Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a home for my beagle, Daisy. She is about 18 - 24 months old. I have really tried since I got her last July, but it is just not working, and Daisy needs better than I can provide. I really don't want to return her to the rescue I got her from. I didn't sign anything that said I had to, and I feel very strongly that Daisy needs someone who has had or currently has beagles, so they can understand her 'beagleness'.

She is very playful with other dogs, and prefers dogs bigger than her, actually the bigger the better it seems. Her favorite thing is to get them to chase her. I take her to a local dog park, and that's all she wants to do. She's really fast, and it's funny to watch. Saturday she was playing her game with a Great Dane /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

She is not an affectionate dog. She likes to play, but as far as giving kisses and loving you, she's rather aloof. She does love to be scratched, and will grab your hand if you stop, which can be annoying after awhile....

She is very small, 11", and weighs 18.5#. She is extremely cute. She absolutely needs a doggie friend to live with and play with. She would not do well at all as an 'only dog'.

Daisy is spayed, up to date on all shots, and is microchipped. She is crate trained, and her crate, toys, and an extra bed will come with her. She is not fully housebroken. She will not poop in the house unless she is sick, (that happened only twice), but she will pee sometimes. (She has no signal that she needs to go out.)

Very important *she can scale a chain link fence*, so she will need a yard with another type of fence.

I am willing to drive up to 3 hours to get Daisy to her new home.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have copied your post to a couple of other groups I belong to. One lady and her husband are real dog lovers and would have taken her in a heartbeat - EXCEPT when they got to the part about the chain link fence. That's what they have in their back yard and can't afford to put up a different fence right now. She's going to try to find someone there who can take her because she does live near St. Louis! No one in my beagle group lives near - tho we have one member that just moved from there a few months ago - and she would have taken her - at least to foster - will keep trying to help. She's an adorable girl - I'm too far away to help in any other way!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beaglesmom, thanks so much for trying to help! Regarding the fence-- she had never done that until Tuesday. There were two dogs loose behind my house. Daisy kept running along the fence barking, then all of a sudden she just climbed up and out. I was shocked. Luckily she ran into someone else's fenced yard (gate was open) so I was able to get her.

I want to stress again, that she is not an affectionate dog. A prime example was yesterday. I take her to doggy daycare once a week. When I went to pick her up, she was definitely happy to see me, but it seems only because she would get to go home. None of the usual <span style="color: #3333FF">"IT'S MY MOM!!! HI MOM! HI MOM! KISS-KISS-KISS WHERE WERE YOU MOM?! KISS-KISS YOU'VE BEEN GONE FOR YEARS! KISS - HI MOM! HI MOM! KISS - MOMMOMMOMMOM!!!"</span> that most dogs do. Maybe that won't bother others as much as me, especially because she is so cute and playful. She will snuggle though. She sleeps in bed with me, often under the covers.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You know, beagles are like people. I have ten beagles - some are exceptionally "affectionate" and some are definitely more "aloof" - tho they all love me (and I know they do), I have some that will drown me in "doggie slobber" after taking the garbage out - and others who are just NOT "kissy kissy". I wish I could take her - but with ten here and being so far away, I just can't do it right now - I just can't afford the shipping costs. She would definitely be kept busy with my pack. My JoJo is a real "kisser" - my friend Margie gave her the nickname of "Miss Lick Lick" - and her boys, Joe and Jack are almost as bad. My Chloe, who is the light of my life, is NOT a kisser - she follows me everywhere, and wiggles her little butt so hard when I come home - but she also knows I don't really like "doggie slobbers" and doesn't do it. She's so in tune with me it's a little scary. The only time she "kisses" me is sometimes at night (she sleeps under the covers too) she will kiss my toes! What a silly little girl she is. Romeo is always happy to see me - but he is NOT a "kisser" - nor is Tanna - but then Tanna was never a "house dog" until he came to live with me. They're all different, and all individuals - and they're all loved! I hope your baby finds a great home SOON! I was so hoping that my internet friends in St. Louis could take her.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, beaglesmom. The fence thing is worse now /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif She got out twice this morning. The first time I lucked out and found her with a rabbit cornered under someone's porch. The second time she was running wild after rabbits, and wouldn't come at all. It took me awhile to capture her again. Anyone reading might wonder why there was a second time. Well, usually when I watch her, I say NO if she gets near the spot she climbs, which has been working. This time she paid no attention and I wasn't fast enough to catch her before she went over. Tonight when I got home I took her outside on a leash, and had I not, she would have climbed out again.

I had someone out giving me a quote on some work, and he said he lives about 120 miles from here, and knows a lot of people with beagles that would take her. I am not comfortable with that though, since I would have no idea about what kind of people they are. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I wouldn't be comfortable with that either. It's difficult for me to "give up" a dog - but the times it's been necessary (like when I had pancreatitis and major gall bladder surgery and was in the hospital for 2 weeks - then recuperating for about 6 months and wasn't able to care for the whole pack), I have been fortunate that I had internet buddies who took them. People that I knew - members of my beagle group - so I could keep up with the 3 I had to rehome. I will tell you I cried all day the day I took them to the airport even tho I KNEW they were going to great homes. I am extremely fussy about who buys my puppies - and they're sold with the stipulation that IF for any reason, the pup can't be kept, it is to be returned to ME. I will always take back one of my dogs for any reason. My Jack was one of my pups who went to a GREAT home, but the owners lived in the country and had 7 or 8 other dogs and 15-20 cats - Jack thought the cats were "short earred wabbits" and liked to chase them - so he was brought back "home" - and he's still here with me. He's a great little dog - very sweet and loving - but he does like those short earred wabbits!
My thoughts are with you - I hope you find the perfect home for your little girl. She is adorable - and probably would do best with someone with "beagle experience" - and a playmate for her. Big hugs!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know this was from awhile back but I am just now reading it. I live in Rolla and if I could I would take her in a heartbeat!! We are college students right now (until December) and with renting houses it is very rare to find a landlord that will allow a dog, let alone 2 dogs. Let me know how things are going and if you found her a home.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have not found a home for her yet /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

·
Registered
185 Posts
I live in St.Louis, and if we could we, we would, but we're stretched very tight financially, and this apartment is barely big enough for one dog...sorry /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

·
Registered
865 Posts
I know you have tried, it's obvious! But, is there anything that would make you want to keep Daisy? Is your biggest trouble her lack of affection? Seriously, I have been in your situation (had to let a cat go that I had for 9 years), so I am not judging you. I just wonder if we can come up with a way to help Daisy be more of the dog you want!

Toby was not an affectionate dog when I got him at 9 months old and I wouldn't say he became an affectionate dog until around 3 years old! It was like one day all the precosious (sp?) puppy-ness was replaced by a more laid back, loving dog.

Anyway, I thought it was worth asking! You may be past some of Daisy's worst!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Rosa was definately not an affectionate puppy. It took a long while for me to bond with her because of this. She didn't like to be cuddled, would ignore me when I came home and I felt no connection with her for a long time. She was at least 2 years old before we developed a close relationship.

I didn't love her any less just because we weren't close but i can understand how it makes you feel. I felt rejected.

Now things are very different. She has gone the other way and is affectionate to the point of being overbearing lol....but who am I to complain.

I hope things work out for you both x

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the commiseration. I called the rescue that I got her from, and they won't take her back, they are 'full'. I am looking for a no kill shelter, or considering talking to the guy mentioned above, who knows some beagle owners. I have spent a lot of time and money, just like with my other dogs over the years, and feel that I have done so much for this dog, but get nothing in return other than stress. I can't have my neighbor let her out anymore for fear of escape, so now I have to leave work every day to let her out, which is not easy. Otherwise she would be in a crate for 10 hours a day. I was just out of town for 4 days, and when I picked her up she ignored me like usual. I have had a number of dogs, and I've never experienced anything like this. Aside from that, she is still peeing in the house - last week *right in front of me* while we were playing. I'll refrain from describing what she's destroyed.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you google Silverwalk hounds, it will pull up a beagle rescue in MO. She is full, but her website says she will help you find a place. Maybe she knows of another Beagle rescue?

Anyway, thought I would pass it along...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update

Well, not even one call on Daisy. ~sigh~ I do care for her quite a bit, and decided that I just can't take her to a shelter.

Some days I think I will just keep her, other days, ('beagle days'), I think not. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Re: Update

I'm so relieved to read that you won't be taking Daisy to a shelter! She is so precious, I can't believe you haven't had any calls.

Some 'beagle days' are definitely harder than others, but I'm glad you're considering keeping her! Please keep us updated!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

I'm happy to read you reconsidered taking Daisy to a shelter. She's still a baby really. The "Beagle Days" get fewer and farther between as they get older. Jersey was a horrible puppy sometimes. Now she's such a good girl. Just try to stay patient and keep working on obedience. Don't give up on her just yet. It's hard having a puppy sometimes, but in the long run all the torture they put us through is well worth it.

Looking at Daisy's pictures again, she reminds me so much of my Jersey girl!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts

Sorry you are having a time with Daisy. I hope that you can find her a good home if that is what you truely believe is right.

Sadie's name when she was a puppy was Satan. Both of ours were wild when they were young, but espcially Sadie. They became more wild and destructive around age 1. They were kicked out of dog day care at age 1. Pooh Bear wasn't real loving when he was little and still does not like a lot of cuddling or mushy stuff.

Have you been to any dog training classes? We went to puppy kindergarden. It really didn't do me much good as I took them both by myself. But the good thing was that I could call the teacher/dog trainer about different problems and questions that I had. She gave me good advise.

I wonder if the 2 of you just haven't bonded. And wonder if some one on one dog training could help with that.

She is a pretty little girl. I know how much work they are, believe me. We got our 2 together as puppies so we had double trouble. The good thing was we knew a bit about Beagles because we had a single Beagle before these 2.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts