Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry folks for posting another MY dog is agressive thread. But after an hour of searching through the Forum, I havent really found any similiar posts.

Here is what is happening. My Beagle is about 7 years old, he came from a shelter, and he is very lovable, playful etc. All those great Beagle traits. Well, its mostly when I get down on floor level with him, and kind of give him a small hug, and kiss his ears or something does he really do it. Or sometimes when he is on the bed, and I want to hug him he growls. He doesnt show his teeth at all, and he doesnt try to bite. He just sits there and growls non-stop. If I back off, and ask him if he wants to go on a walk, he gets all excited and jumps around on the bed. But as soon as I try to hug him, he growls again.

Its very strange. Any ideas?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ummmm this is only a guess but perhaps He is in pain around the area? ear infection perhaps? or something else, pain is my guess, from how your describing.

wishing good thoughts!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe a trip to the vet wouldnt hurt.

Thank you.

·
Registered
837 Posts
How long have you had him for?

It could be that he's in pain or it could be that he finds you crouching over him or getting in his face intimidating.

Some dogs don't like being crowded or grabbed; if you think about the way dogs intimidate each other they do so by puffing themselves up and getting in each others space - so even if you don't mean to be intimidating, he could be reading your body language as threatening. Do you do any training with him?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smeagle, that makes sense.

I adopted him, and his last owner was pretty abusive. We do basic training typ stuff. The normal commands. Sit, stay, down, recall. And he does pretty well.

·
Registered
837 Posts
If he was abused he could very well be feeling intimidated or stressed if people crowd near him.

This is something you can work on, by being a fair and consistent leader, and teaching him to trust you.

Although some dogs are never really touchy-feely cuddly dogs, you can work on getting him to feel more comfortable.

Don't worry so much about going over to him, let him come to you. Reward him for getting close to you if you are sitting on the floor on his level. How long have you had him for?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dogs are not born wanting and loving being close to humans (in a vulnerable position), it is very threatening. Maybe he was not socialized correctly, he may be in pain, but more likely, not all dogs like being hugged,squeezed! That is something you start at a young age and pair it with good things so they enjoy it. Does he like being petted? If so, just stick to that and forget the hug thing, it is very uncomfortable for dogs. Only one of mine enjoys it because since she was young I would start short and when I was done we played!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a boxer/lab that was abused, and it took me 2 months before I was able to hug and kiss her, and be at her level. It takes time and trust to get this close. I would suggest a vet visit to make sure it's nothing medical and since there may be no history or knowledge of neglect in the pups past, it wouldn't her to look into how to approach fear aggresive dogs. Training classes help as well for boosting confidence.

·
Registered
889 Posts
We've had similar issues with Rocky. He doesn't really like being picked up and held and he used to not really like being hugged. He would do the same thing, a low growl but no teeth. We've worked with him and after 2 years he's gotten quite a bit better. He still doesn't really like being picked up but the rest has gotten better. I think Rocky's problem, and maybe your pups problem, could be fear/intimidation, like others have said. We're pretty sure that's Rocky's issue. We have used the technique that Smeagle suggested and try to encourage Rocky to come to us instead of vice versa. It's definitely a useful technique.
Keep us posted and just keep trying with him!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts