Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I've posted about bringing in trainer due to some of Marley's behavior. (nipping, pouncing, etc)

Well, I must say, I am very pleased with the outcome. The trainer is very nice, and is compassionate toward the owner's perspective and what she thinks the dog is conveying/feeling as well. She equipped us with a few good things to say/do. She taught him, and then taught us. It was really interesting. I was happy to see that some of the things she was doing, I'd started with him already so I was on track - I just didn't have the specialized technique. He did really really well and has already starting cooperating more and less nipping. She does not support any startle tactics, physical correction, or even yelling. However, she did say we are human and if the behavior is escalated she understands someone might have to use them (such as a yell and loud clap). She said they should not be the primary training method though. We had a great time. He was worn out by the time she left. The session lasted about 2 hours. She gave us pre-typed notes at the end that pertained to what we want to correct so that when we were on our own, we would not forget. She also offered for us to call her anytime for help. She comes back in 2 weeks to see how he's doing, and to move on to the next part of trainig if we are doing well.

He is so much calmer already it is amazing. I mean, don't get me wrong, he's got a little ways to go still but the change is wonderful.
Wooohooo!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah, and one thing I really like is that she is teaching us to use signals for direction. So instead of saying sit, we are teaching him the signal for sit, etc. I was using signals before but also saying sit sit sit at the same time. Amazing to see him understand the signals and stay with them without us saying a word. We are trying to take no out of our vocabulary because it is overused, needless to say.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
So glad to hear that your trainer experience was a positive one for everyone! I have always used hand signals with Maggie and she responds well to them. Now that age-related hearing loss has set in, they come in really handy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's awesome; great to hear things are working out so well!

If you don't mind me asking, how much is it costing to have the trainer come to your home?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We were going to do the 8 week puppy course at petsmart but since he had a few specific issues to be addressed, we got a in home one. Could not wait for 5 months of age and felt he needed some personal attention. It's 360 for 4 sessions, each session being 1.5 to 2 hours. Not bad when I think that we get one on one training. She is addressing the behavior issues but also training on commands, etc. She trains inside and then outside as well. Hope it works.

·
Registered
158 Posts
this is really interesting, but I was wondering - what does the trainer actually do?? I mean from what you've said I imagine that as soon as your trainer came through the door Marley started going crazy for attention - how did she react?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Marley was very curious, and nervous. She had him one leash, stepped on it, took out her treats. He started howling and barking at her. Then at me, like help me. She ignored him while we talked until he calmed down. As soon as he did, she said a big "yes" and gave him a treat. He was hooked from then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts