Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pooh Bear, our 8 year old sweet male has been letting out a yipe about once or twice a day. The first time he did it about a week ago, I was walking close behind him and he yipped and looked up at me. I thought I had accidently stepped on his foot and apologized to him and petted him. But he has done it more. He can be just standing or walking along, and yipe. Just one yipe, and then he is fine. I've examined his feet, his nails are way long and I'm wondering if a nail is bothering him. He is walking fine, no limping or slowness. Or what is it?? I'm making him an appt. to get his nails clipped, his anal glads done and an exam.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Obviously something is hurting - glad you're taking him to the vet. Keep us updated. Hopefully it's just a nail. It's so hard for me to trim the pack's nails - so I usually just have it done when I take one in for shots or whatever. Only takes the vet a couple of minutes to do it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oh my gosh.. I hope it is his nails and nothing more serious.

A couple weeks ago Arty's nails were getting too long and I didnt have a chance to cut them yet so I figured we'd go on a walk on the pavement to naturally file them shorter. We came back, he jumped on the bed, and I grabbed him to cuddle him and all of a sudden he lets out this huge long howl/yowl sound heard around the house. Everyone came in to see what happened! We looked at his paws and found that one of this nails had sort of splintered so when he was on the bed and I picked him up, it got caught on the bed sheet.. kind of like when you yank on a hangnail by accident I guess!!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are back from the vet. Got Pooh's nails trimmed and anal glans expressed (they were very full). She felt all around his body. As she was checking his spine I was holdling my breath, because Sadie already has back problems. About in the middle of his back when she pressed, he licked his lips a lot and looked back at her (as if to say, don't do that). No extreme pain or anything, but definitely hurts him right there. They gave him a prescrption for Tramadol (anti-inflammatory) and to take it easy. He takes it very easy anyway, as he is a very laid back fella.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Oooh - yipe is right... hope the anti-inflammatory and taking it easy work for Pooh. And what you describe was just like Booker's reaction when something was wrong with her earlier this summer - about halfway down her back she turned around and looked at the vet... she didn't cry out but it was <span style="text-decoration: underline">very</span> clear she wanted her to stop. I'm happy to report that after 6-8 weeks of an anti-inflammatory and reduced activity (also not hard for Booker...) she is back to normal and doesn't seem to have any lingering discomfort. So Booker is sending good vibes to Pooh for a full recovery too!

·
Registered
223 Posts
oh wow... what could cause something like that to happen? Esp since the two dogs sound like they're pretty mellow dogs,it doesnt seem as if they'd be jumping up and down all the time enough to injure their backs?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Poor Pooh Bear! I hope the anti-inflammatorys help. It's no fun being in pain. We'll keep our fingers and paws crossed for a quick recovery.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Hope the anti-inflammatory helps Pooh Bear! I hate it when one of my pack has any kind of physical problem - sometimes I think it hurts ME almost as much as it does them. Give Pooh a big (gentle) hug for all of us!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr. Pooh Bear is just fine. I started him on the medicine last night. He really was fine anyway, except for the occasional yipe out of no where.

Who knows how they hurt their backs.

·
Registered
276 Posts
we will be keeping both you and Pooh Bear in our thoughts and prayers.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Glad to hear Pooh Bear is feeling better! Hugs to them both!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts