Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man i did not realise that puppys were so much work lol. All she does when i leave her in the crate is YELP YELP YELP!!! really really loud. She does this non stop for about an hour then goes to sleep then does it again when she needed the toilet at 5am, which is awesome because it means that she went outside instead of in her crate (how cool is that). Then she didn;t stop when i put her back in, then she stopped after a while. then started at 7 - 9 NON STOP> YELP YELP YELP!!!

ARRRRRRRGGGG!!!!!!

But the vet said she was perfect and Timber's first trip there was a great success.

So all i need to do now is stop her yelping when she goes into her crate or is left alone, i always have to cuddle her or play with her and she'll stop.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Peter, she's just like a newborn baby almost. Babies will cry when you put them down because they want the attention all the time. If you keep taking her out the crate and cuddling her when she's noisy she will very quickly learnt that is the way to get your attention. I know it's hard but ignore her when she's making a noise then as soon as she is quiet and you wish to cuddle her, take her out then.

She is missing her mum and her littermates. One trick to get her to settle is to get a hot water bottle (microwaveable ones are best) and wrap it in a pillow case and put it in her crate. She will snuggle against it like it is her mum and she should settle quicker for you.

PS. Also at night you could put a blanket over the top of the crate and let it hang down the sides. This creates a den like feel and keeps away any draughts.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I forgot to mention that the only exception to taking her out the crate when she cries is if you think she may need to go to the toilet /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hi5.gif

Oh my gosh I had forgotton just how hard raising a puppy is too...I'm worn out just thinking about it lol

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
The hot water bottle is a good idea. Also a ticking clock sometimes works. When we leave our we leave the radio on, seems to help.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You could also try putting a toy in for her or a puppy sized filled Kong so she has something to occupy her.
I also agree do not take her out just because she cries wait til she is quiet then take her out.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Just plunking a dog in a crate is usually not a good way to train them in it. You should feed her in there, let her play in there, do everything fun in the crate so that it turns into a good thing. Also, often if you are crating them in a different room at night, this can be stressful at first because they have never been alone. They are so used to being with the pack, it isnot normal for them not to be with "their pack" all the time.

Stick with it, it will get easier, I promise. And yes, puppies are a lot more work than what most people realize.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It does get better! Linus appears to take to the crate really well. I don't normall try to trick him to get in the crate but kind (lovingly) push him into it sometimes. He may wimper a few moments but normally just realizes that's where he will be for a while. our nights have been very good with him in teh crate. I believe our breeder did a fantastic job with him before we picked him up. Hang in there!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am sooooo Tired today.

The only time she will go in the crate is when she is basically already sleeping lol. an i crry her in, otherwise she will howl for hours.

She is always wanting to cuddle and play the whole time lol, which i guess is better than a docile or boring dog but its very hard work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We had the same problem with Maddie. It took us about a week to learn that taking her out of the crate when she cries is a bad idea! Each time she would cry louder and longer until we took her out. Finally, we decided to see what would happen if we left her. After making sure she was pottied, we put her in and let her whine. It took a while the first few nights, but now, three weeks later she goes in with little or no protest. Although I'm new here, my advice would be stick to it! It's hard to hear them whine and cry, but it will subside if you are consistent.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Stick with it Peter!! Show your lil girl who the boss is...LOL!! Hang in there.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Hang in there Peter! I got a late start with crate training Maggie, and didn't really start putting her in it until 3-4 weeks ago, but I am seeing signs of improvement in the length of time she protests.

It's definitely a slow process, and you're going to hear lot's of whinning and barking, but it will get better. Just remember to give her lot's of love and attention when she's out of the crate!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Hang in there Peter! Puppies are a lot of hard work, and as has been said on this board many times:
"God made puppies cute so you wouldn't kill them" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

You've been given some great advice on this thread. Good Luck. (And remember, there will be many sleepless nights until she gets into a routine, but she'll be worth all the hard work.) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/soapbox.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts