Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my name is Jess i am new to BW and i have had my beagle for 4 years this Christmas. His name is Yoda!!! He is a great dog, and like all Beagles loves to sniff... We feed him well (and take him for 2 walks a day so he doesnt get fat...Lucky Dog) But he occasionly gets dinner from the lady across the road!!! You just see his eyes light up when he smells her food . He is also a very smart dog as he knows how to get out of the pool rated fence (THROUGH THE GATE) (This is suppost to keep the kids out but yet my sneeky little Beagle can get through it) (Had to put a alligator strap so he cant get out) (Does anyone elses Beagles do this???) But we always know that if he ever gets out he will go straight to the lady across the roads house so we are not worried too much (But hes pretty good he doesnt run away the only thing he does all day is sleep!!!) The only thing i have found bad about my Beagle is his ear infections... He always seems to get Yeast Infections... The vet thinks it is because of an allergy to somthing... Does anyone else have this problem and do you know what your Beagle is allergic too??? Anyway that all from me today!!! It would be great if anyone has answers to my questions please Reply. Thanks Yoda's Mum
P.S. The name is from Starwars!!! Because he has BIG ears, hes little (not green though... :p ), and he has a light sabour tail!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hi there and welcome to Beagle World. Great name, Yoda! I love it. Beagles are smart little dogs. They can figure anything out if you give them enough time. It's no surprise that Yoda figured out how to get through the security gate. As for the ear infections, Jersey gets them in the summer. It seems that the more humid it is, the more infections she gets. I don't know if that's the cause or if it's an allergy to a summer pollen, but I know that the spring and summer are the worst time of year for us.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy Jess and a big arrroooo welcome to Yoda. Love the light-saber tail. Great name for a beagle. Too dang dry in the desert for my beagke to get yeast infections in his ears. I'm sure others will chime in. Looking forward to hearing more of Yoda's exploits. Welcome to Beagle World!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Welcome.

Our first Beagle, Bama, has a self proclimed motto: "I will not be restrained". Meanning he will not be in a cage, locked in a bathroom, gated and double gated in the kitchen.

He litterly destroyed a cage while he was in it. He tried to claw he way out of the bathroom to point where he cut up his paw pads on the carpet tack strip under the door. He escaped from a double gated kitchen only to be perched on top of the couch looking out the window when we came home. Now that was funny.

So we stopped trying to restrict him and just let him roam free while we are gone. And he agreed to stop reducing my furniture to bonfire starter.

May be extreme, but Beagles are preaty smart.
:biglaugh:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

Beagles are smart, but the stubborn in them makes people think otherwise. Our Murphy can open the back gate (now pinned shut). He has even figured out how to open the fridge. Imagine coming home and find the entire contents either on the floor or eaten.

As for the ears, Our Summer is prone to ear infections. We use Ottomax when we see little bumps on her ear flap, ears smell funny, or she paws at them. Also, try getting a cleanser from your vet and giving them a cleaning once a week, whether she needs it or not. That may help too.

Again, welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
G'Day Yoda's Mom! :wave:

It's been my experience that dogs in general who live in warm climates and whose ears hang down over themselves, (as opposed to ears that stay up...like a german shepherd) are more prone to ear yeast.

Yeast likes dark, moist places to grow and a nice, warm floppy dog ear can be just perfect.

Not all floppy ears get yeasty but for some reason, some dogs are more prone than others.

Joe's idea about a once a week cleaning with a cotton ball and some ear cleaner from the vet would probably make Yoda and you a bit more happier.

Welcome from Henry and I.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome, Yoda & Yoda's Mum! Surprised no one has mentioned it yet but we on BW LOVE pictures so please show us Yoda's sabour tail and big ears. There are picture posting directions in the "discussion" section -- near the top. Looking forward to hearing more about Yoda's antics -- sounds like you have your hands full! Re ear infections: my Maggie went through a period of time when she was quite prone to them -- did the weekly flushing after infections were treated with Otomax and she has not had any since.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Welcome to the pack! :wave:
It sounds like Yoda is quite the little escape artist. Caesar is really good at being bad. He's learning how to open doors, cupboards, etc... It's funny, I've often thought that when Caesar looks up at me and his ears flop back so that they're flat-out he looks like Yoda from Star Wars. Great name! I love it! Can't wait to see the pics.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World! :wave: I have nothing to add to the advice you've already gotten about ear infections. Will be looking forward to pictures and stories. Yoda sounds like a charmer. :heart:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Glad you found us!! Great to hear from someone "down under". Tummy rubs to Yoda.

Daisy gets yeast infections, but the meds clear it up in no time. It's just one of those things our Beagles get from time to time -- Moist ears are the most common cause. There are ear powders that can be used to keep them dry or at least drier. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Would love to hear more about your baby. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
862 Posts
A big welcome to you and Yoda!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Would love to hear more about you and the master jedi!!!

Pat

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to BW. pictures please. Yes, dogs with ears that hang down are prone to infections. regular cleaning should do the trick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts