Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Marlow (8mth old beagle) will settle (on a very good, heavily exercised day) for about 10 minutes in the lounge, but out of the blue he will start barking at us. It seems playful, as he'll play-bow while doing it and dart around like an excited jack-in-the-box if we get up to tell him off.

We have tried the authoritive "no" telling off, this never worked and seems to wind him up more. We've tried ignoring him, he starts nipping at knees and clothes and jumping up. Our response at the moment is that he gets removed to a different room (where he will immediately settle, not seeming bothered at all). He'll get let back in after 10 minutes if he doesn't make a fuss - he rarely does make a fuss.

We want to get to a point where he can just settle with us in the lounge, amusing himself with toys or curled up in the doggy bed that's there. He settles brilliantly when we are not around, just not when we are in the same room...which makes me think we are creating the problem, but I need an outsider's view to tell me what!

Think that's all the info I have to give, any help much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum. He is still puppy and just when you think its getting better they decide to become an adolescent and forget everything...lol

Cassie will be 2yr tomorrow and its getting better but its a constant work in progress. I feel the same about just having a dog free in the house to participate in the family calmly. I do now allow freedom in 1/2 of the house under supervision but she's always cruising for some mischief.

Beagle owners I've met tell me 3yrs there is improvement...I guess hang in there.

All that said I know of a Boston Terrier that is a perfect little guy who house trained quickly, walks off leash, doesn't destroy stuff, goes to the neighbor house and is good....

·
Registered
357 Posts
My 2 Beagles destroy toys so thats a no go, but if you keep plastic juice or milk bottles with something like marmite or cream cheese or a couple of treats in there (i buy cheap ham and stuff it in) It will keep him amused chewing and getting the yummy treats out. And a whole lot cheaper than expensive toys. My Buddy can literally destroy a kong in half an hour so thats a no-go. And they are supposed to be pretty much indestructable.
Or another thing I did when they were pups, if they are on dry food hide one of their meals scattered around and hidden. Make him work and that will wear him out.
Not quite the weather for it yet but pour chicken stock into a paper cup and freeze it. His very own ice lolly, always a winner.
Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe I can help most, Dodger just turned 1 on the 7th so 8 months was yesterday. Can I ask is Marlow’s crate trained? If not you might consider it, it’s a great house training tool and puppies and dogs love dens, and remember you are the pack leader, especially now that he is young. Also know that no 2 beagles are the same they all have different personalities, but one thing they live by is their noses, so for me I play with Dodger on the floor and or ground level and now his head is moving up to my level.....and you will choose how you want to socialize your pup, Dodger loves people and he’s not a barker at all he’s a one person dog, but that’s my beagle an adventurer and we go backpacking, but that’s us. Just a few tips.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
A tired beagle is a good beagle. They do settle a bit more when they are 'grown' - think 3 years old - but a healthy beagle does retain some of that puppy energy even when they are older (Sophie is 11). You may want to have him sit when he gets overexcited - and then work on having him go into a down position. Sophie - for some reason - hates Prius/electric vehicles - my autistic son claims that there is a high pitched sound that they make. When she hears one passing by and begins to get upset, I have her lie down - it breaks the 'moment' and helps her calm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Like children they mature at different rates. Don't compare with other dogs, just look for progress in your own dog. I have 2 beagles 1 year apart.. My one beagle was very mature and obiedient at 9 months, she's the older one and happens to be the alpha. The younger one is now 1 and half and is still a baby, she is progressing though and that's what counts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my beagle at 8 weeks old and he was a ball of energy from the moment he woke up, at times i felt defeated lol. I got a trainer and started with him but what really helped was finding a doggie camp where he was socialized and played with other dogs. I continued taking him to training classes and now he is the best behaved dog. I never thought i'd get here but i kept at it and was lucky enough to find that camp they are hard to come by being i'm so careful as to who he is with when i'm not there. I guess the best thing is exercise and socializing. they are a smart breed. they will get it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts