Our Beagle World Forums banner

Yikes!! Daisy had a tick!!

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  littlemo 
#1 ·
Last week I found a thing on Daisy's belly. It looked so odd but Hubby had been eating peanut brittle in bed and I found many pieces stuck to him and the carpet. (Don't eat peanut brittle in Bed!!) So I thought this thing was sticky peanut brittle in Daisy's hair.

Our neighbor gets Hubby up and dressed every morning and found the thing on the floor. Then he called me all excited to come look. The thing had legs and was moving. We put it in a little cup and I called my nephew (a biology teacher) to ask if he knew what it was. I have never seen anything like it. The body was kind of hard and was about the size of a dime. It was a pale gray color with white splotches on it.

I went online and found similar things that were ticks! So I called our vet and made a appt. for Daisy. I took her in today and the vet took the tick (I brought it along) and said she would contact the manufacturer of K9 Advantix to tell them their product didn't seem to be working like it should. She gave Daisy a good exam -- no more ticks -- cleaned the area (Daisy had some red pin pricks and some dried blood there) and we went home with 14 days worth of Cephalexin.

Everybody was telling me that here in northern Ohio deer ticks are not a problem. Well, more and more deer are moving into our neighborhood so I guess they're bringing the ticks with them. I am concerned about Lyme Disease and hoping this one tick didn't carry it. Have any of you had this happen to you?

We are also checking for low thyroid. Daisy seems to be gaining weight lately. I'll know tomorrow.

Sorry this is so long. I'm a little worried!

Monica and Daisy

See less See more
#4 ·
We take an average of 8-9 ticks off our dogs daily! Here they can carry lymes desease and worse.-summer meningitis. Our two are vacinated against Lymes once a year, pity they dont have a vacine for us humans. We used to use Frontline plus but try not to if we can help it. When Susi and Snoopy come home from their walks we examine them and remove as many ticks as possible before they have attached thenselves. Dave and I have both had two ticks ourselves this year, fortunately with no problems.
Try not to panic about ticks, unless you live in a known region for Lymes and meningitis then there is no problem.
Our Susi is an expert at sniffing out ticks on Snoopy, we know where to look!I put photos on a couple of weeks ago of Susi doing this.

#5 ·
Luckily, we have never had a tick on any of our dogs, but that's only because we don't have them around our area. But my mom's dog did once and like Doghouse said, they aren't a horrible problem, but the Lyme vaccine would ease your mind if it's in your area.

My coworker (who goes to the same vet we do) told me they just switched her to a new flea/tick med called Comfortis that is a monthly cheable beef tablet, but I'm not sure if it works on ticks as well. Something else to ask the vet about tomorrow. I think I need to start a list! LOL

#6 ·
I find ticks occasionally, mostly because we live in the woods. The frontline seems to be working, though, because the ticks are always crawling around blindly on fur and not attaching. It worries me too, but I've gotten a bit used to it. I need to ask my vet about the Lyme vaccine...

#11 ·
Re: Yikes!! Daisy had a tick!! -- Update...

Just wanted to tell you that the vet's office got Daisy 8 months worth of K9 Advantix free!

They also have sent the tick to an Ohio agency for identification. Other than this, Daisy seems to be fine, but still on antibiotics. I'm just so glad that she's actine normal and up to her old tricks -- stealing goodies, howling for treats and offering her belly for a rub every time I pass by her on the floor.

Out of curiosity, I can't wait to find out if they know what kind of tick it is.

Take care, everyone!!

Monica and Daisy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.