Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, so right now I am thinking of getting a beagle. I’ve did a lot of research on beagles and can see they were used as hound dogs. They love using their noses to sniff and hunt things I'm sure? Well i was thinking of getting one and i have quite a large back garden and it is all fenced off so a dog shouldn’t be able to get out (hopefully). Although i live beside a field and on the other side of the fence there is normally sheep and lambs. Just wondering do yous think a beagle would be safe or would it constantly be trying to get out and into the field? Sorry if this sounds silly lol

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Beagles have the highest scent ability after a blood hound so a beagle will definitely smell the livestock and want to get to them. You would definitely need a secure fence/yard. My dog spends her days trying to get to lizards we have in our area. I suggest you read all you can on the breed especially if you intend to get a puppy. If you do get a beagle this is a good place for advice.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Welcome to Our Beagle World! Rascal is 11 or 12 we think. Keep an eye on your new one when you get him or her. Rascal has found a couple of ways out of our fenced yard over the years. They are blocked now but keep an eye out always and check frequently :D

They are determined and inquisitive sweet hearts!
techie

·
Super Moderator
5,051 Posts
I am always outside with my beagles even though I have a 6 foot vinyl fence. If you do get a beagle, especially an adult, be outside with him/her and teach them to love their yard. He might bark at the livestock unless he can safely meet them and get used to them. Your yard actually sounds like a beagle would be very happy, they love to sniff and investigate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts