Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted yesterday about putting Miley in obedience class because in all honesty she is making us quite frustrated.

Yesterday we had a semi "blow up" in my house because my husband and oldest son mentioned maybe giving her to a family with more patience /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotatesmiley2.gif I panicked.

We love her but she is kind of "difficult". You can't pet her because she jumps all over the place, she has no interest in playing with my younger two children who want so desparately to play with her.

I'm used to stubborn dogs as I once assisted my grandfather in training police dogs and have had bullmastiffs my whole life up until now.

So...(sorry this is so long), I made a pact to myself and to Miley last night that I will make her a pet that everyone loves and wants to be around but I know I have my work cut out for me.

Anyway have any words of encouragement that I CAN do this?? I really don't want my husband and son saying that they want to get rid of her. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

·
Registered
786 Posts
You seem determined and you will be able to make her part of your pack.

We have 2 sister beagles and its been very trying at times. Now that they are just turning 2 they are calming down. That doesn't mean we don't have to watch them 95% of the time. I just found Jasmine with a baseball glove in her mouth and Maggie loves q-tips. Again though we have to make sure doors are closed and personal items are put away, so not to set them up for failure. I have baby gate on all rooms I don't want them in and at night they sleep in my kitchen (they use to sleep with us, but they are such pack animals they sleep on top of you, not too comfortable) and during the day they are crated. The jumping has almost stopped, unless one of my kids gets them going......

But I know you can do it and please post and let us know how your making out....

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
How old is Miley? Maggie is going to be 2 in a few weeks and she has settled down a lot. You can do this. I think the key is to stay consistent and calm. I teach first grade so I have a lot of practice being firm but not angry. I try to be proactive also as was just mentioned. I still close doors in the house, keep things away from the edge of the counters,etc. Maggie still gets a firm "off" command if she puts her paws on the counter. She is learning.
Its really important to take the things you learn at obedience class and practice them at home over and over. There are fewer distractions at home so its a good place to make those commands routine. I would choose the thing that is most important to you and really emphasize that. Practice it multiple times in a day until it is automatic. Its easy to get frustrated but your dog picks up on that frustation so try to stay calm. Try to see the humor in the things Miley does. I always have great lunchroom stories to share and my students often ask what Maggie did last night. (of course, being first graders, they all claim to have their own beagles at home.)Good luck. It sounds like you are willling to work at it so you will be fine.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Pam and Connie are right. I'm still waiting for Chloe to settle down a bit (she is not even 14 months old yet). I don't really think that any other breed group is like the hounds, Beagles especially. They are challenging and I think it's part of their charm. You need a lot of patience and maybe you can get some advice at the class on how to incorporate your kids to help with her training, and so they learn to communicate with her and in time play with Miley in a gentler way.

Don't discourage, just be patient and persistant /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I'm sure there were many, many times while raising your son that you got frustrated, questioned you parenting abilities, and were on the verge of tears. You didn't give up, but instead knew that the life given to you was a blessing, and that carried you through the bumps in the roads. It's no different with Miley once you make up your mind that she is yours, forever.

When I feel like I have reached the end of my rope, life always finds a way to remind me that even though I may be struggling, there are people out there that are struggling with worse things. I have been blessed by the lives that have touched mine and, I will die happy and content, living a fulfilled life, if just one being feels the same about me.

Some quotes that I find helpful:
Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.

If I were asked to give what I consider the single most useful bit of advice for all humanity, it would he this: Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life and when it comes, hold your head high, look it squarely in the eye and say, "I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me.

We are made to persist. That's how we find out who we are.

The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.

Any change, any loss, does not make us victims. Others can shake you, surprise you, disappoint you, but they can't prevent you from acting, from taking the situation you're presented with and moving on. No matter where you are in life, no matter what your situation, you can always do something. You always have a choice and the choice can be power.

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do.

I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be happy. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be compassionate. It is, above all to matter, to count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you lived at all.

Our lives are not determined by what happens to us but by how we react to what happens, not by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events, and outcomes. It is a catalyst, a spark that creates extraordinary results.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I will also had that we brought Abby home at 3 1/2 months. There were quite a few times between Abby's house breaking and chewing stages where Béla said "THAT'S IT I'VE HAD IT!" and we would fight tooth and nail about giving her up. I always refused, always, even though there were times were I would get soooo frustrated having to clean up one more wet spot I would almost cry because I didn't understand why she just couldn't pee outside. He may have "given up" on her but I did not. I had made up my mind that I was responsible for her and I refused to believe she wouldn't or couldn't learn. I knew Abby was worth the fight, and the extra effort (and love). Abby will be 3 in May and life is good. Abby has given me more than I have ever given her...even during those "horrible" puppy moments. She is not "just a dog" as Béla use to say, she is my best friend.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I know how you feel. My husband told me a couple of times to give Caesar away. Everyone has great advice. You need patience and remain calm. She will pick up on what you're feeling so try not to get frustrated or angry. I know it's hard sometimes. You seem dedicated to her so that's a good start. Just keep at it, consistancy is the key. Obedience class is a good start. Are there any trainers in your area that offer more specialized training classes? For example a class on teaching you and your dog to walk with pulling, barking etc... At 16 months she should start to calm down in the next few months.

Good Luck. Let us know your progress.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jamie - I printed this out (and will continue to do so) for when I'm on the verge of tears thinking it's hopeless. I'll read these posts and get re-charged.

I will not give up on her, I don't believe in abandoning any family member be it human or animal. I just hate the stress when she's acting "all nuts" as my son puts it and I can tell the whole house is frustrated with her.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Our dalmation Sparky was terrible to train. We tried ourselves with no luck. We had a trainer come to the house one on one with us and the dog and our children. Needless to say, he is very well behaved now.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Jamie, that was a beautiful post. So very true and touching!

We have had quite a few moments of banging our heads on the wall since we adopted Duke. Having had labs before, we found ourselves comparing a lot. Then we had to realize 2 things, 1st was that it had been so long since the labs were pups, we forgot what a pain it was. The second was that Duke's personality and love for life and all things fun made up for the grief he caused us. Like Jamie said, he has given us so much more than we have given him. The life and youth and playfulness he has brought back into our house and into our other animals is worth more than anything I can think of. I have no doubt he has added time to the labs' lives and that is beyond compare.

Now there have been some very trying times with Duke. He was a monster as a pup and though he is calming down now, there are still times he drives us crazy (my step-son still calls him a "spaz"). Luckily, my husband is very supportive and the thought of giving Duke up has never entered either of our minds. Society in whole has become so disposable and I see it all too often in my own family. We refuse to consider any of our animals as disposable. They are our family, and just like the rest of our family, there are times we get angry or frustrated with them. But they are still our family and we still love them with all our heart. Good for you for feeling the same way about Miley!

Like others have mentioned, be pro-active! Close doors, pick things up out of the way. Our way of life has changed drastically since Duke, but just last night I was realizing that I no longer have to follow his every move because I have the house secure and know that he can only get into minor things. Yes, he will always be a clothes thief (and shoes, socks, books, lol), but I do see him settling down and maturing.

We did puppy school and we plan to do intermediate when the next class begins and maybe even advanced after that. I figure we plan to have Duke for many years (God willing) and to take a few months' time to train him to be the dog we want is worth the effort.

Best of luck! And know that we're here when you need to vent.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone is so encouraging (I'll need it in the future too!) Thinking about her right now I wish I can go home for lunch and give her a huge hug. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/doh00000.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hang in there!

Add me to the list of those who cried and banged their head against the wall in the early days.

Henry was not a puppy but a sick, frightened adult. He had probably never been inside a house before or had a human be kind to him. Added to that were painful heartworm treatments and multiple stays at vet offices (at VA Tech) where he wondered what he had done to deserve what was happening to him.

Through it all...and I cleaned more bloody poop and pee spots (the pee in the house hasn't stopped, only lessened), when my husband was giving me mean looks and silently blaming me for bringing Henry into the house...I would look at Henry's face and know for a fact that I was all that stood between him and any other unknown fate.

Giving Miley to a "more patient" family doesn't guarantee that she will be treated well. Once she's out of your home, nobody can guarantee that she will be given the care that you can give her. It's up to you to make sure she doesn't end up a shelter turn-over by a more "patient" family.

Continue training school, practice, have the kids work with her, clean the mess and Miley-proof the house. And when husband and son suggest giving up on her...stand your ground.

Believe me, it will bet better. Don't let Miley see you get upset...put on a happy face.

Alot to ask you to do but puppies are work, some more than others.

Hang in there, you...can...do...it!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif~Denise

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Keep going, you'll make it in the end. We had lots of problems with our rescue, Susi, and even replaced our lounge carpet twice, but we got there in the end. Do you watch Cesar Millan? We have some of his DVDs here and they have helped a lot.If only by seeing that other people have far greater problems!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Kioko is not house training. She's one of those dogs that is going to take up to a YEAR to potty train. That's just how it is. We're not doing it wrong. We're not missing any suggestions or tips. We've actually found a method that she is being more successful on than before, so we're sticking with it.

But.

She still poops and pees in her crate and in my home. It's INFURIATING. It broke my heart with my little daughter said, "Kioko is a bad dog. I don't want to play with her 'cause she pooped and made you cry." I decided then that I was going to show my daughter that you don't give up on a family member. When you take on a dog...you take it on for life. It's moral obligation, and that's SO important. So many people have forgotten what that means.

I come here and to another beagle group to get my support and keep my spirits up.

I focus on the WONDERFUL qualities Kioko has. She's a perfect dog for our family...and I can't believe that she will NEVER get it. Eventually, she'll get it. She's healthy and we're consistent...so some day, she will be house broken.

Miley will come around as she matures, and you will get some great tools in obedience class. We've got poop. You've got spastic beagle freak syndrome. But we'll persevere because we meant forever when we took them home. They're just being beagles...and isn't that what we asked for? /grin

You can do this. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey I know it is tough right now but keep going!! Maggie was a little ham until about 1 1/2 years and all of a sudden she just settled down. Don't get me wrong, she is still playful but she doesn't chew everything up anymore and doesn't act crazy all the time. Good luck with obedience classes!! You can do it!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just wanted to add my support as well. We'll all been there. It takes time to train a puppy/young dog. You will get there.

That said, a couple of suggestions.
1) Take your husband and son to the obedience classes if you are allowed, so they can see the training methods, and the whole family will act consistently with Miley.
2) Can you increase the amount of exercise Miley gets? Our worst behavior with Lucy and Flora occurs when we don't get them out often enough. A tired beagle is a good beagle! Your comment about Miley acting crazy just reminded me of how ours act when they have too much energy and too little exercise.

Stick with it, all the trouble now is SO worth it in the end.

Arooo from Lucy and Flora.
Sylvia

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's an update!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/toofunny.gif

I'm so happy!! Miley had her first obedience class at Petsmart, I can't say it went well but it was her first one BUT!!!!

We went to the dog run for the first time, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/gaah.gif she was in her GLORY! She absolutely loved it. I was nervous because it's a very big fenced in area and I thought I would never be able to "catch" her once it was time to leave. She was awesome! She played great with the other dogs and when it was time she leave, she came right over to me and sat down.

Small steps but I was so proud of her!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Congratuations, Glad it went well.
Be sure to spend time at home every day practicing what you learned in class. It will pay off at the next class. When we have Maggie at an off leash area, she keeps and eye on where we are and comes over to check that we are still there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts