Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday night … We had cleared the dinner table and were in the kitchen putting away leftovers and loading the dishwasher, when we heard a crash from the dining room. Our dear Sparky was on the table again and had just knocked off a glass containing what was left of a Back Russian. (vodka and Kahlua)
I kept him out of the way while Karen wiped up the mess, then we all went out in the back yard to enjoy the Florida weather. About twenty minutes later, Sparky tried to jump up on the picnic table where we were sitting and he didn’t quite make it. We didn’t think anything of it because he has always been on the clumsy side. But then he kept trying and kept landing flat on his back. It took a minute for us to realize that Sparky was… hammered!
He must have taken a couple good swallows before he ended up bumping the glass over the edge of the table.
I would never get a dog drunk on purpose. So please, don’t scold me.
Having said that, if we weren’t so worried about him it would have been funny.
We watched him very carefully for erratic breathing etc. and were ready to call the emergency clinic. But he was just being much clumsier than usual and that was about it. I gave him a couple big handfuls of kibble thinking it would absorb the alcohol or make him throw up. (he never did) and some ice to chew on. Then we walked (Sparky stumbled.) around the yard (“Walk it off, Boy.”) for about an hour before going inside, where I held him in my lap for another hour.
He got up a few times. Once to make a mad dash (drunken stumble) for the back door because he had to pee. Even in the state he was in, he knew he had to go outside to pee. (”Good boy!”)
Then he made several, “I’m-drunk-I-can-do-anything” (Ever been there?) attempts at fitting through the impossibly small flapper door that separates the dogs from the cat food and litter box.
We took one last trip outside, where he figured out he could balance on three legs to pee if he got close enough to the tree where he could fall against it and it would hold him up while he went.
Then we got out the usual bed time treat and he did his usual jumping bean act. Except, instead of landing on his feet, each bounce put him flat on his back. Too limp to possibly hurt himself.
He slept in his crate while I was awake most of the night, making sure he was ok. He didn’t move a muscle for about six hours, except to open one eye when I said his name.
He woke up very thirsty.
After breakfast we all went for a long walk in the woods at the “bark park”, and life is back to “normal”.

Hopefully, we’ll spend a nice, uneventful, Sunday evening on the couch watching a movie with Sadie and Sparky in our laps.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If we had gremlins, this story would deserve several "laughing hystericals"!! I absolutely could see Sparky falling down, stumbling, etc. Thank goodness he didn't hurt himself and that all is well today. Haven't read "story#1" yet but thanks for the hearty laugh with this one!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif What a picture you've painted! Wonder if Sparky enjoyed his "buzz"? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh my goodness! I was laughing hysterically. I'm glad to hear that Sparky is OK and didn't hurt himself. What a couple of days you had. Life's never boring with a Beagle or two around.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Just curious - did he have a hangover???? I have to admit you had me laughing out loud picturing poor Sparky! I agree with Kim, exactly what IS "normal" living with beagles?

Thanks for the laugh.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess the hangover passed during the night. He was thirsty when he woke up but raring to go otherwise.

"Normal" life?...

As Jimmy Buffett sings...
Quote: Sittin' round waitin' for the next explosion
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Registered
230 Posts
LOL -- I think the liquor is one thing our girls have not gotten into, thank goodness. I'm glad to hear that Sparky is OK; Lucy injured herself at some point in the past, and has recurring back problems now.

You might have to adopt our rule: Nothing remotely edible in the dining room without an adult present.

BTW - They pull the tablecloth off the table even for kid-spills!

Beagles are an adventure!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Now you know why my response to story# 1 was what it was.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

It's funny, though, I actually was telling myself "wouldn't it be funny if Sparky had a few "licks" just before he knocked down the glass"? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Poor you, you really had an eventful weekend... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I have the emergency poison control number bookmarked on my computer and written prominently beside the phone....!!! Despite constant vigilence, I have used it THREE times in three years for Maggie's adventures....and tho alcohol hasn't been one of her experiences, I'd NEVER put it past her!

I'm glad Sparky is doing well following his binge. LOL

·
Registered
509 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hysterical.gif wow you really can tell a story! Im sorry but that was really funny, but poor Sparky, Im glad he's ok!

xK

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
oh Sparky /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nono5.gif Scaring your mommy and daddy like that .... I had to laugh (please forgive me) Sammy had a liking for beer and I have to watch her when I have a bottle of beer handy !!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Georgia slurped up some of my wine one time....but I don't think she felt any effects...
Glad Sparky is himself now!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Cecil likes to "kiss" her daddy when he drinks beer and take a little slurp. She does it with me and my wine also. Never more than a slurp. What a silly girl! Your adventure just made me laugh. Glad no ill effects. I spoke with one of my husband's friends one time and he told me he used to pour beer in a bowl for his beagle and laughed and laughed at how the beagle got blitzed. Not good, but I guess alls well that ends well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts