Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the website and enjoying all of the Beagle conversation here. We have a 4 month old Beagle boy named Squeegee. He has learned the Go potty command outside but still goes inside sometimes. He ususally only does it to get attention when we're watching tv or something and will come do it about 2 feet from us and watch us while he does it. The last week or so, though, he has started going on the bed a lot and last night went 3 times on the floor from the time it took him to walk from the kitchen to our bedroom! Don't know if he's starting to mark things? Also, he's never been a big eater and since he started teething wasn't eating at all. We were heating up his food with a little water and he loved it for about 5 days. He stopped eating that so we went back to dry food now that his permanent incisors are erupting a little but can't seem to get him to eat more than 1/2-1 cup per day! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I agree with silleb, crate training is a great way to get them to start holding it and strengthening their bladder muscles. Bodie only gets 1-2 hours in the evening where he has free run of the house. But we also watch him like a hawk during this time. We take him out and make him go potty first. So we know he has an empty bladder when he first comes in.

We recently put up a bell by our front door which he'll ring when we wants to go outside. You can read what we did here...
http://www.ourbeagleworld.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=78459#Post78459

At 16 weeks, Bodie hasn't had an accident in the house in the last 2-3 weeks. Not to say it won't happen again, but we're doing everything we can to minimize it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We crate him while we're gone for about 4-6 hours during the day and he does fine in there, no accidents. He has separation anxiety, though, with excessive salivation and he chews on the bars and has been breaking his teeth. I'm hesitant to crate him in the evening in addition to the time he spends in there during the day. We do take him out right after naps, meals, and letting him out of the crate and he still has accidents sometimes as soon as he comes back in. We are looking for a bell to put by the door for him but haven't been able to find one yet.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Don't feel like crating him is being mean or neglectful. Believe it or not, they like the crate provided their needs are being met (i.e. potty breaks, food, water, etc.). Puts lots of chew toys and stuffed animals in there with him. Many experts say a puppy should be crated 16-20 hours a day. For us that sounded like a lot too.

So we use three forms of confinement. During the day he has a spacious dog run outside with food, water and shelter from the elements. In the evening we have a portable pen setup in our great room so he can be in the same room with us but be confined (this is after his 1-2 hours of family time). And at night he goes into a crate in our bedroom. Although the last couple of nights we've tried letting him free in the bedroom. Which hasn't been working so he goes right back in the crate. For us being free in the bedroom is part of our overall potty training plan.

All puppies want attention from their owners. I don't think it's any sort of separation anxiety. If you ignore the whining, yelping, clawing at the crate and chewing on it he will quit. If you tell him to stop it or give him any sort of attention during these times he'll learn he can get a response from you by doing these actions. Bodie did the same thing when he first came home at 8 weeks. We ignored him and within 2 days it more or less stopped. He's now a fairly good citizen when he's in his pen. Well unless the cat walks by it, then he barks at her. Even then we ignore him. And when he goes into his crate at night, not a peep.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, I keep hearing they're supposed to like their crates but he has been staying in the crate every day now for over a month. We are not home during the day while he's in his crate but he can hear him barking as we leave and have seen the evidence of salivation and broken teeth when we get home. We usually leave about 3 toys in there: a big rawhide, a tennis ball that he love to chew and a kong with peanut butter and a few small treats inside. He still seems to hate the crate, though, when we come home he comes out and pulls all of his stuff out and puts it somewhere else ... I guess he doesn't want it in the crate? I don't know. I would love it if it wasn't separation anxiety and if he would start liking his crate but unfortunately he hasn't gotten there yet...

·
Registered
959 Posts
About his eating, we were told that beagles will never starve themselves if food is available. So offer him food, and if after 10 minutes he doesn't take it, take it away, and try again later.
He won't starve as long as you continue to offer him the food....his mouth is probably sore from the new teeth, and maybe needs something a little softer to eat for awhile....we used the same techniques as when our kids were teething, a wet wash cloth in the freezer and then let them chew on it...kinda numbs everything up.

Good luck, it's so hard to see them in pain, and not be able to make it all better.

Cathy J

1 - 7 of 7 Posts