Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been searching for a companion for Duke for the past month or so. We want a female, and they aren't easy to find in rescue around here. There were a few on Craigslist, but one I was too late and the other didn't get along with other dogs.

Norcal and Beagles and Buddies have plenty, but we're in the Central Valley and they're up north and down south, so we would rather find one closer, but know we have that option if we don't have any luck here.

Well, I found one on Petfinder in Coursegold, which is only 30-40 min away. She's young, just over a year they think. She was found roaming by an animal shelter in a nearby town and when her time came up, they called this small rescue and told them she was going to be put down. The rescue (which is small and has a few beags, but isn't just beagles) got her and put her up for adoption.

I talked to the woman for a while and she said she's just the sweetest thing and that she has a lot of energy (which we want, to match Duke's)and she likes being outside, but sleeps inside. The woman said she's really good, but has a silly side, which sounds very much like Duke. She likes other dogs and playing with them, so the woman thinks she'd like having another beagle around. She also said that Lucky has a beautiful bay that is very low and throaty. She sounds perfect!

She has other people interested, but some are up north and she'd rather adopt closer to home. I sent over references, vet info, etc. and she wrote back and said she was having her fixed on the 22nd. By then, she'll have time to check references and let us know, so our chances look good. Hopefully we'll get to be Lucky's forever home. Here's a picture of Lucky (though if that is a temporary rescue name, we may change it):

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Good luck, I hope you get her! I can't believe there is a beagle shortage in your area - wow. The local rescues here always have girlie beagles.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Good luck getting Lucky... I hope she will be lucky enough to get you as her forever home, we all know you are great Beagle parents and Duke will be thrilled, that's for sure!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Good luck getting Lucky. She looks like a sweetheart! But then if you love beagles, they're ALL sweethearts, aren't they? Big hugs and lots of puppy kisses!

·
Registered
182 Posts
What a cutie! That white spot on her back almost looks like a heart. I hope you get to adopt her.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheryl, apparently Norcal Rescue is adopting out left and right, they have so many but they go fast. Same with Beagles and Buddies. But here, what happens is those two large beagle rescues search our local shelters for beags and adopt them in the LA or SF areas. I have checked the local shelters daily and not a single female. That's a good thing (though not for us) because it means the beagles are getting the best possible chances for a good home.

Beaglechaser, the spot does look like a heart, we think it's adorable!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Good luck with Lucky! I hope that they find you to be the perfect family for her. She's adorable. I love the little heart shaped spot on her back. Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts