Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were at a woodsy park with Mocha on Wednesday evening (don't know if that's related or not...) and Thursday we noticed that she was biting off her fur on her back hind area. Since then, the area has become very red and this 'hot spot' has grown substaintially. We thought maybe it was a misquito or bug bite, so we shaved the area down, cleaned it with mild soap, and put on hydrogen peroxide. We then put some polysporin on the area and have tried to cover it with gauze, but it is obviously very itchy and bothering her a lot so she is still continuing to lick and bite at the area. We have started giving her a bit of benadryl to help with the itching in hopes that it will heal, but it doesn't seem to be healing at all.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what it could be??? There is no specific pattern to the sore, and since it is spreading like this, I'm thinking it's probably more than just a misquito bite. She has been sleeping a lot and not really too active, I think it bothers her when she moves.

We have an app't booked with the vet for tomorrow afternoon, but we are just trying to make her comfortable till then.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Mocha! With the timing of the walk in the woodsy area and the onsight of the problem, it doesn't sound like a coincidence. My thought is that she got bit by something. The benedryl is a good idea and going to the vet is the best idea. I have to give you a lot of credit for shaving the area! I always had such a hard time when the vet had to shave an area on my Maggie -- it certainly made it easier for medication application but I hated to see her lose her beautiful fur. Please be sure to give us an update after the vet visit.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Wow, could a tick or spider bite do that by chance? I've not seen anything like that so I have nothing to offer in the way of advice, but I feel bad for both you and Mocha. How miserable Mocha must be. Like Judy I will be curious to know what the vet says.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Poor Mocha! If that was on me I would be going crazy and you can not explain to her, don't scratch! My first though was poison ivy or poison oak, something like that, but then she would have spread it to her face trying to lick it. You have got a first class mystery here. You have the resources of many beagle owners here and we all seem to be stumped. Hope the vet has some answers and some relief for poor Miss Mocha (and you)!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Forgot to mention before -- your vet may well do a skin scraping to help with the diagnosis. My Maggie had many skin scrapings during her lifetime -- it was hard for me to watch but they didn't seem to bother her very much.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm bumping this up -- am worried that we haven't heard from Jenn n Mocha in quite a while. If anyone knows her, please ask her to give us an update.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Poor baby, that looks itchy and/or painful! I agree about the Benadryl and maybe some antiobiotic cream applied gently.

Please let us know how the appt goes and what it is!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Poor Mocha, that looks very uncomfortable. I have no advice to offer, but I wish her the very best at her apt. Hopefully the vet will have some helpful answers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts