Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so the night before last I didn't get much sleep (jees, I feel like I have a baby, and I'm not even married), because Chloe was shaking her head so hard, and her beautiful silky floppy ears kept hitting her skull so hard, that the noise just kept me up. So finally I have decided to give up, and spent the next 5.5 hours of sleep, not asleep /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif . I immediately realized that something is wrong, and tried cleaning her ears, but after (one cotton ball for each ear) I saw tons of brown goo coming out of one /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif , I just kept petting her for the rest of the night.
I "woke up" thinking that she has a very sever ear infection shaking her head and digging in her ears, that the first thing I did getting to work was call the vet and got an appointment for the same evening...
The vet checked, and did a ear mite slide, and then came back into the room to tell me its just a mild yeast infection, and it should pass in a few days using a cream....
I'm so relieved!!!! and she was so cooperative last night when I treated her.... I just adore this pup! :heart:

Something was bothering her about 2-3 weeks ago, but there was nothing... I guess it was just the beginning....

·
Registered
55 Posts
You are lucky that Chloe is so cooperative! I'm glad it was just a mild infection. Hopefully the cream will clear it up in a few days.

Bailey won't let us or the vet TOUCH her ears. She's been shaking her head a lot so I'm wondering if there's a problem there but we cannot get near them to look! I mean, she is a pistol. I wonder if others here have trouble doing certain things like clipping toenails, looking in ears, etc? When ours were puppies, we did the touching all over thing to get them used to us having the ability to do anything to them but it sure didn't work. They are like trying to hold wild cats down!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hope Chloe's ear clears up soon, and that you can get some sleep!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been there! Jersey gets frequent ear infections, no matter how diligent I am about keeping them clean. Amber used to get them all the time too. The last time that Jersey had one, she did the ear shaking thing all night too. I actually had to take two allergy pills just so that I was knocked out enough to sleep through it. What medicine did they give you for Chloe? Jersey got Ottomax for the last infection and that worked great.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Oh, how I can relate!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Living in this part of the world where it's hot and humid all year round (except for a few 'cool' days during what we call 'winter'), Boeing's ears get infected quite often, sometimes in just one ear and sometimes both. We keep a stock of the ear cream refrigerated so we don't need to drive to the vet too often.

Hope the infection in Chloe's ear goes away soon.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm glad that Chloe's infection isn't more serious. Li'l Girl hasn't been bothered with ear problems, thank goodness.

This evening, though, my calico cat, Miss Priss, came in holding her head at an odd angle and shaking it frequently. When I managed to look into her ears, I found scads of brown gunk in the left one. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Have tried cleaning it, but am sure she'll need to go to the vet in the morning. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif She's the cat from Hell at the vet's so it'll be quite a challenge trying to doctor her ear.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well... 3 days into the treatment, its starting to look better. She doesn't shake her ears almost at all, and the brown yuck, is coming out in smaller and smaller amounts.... my guess is 3 more days until it clears and 5 more for preventive treatment..... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to hear that Chloe is getting better! I would suggest that you talk wih your vet about a regular ear cleaning maintenance program -- usually this involves pouring ear cleaner solution into each ear once a week, swishing it around and then standing back (way back) as the pup shakes stuff out -- then wiping gently with cotton to get exterior moisture out. It never made sense to me that putting liquid into the ears would prevent yeast infections (which thrive in moisture) but it works!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do that once a week, but somehow the yeasts managed to find their way back.... but now - after all will be done, we'll do twice a week.... and if all is clear, we'll go back to once a week... thanks

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Like other chronic conditions, some dogs seem more prone to yeast infections. My Maggie's ears have never had problems.....but her back end is in constant 'maintenance mode' with anal glands and bladder infections.
(I told her if we surgically removed her hind-end , she'd be the perfect dog /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif She didn't think that was funny)

I'm glad Chloe is feeling better today! :heart:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts