Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadie and Sparky were both in need of nail trims. I could probably do Spark myself, but Sadie is impossible. I’d rather have her hating the vet techs for doing it to her than me, so I made an appointment for both of them on Friday morning. (My day off.) Their Mama works Fridays, so I was on my own.
Never again! From now on they go separately, or someone will be with to handle one of them.
Getting them into the cab of my truck wasn’t a big deal. They probably thought we were going to the “bark park“.
It all started about half way there… Thankfully, I went the all-back-roads way between the house and the clinic. Because Sadie tried to jump over the divider that I’d made to keep them in the back seat, and she broke it. I drove the rest of the way there with two beagles trying to claim a space in my lap between the steering wheel and my substantial beer gut.
Once in the parking lot, it took me several minutes to get out of the truck and close the door without anyone jumping out or getting their nose slammed in it. I went inside to check in. Since the waiting room was crowded, I told the girl, we would be waiting outside. After several more minutes of trying to get leashes hooked up without loosing anybody, we (I) headed for the little park bench, under the trees on the side of the building. Sparky wanted to go right in and say hi to everyone, but Sadie was heading the other way because she did NOT want to be there. She almost slipped her collar, (Something she can do with ease if you don’t notice her positioning herself to do it.) and I had visions of her being run over on the busy street right in front of the clinic. I somehow managed to get her under control while Sparky was wrapping his leash around my legs.
Things settled down for about twenty minutes while we waited. When the girl came out to get us, Sparky was scratching at the dirt, trying to get in the open door. While Sadie was hiding behind me where I was seated on the bench. When I stood up I could see her jumping down, out of the corner of my eye… Then she started howling! I turned around to see that one of her back legs had fallen between the slats on the seat and that she was stuck, hanging in mid air in front of the bench! In a panic I quickly, but carefully lifted her leg out and set her on the ground. Another vision… My little girl breaking her leg right in front of the clinic, but she only limped for a few step and has been fine ever since.
Meanwhile, (this all happened very quickly.) In all the commotion, I must have just let go of Sparky’s leash. When I turned around… I guess the tech must have snatched it up as Spark ran (thankfully) inside. By the time Sadie and I made it through the waiting room and into the open door of the examining room, Sparky was zooming around the little room… Off his leash!… With both the waiting room and the lab doors wide open! (What? Are they nuts?!)
I quickly closed both doors while he was trying to jump up on the counter where the treat jar was sitting. Then, right away, the receptionist opened the door again, and handed me a clipboard and a pen. She said, “We’re updating our files, blah, blah, blah.“ (OK, Fine. I’ll get right on it.)
The tech got Spark over to the scale… 24lbs. Another girl came in, and they went to work on his nails while Sadie hid behind me again.
When he was done they just let him loose and he went back to zooming while we tried to coax Sadie up onto the scale… 30lbs.
I warned them that Sadie would not be as cooperative as Sparky as they were pinning her down to do her nails. All the while Sparky, was jumping around and trying to “help” until I grabbed him and hooked him up to a short leash.
I usually stand in front of Sadie so she can see me, and I talk to her so she doesn’t hear the clippers, but I was too busy trying to control Sparky. Several groans later, and a few yelps from imaginary pain, and she was done too.
We exited the examining room with Sadie running for the door, Sparky headed for a cocker spaniel on the other side of the room, and me with both leashes around my ankles.
The receptionist started to say something to me , but I put the clipboard on the counter saying “I’m going to put them in the truck. I’ll be right back in to finish this.” She just smiled.
Another struggle to get everyone back in the truck… Ten more minutes inside to finish the paperwork and pay the bill, and we were on our way home. Sadie sound asleep in the back seat, and Sparky sitting on the passenger seat, facing me and staring at me for some reason.
Funny… None of my three-ring-circus act seemed to phase anyone at the vet’s office in the least.
I left my truck windows down for the rest of the day to air out the dog gas.

…NEVER again!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Li'l Girl lets me trim her nails. Misty and the 2 rambunctious boys go to the groomer for theirs. Dusty has the pleasure of taking them. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I gather it's lots of fun. It didn't take the girls long to realize that they'd better watch their fingers when giving Traveler treats. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif If you're ever in our area and see what looks like a big red dog driving a Dodge Ram Mega Cab, that would be Dusty taking Traveler for a nail clipping. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif Separate trips are made for the boys. I can't imagine why!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Nail clipping time is the only time I am glad to have just one beagle. Its almost time to do Maggie again and I am dreading it. I sympathize with you!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I agree with Judy! You needed a Black Russian after all this!

I can just picture it...

I once had both dogs in together at the vet with an infant along. I'm glad I hadn't read this first, or I would have never attempted it. My visit was tame compared to this, but I learned never to have more dogs + small kids at the vet than I have hands!

I'm glad you all survived.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I just now found the time to read this post, story #2 is next. After reading this one, I say to myself: "brace yourself, Eleanor, it's going to be a bumpy ride....".

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!! In addition to my Maggie knotting the leash around my ankles to hide behind me, she also barfs on the waiting room floor, while Calvin uses his ENTIRE 50 pounds to drag his way into each examining room, as he is SURE everyone is there to enjoy his company. Sounds like we have the same experience at the vet's......!! You earned your stripes today!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I can see it all happening as I read the story /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

that is exactly why I only take one dog to the vet at a time ...hehehe I was waiting to hear that the vet tech had to pick you up after they tripped you .....

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
I've had one of those kind of visits to the vets too, and now mine go one at at time too! Glad you survived and lived to tell us about it! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Registered
540 Posts
I guess I am lucky. First, the girls like to go to the vets as they go there for doggie day care and have fun. They get their baths there and then tech or vet visits for one reason or another. Brandy sits next to me hooked to the seat belt, while Cecil rides with her front paws on my console. I have a really small car - TransAm Firebird and Cecil has no where to fall in the back seat, if you can call it that. She has eaten thru 8-10 attachments to the seat belt, so now she is "free". When we get to the vets, I hook on their leashes, unhook Brandy, open the car door...dogs jump out and I hold on. Then we race to the front door. When we go in they run to the front desk to say "hi" and one of the girls comes out of grooming to say "hi" also..They head for the door to the kennels where they go to play. If they have to see the vet, I guide them into one of the patient rooms and shut the door. They then run around and play. When Dr. Randall comes in, she gets down at their eye level for kisses. Cecil kisses always and Brandy sometimes. Then whomever she is to see we put on the table. The other one just stands by me or puts her paws up on the table to "comfort" her sister. What a pair. I feel lucky as we have no real problems related to going to the vet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts