every morning, so that she is much better alone.

Tired Beagle = Good Beagle = happy owners

BTW - Snoopy would freak out when you come back whether you leave for 10 minutes, 2 hours or 10 hours. They are just funny that way

I personally, wish I could get another Beagle, but I can't at the moment. I also don't have anyone to walk Chloe mid-day, but we manage. She gets PLENTY of attention when I get home.

·
Registered
229 Posts

Wow, you are really lucky to be able to take Snoopy to work. Wish I could bring Squeegee to work with me, it would make my day so much more fun
Ours stays at home for anywhere from 4-9 hours while we're at work. When we adopted him the lady at the pound told me that dogs don't know the difference between 10 minutes and 8 hours. She said that they are simply unable to keep track of time. It seems like this is true. Like everyone else has said, Squeegee is just as excited to see me after 10 minutes as he is after a long day of being in his crate. He does hate to be left, though

·
Registered
847 Posts

Bodie is outside in his dog run during the day while we're at work. He might go 8 hours before seeing anyone. But we take him for a walk in the morning and again when someone gets home. And then its family time where he gets lots of attention. I'm sure he gets bored and lonely during the day. But we've also got to work and put a roof over our heads. All we can do is make sure he's got food, water and lots of toys to play with during the day. I think he's pretty adjusted to our schedule by now.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Java is usually home alone for 9-10 hours in his dog run in my back yard. From what I can tell, he sleeps through a lot of it in his dog house. It's also a covered dog run, so he gets tons of shade and coziness. Now that Lilo's on board, that should allow both to keep each other company (and warm in the dog house). I'm not sure how Lilo will handle it, but having each other should at least help. I telecommute half the work week, so they don't have to spend too much time out there without human interaction.

And yes, Java goes bonkers when we're leaving for work. But I've found that a kong with some stuffed peanut butter will distract him enough from the initial separation--for which he tends to whine like mad. I've also left a few old/used tshirts for him to chew/drag around/sniff/snuggle.

·
Registered
959 Posts

Cobi and Casie go nuts if I just take the garbage out, they are so happy to see me, it's like I've been gone for hours. I try not to leave them alone for more than 3 hours...unless I have someone who is coming and going in the house. Casie still goes in his crate (cushy at that) when we leave, don't quite trust him to behave himself. Cobi, however, will climb up in the recliner and watch tv or outside, check on Case and just chill. Hopefully, someday, Casie will be the same way.

Cathy J

·
Registered
94 Posts

I cant imagine leaving her alone, she chews EVERYTHING when shes bored

·
Registered
605 Posts

My work/school schedule is different everyday, and my parents work different shifts also, so generally Henry's out in the house with somebody most of the day. I'm a runner, though, so he gets lots of exercise with me every day. But when in doubt (like if somebody's going to bed and doesn't know when somebody else will be home to supervise Henry), he goes out for some sniffing and then gets a nap in his crate. Same thing if he's going to be left home alone. He's very well behaved, but he does have a penchant for getting into things!

·
Registered
421 Posts

i am just hoping i can get it together in time for when my status is approved and i can get a job. right now, i have a hard time getting to the gym. she hates the crate, and i feel bad leaving her alone.

·
Registered
366 Posts

Winston is alone in his crate for about a maximum of 4 hours at a time. Fortunately I or someone in the house can come home at lunch, and our daughter is in University so 2 or 3 days a week she only has classes in AM. He gets walked morning, noon and 2-3 times in the evening. I always feel guilty if I leave him alone in the eves, but it's always a good excuse to go home from certain obligatory events early!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

haha that it is!
as a newly single woman i'm finding the excuse um i have to go look after my dog is the best one to have!! haha.
wow.. i'm impressed with how your puppies are when left alone. I feel soooo badly leaving little snoops alone but i know it's necessary sometimes! I'm extremely blessed that she can come to work with me. I've also heard that dogs don't know the concept of time .. i guess that's really for their benefit!
Good old work hey - mommy has to go earn money to pay for those toys you keep destroying ! hahaha.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts

We are lucky that I have always been a housewife. That means our dogs have never been alone for more than a couple of hours, when we have gone out to eat. Our first beagle roamed free and used to leave us for up to 5 hours!!! we didnt realise what idiots we were in those days.
I personally wouldnt have a dog if we were both out at wrk, but i know it works for many. Hubby and I are retired so our two are only alone when we go shopping, to a restaurant or visit people where they are not welcome.

·
Registered
181 Posts

I don't like leaving Ben alone in the evenings either b/c that is his active and social time. During the day he is VERY lazy and just snoozes the hours away.

He is left alone for a maximum of 6-7 hours a day during the weeks that my boyfriend works the day shift. Other than that Ben is only ever home for a couple of hours tops on a regular weekday.

I am a homebody and I love being home in the evenings and weekends just relaxing. My BF is the same way. If we do have a social event we either use the we have to leave early b/c of Ben excuse or we have my BF's parents dogsit for us.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

It was a year before we left Vinny alone for more than 2 hours. We crated him the first year when gone. Now he runs free. We think he sleeps most of time, in his crate.

We began by leaving the door to his crate open for an hour then stretched it. We are only comfortable leaving he and Miles for no more than 6 hours.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts

Reading these posts have made me feel a little better. Circumstances being what they are, my husband and I both work. I feel so guilty leaving my beagles alone during the day and other people have implied that this is just unacceptable! They are very spoiled little dogs who get a ton of love and attention. Ideally, I would prefer to be home and hopefully that will happen soon but until then, we do what we can and they seem to be very happy dogs!

·
Registered
42 Posts

I work one week 5 days and then the other week 4 days. My boyfriend works as a music teacher on a school, so he starts later than I do and he finishes early afternoon.
The longest day in the week is wednesday, the boys are alone for 8 or 9 hours then, but my neighbour often takes them for a walk on those days.
Every day we walk them for over 2 hours in total and in the weekends we go to the beach or the woods. And we also plan a lot of meetings with other beaglefriends in the weekends, that's lots of fun!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.