Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i did get snoopy tested for fleas at the vet because i noticed she was scratching herself lots... and she was fine!
but still... she scratches herself soooo much... seems to be more than normal! anything else that can cause this???
her eyes are also running a little. could this be allergies?
thank you!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I asked the same question under the health and welfare thread. It was pointed out that it could be so many different things the best thing to do is ask the vet.

My (rescued) dog had been living outdoors 24/7 and I was sure he had fleas. Nothing - as I've said in other posts - all he had was ear wax. It still cracks me up!

Anyway, I'm taking him in to be nuetered on Tuesday and I'm going to ask the vet about it however, I'd be interested in reading anyone elses thoughts too.

Thanks,

B

P.S. I'm changing Lou's name to Jack...

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Ours scratch like mad due to grass mites. You cant see them but they are there. Susi is refusing to walk on the grass right now, a sure sign she knows they are there. A special spray gets rid of them, ask the vet.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Arty gets REALLY itchy when his gland gets compacted .. he'll even go to wall and scratch himself by rubbing on the wall, but like all over his body, not just his butt, as you would expect. He has also overly scratched his ear once bc turns out he had an ear infection (the vet said you can tell by the fact that he shakes his head a lot).

·
Registered
303 Posts
Banjo scratches quite a bit too. He also has no fleas.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If it just started suddenly and her eyes are running too, I'd say allergies. Jersey gets them this time of year. I talked to my vet and he checked her out and she was OK otherwise. He suggested some Benedryl when it was happening. Worked great. Give your vet a call and see what he says.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hm ok so it could be allergies...
on top of this i've noticed that she has spots forming on the top of her back near her head....
i don't know if its new markings coming through or what but it looks like her hair is thinning in certain little spots
not sure if this is related at all or not :S

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That could be the equivalent to human pimples.... as weird as it sounds, but don't worry if that's what it is, it goes away pretty quickly and almost never leaves a mark. Chloe had those when she was younger, right on the back of her skull, and nothing was left.
About the allergies, Snoopy might be a little young to be suffering from it, but I would check with a vet.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i made an appointment with the vet and spoke with my puppy trainer.....
he thinks that snoopy has food allergies.

so i switched her to a new natural balance food that is hypo allergenic.. hopefully will notice an itching difference soooon!!!! also he looked at the patches of missing fur and thinks she might have Mites??!

taking her to the vet on thur to get her booster vaccines ...
hopefully that is something easily cured if she does have it!!!!!
poor thing

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The labs had food allergies when they were younger. They couldn't eat anything with corn in it or they would itch like mad. And their coat is so sensitive that any scratching would lead to hot spots and missing fur and all kinds of issues for the poor things. So we switched to an all lamb and/or chicken and rice food and that did the trick!

As they got older, they developed a resisitance to the allergy and could have food with corn, but I still try to stay away from corn because it's just filler anyhow.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hm ok well if the labs had missing fur maybe its all related and just a food allergy.
hopefully
thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts