Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to suggest and let you know about Pet food .. It is certainly stomach twitching to hear the horror about the Pet food industry.. We hear about how dogs are allergic to this or that & we don't get the better results especially the Recall List

Most of the food chain pet stores that are selling for profile, the big company names such as Purina, Science Diet, Iams to name a few that are ripping our money to sell what they think are QUALITY or fit the nutritious values for our pets. Lets look past those talent design & the cute puppies/kittens on the bag & start looking what is going in our dog's bodys?

If you look at Science Diet - Puppy Lamb Meal & Rice Formula ingredients
<span style="font-weight: bold">Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Gluten Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Animal Fat</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">(preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor,</span> Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Look at Wellness Lamb, Barley & Salmon Meal Recipe ingredients

NO) Meat By-Products
NO) Wheat
NO) Corn
NO) Soy
NO) Artificial Colors or Flavors
NO) Artificial Preservatives

Lamb, Menhaden Fish Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Rye Flour, Tomato Pomace, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Salmon Meal, Rice Bran, Tomatoes, Ground Millet, Natural Lamb Flavor, Ground Flaxseed, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite], Vitamins [Beta-Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement], Choline Chloride, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Chicory Root Extract, Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation products.

Which would you rather feed your dogs?

To look at more information about what goes on in your pet's diet! I suggest reading this book called Pets Food to Die For: Shocking Facts About Pet Food by Ann N. Martin

Few Sites to look at
The Dog Food Project

Dog Aware

Pet Food Additives to Avoid

What ingredients should I avoid in my pet's food?

Get the Facts: What's Really in Pet's Food?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: MoonStr80

Which would you rather feed your dogs?
Raw? :p

ultimately the best food for your dog is the food your dog does best on. Whilst its worthwhile knowing a bit about dog food so you can make an educated choice, not all dogs will do well on the same diet.

Even though I am an advocate for a BARF diet, and I think its worthwhile giving it a go if you haven't - only two of my three dogs eat a complete raw diet. One of them has allergies and cannot eat a lot of red meat, which makes up a huge chunk of a BARF diet. This is why she eats half raw, half dried food - I love feeding raw and see the benefits but the reality is it is not for every dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.