Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bring treats to the dogpark????
We went to a new dog park today that was really nice! The beags had a great time and so did I! The people all seemed nice and responsible.
However, these two people brought treats and were giving them to their dog in the middle of all of the other dogs! They shared the treats and were very nice, not seeming to mind all of the dogs jumping on them, but I found it a bit annoying b/c naturally the dogs are going to stay around them when they know there is food and I had to keep going over and pulling the dogs off these people, the jumping was just unacceptable to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
That really isn't right because if they were handing out treats to dogs that didn't belong them - some dogs have dietary issues, allergies etc. I don't feed anyone's dog without asking.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I always have treats on me because you never know when a good training opportunity will come up.

I rarely use the dog park but I don't think I've ever been in with Daisy without treats, we practice recalls and focus work - its a great place to do it.

I would never give a treat to another dog, at least not without asking, but really its not my problem if other owners can't control their dogs around food.

My dogs are both really food driven but they would never harass people for food by jumping on them and creating a nuisance etc.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Some folks just don't think about those things. Maybe they are new dog owners. Or maybe they just don't care.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: the other JoeSome folks just don't think about those things. Maybe they are new dog owners. Or maybe they just don't care.
As someone who most often carries food treats on me when I go out with the dogs, I can definitely tell you I don't care if other people are offended or bothered by it

My dogs are well trained and well behaved, which is certainly not the case for many of the dogs I see at my local dog park

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Or maybe they have well behaved Beag's. Not trying to insinuate anything, just a general, poorly worded response on my part. Humble apologies.

Hey I'm old and it past my bedtime last night.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I understood what you meant and didn't take offense. I always have treats with me anytime they are on an outing, you just have to be careful not to draw a hound crowd! I have had people give hot dogs and things like that to my dogs and they don't eat people food except veggies/rice/fruit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally Posted By: Pop_RivitI'll never understand people sometimes. I honestly think that common sense is in short supply.
Its actually called Rare sense. If it were common sense everyone would have it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie
I think a lot of people lack dog park etiquette. There should be rules posted on the gates entering dog parks, just like swimming pools.
My local dog park has a huge sign of rules. Which is nice but most people either don't read them or they do and they just don't care. One of the rules is that you cannot bring food into the dog park and that includes treats. And I have to say that is the one rule that people are always breaking.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This happens to me all the time. Sebastian will be having a blast running around the park and making doggy friends, but the second someone breaks out the treats, forget it. I spend the rest of the time dragging him off of the person with treats and usually end up leaving, since he has such a one track mind. I have seen people in one of the dog parks I frequent set out a whole picnic lunch...no joke! Then they get irritated when my dog won't leave them alone. He knows the leave it command, but sometimes the temptation of treats is too strong, and I haven't figured out how to overcome it!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know!
My dogs are great at the park, with people and other dogs! But I am sorry, dogs, especially beagles, will do anything for food!
It is a shame that those who dont have the food and follow the rules, should have to leave, not fair!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh yea, I hate it when people bring treats to the dog park!
And actually FEED the other dogs.
Dog parks have rules, and one of the rules says do NOT feed other dogs!
Some people are just ignorant...

I never allowed Bloom to accept treats from other people.
I mean you wouldn't allow your children to take candy from strangers, right?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I wasn't there, but my wife had Tucker at a dog park when a couple pulled out some chicken for lunch. They had their backs turned so Glenda didn't realize what was going on until after Tucker has taken the chicken right out of their hands.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What I hate is when someone brings treats to the dog park then gets upset when you don't go over and pull your dog off of them. I pulled Lexi off someone doing that almost 7 times thinking they would put the treats away and then got upset because I just let her go at it I was like well I was just going to let her jump since you brought treats even though the rules clearly state NO FOOD!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I didn't realise it was the rules in some parks in the US that you can't bring treats in. No such rule exists where I live. If it's a rule I can understand why people get annoyed.

But realistically, regardless of whether someone is breaking the rules, I'd still maintain that it's my responsibility as an owner to make sure my dog has enough basic manners not to jump up or hassle people when they have food. That situation could arise anywhere, not just in the dog park.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts