Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have nenver know a dog to yawn soo much ! every time Meg is still, unless she is actually sleeping, she yawns constantly. If we fuss with her and stroke her face and itch behind her ears she just does yawn after yawn after yawn. if she is sitting there having a good old sctatch, she is still yawning while doing that ? seems a bit weird. she cant be tired all the time ? i know she does about 8 miles walking a day, but so do I and im not yawning all the time like her.

any thoughts ?

thanks

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
We're not "ignoring" you - I suspect that most people are like I am - I just don't have an answer for you. Mine DO yawn, but don't think they yawn any more than any other dogs. Maybe she's just sleepy???

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh ok, funny though as she's always doing it. i think she is sleepy as she didnt get out of my bed till quarter past ten this morning and that was only coz i dragged her out for some mileage !! lazy bones

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Call it contentment. Beags tend to like their beauty rest. Also, 8 miles for you may be 20 miles in terms of energy expended for a Beagle. However, she looks and sounds normal.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke yawns, but usually just when he's waking up. Does she sleep a lot? Maybe she is tired out.

Do any of your beags make a noise with their yawn, like a squeak? Duke does and it's the cutest thing.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
You could double check to be sure there isn't anything stuck in the gum line or back of the throat.

Mine yawn occasionaly and make a cute little sound with it.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Hi Meg's mom, excessive yawning is not normal...one or two yes but not constantly as you described.
It could be a vasovagal problem(heart rate or blood pressure).
Is Meg on any medication at the present?
I would definitely check it out with your vet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
really ? never thought of that. she isnt on any medication, she seems fine and healthy apart from all her other issues ! i will mention it to my vet when we go next

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Originally Posted By: 7beagleladyIt could be a vasovagal problem(heart rate or blood pressure).
I would definitely check it out with your vet.
Hmmmmmm....that's interesting. Very good thought. Sounds like your problem might be worth a call to the vet for a little advice.

My other thought: In Stanley Coren's book "How to Speak Dog", all body language is explained. Yawns are a simple sign of stress or anxiety; they may also be used to diffuse a threat. In human language, it means "I'm a bit tense right now"

It sounds like Meg is doing it too much for THAT explanation; however, my own dogs both yawn a lot after a wild game of wrestling, or if they're waiting on dinner and I'm taking too long, or I'm a bit late getting them outside when they ask to go, etc etc. My Maggie is a hound who doesn't like to be overly loved on (unless it's her idea); I notice she yawns a lot when it's MY idea to grab her and kiss/pet on her....she yawns the entire time until I'm done, then jumps down and shakes all over as if to say "sheesh, that's ENOUGH mom!!" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
605 Posts
Henry seems to yawn when he's bored. It's like a displacement behavior, like a human whistling or twiddling their thumbs. Maybe physically she's tired from her exercise but is trying to stay awake so she doesn't miss what you're doing. Still, the vet's not a bad idea. I have a cockatiel, and though it's not a good comparison, when parrots yawn excessively (they hardly ever do it) they usually have a problem with their crop or esophagus. Sometimes parrots yawn when something's stuck in their throats...

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
That's what I had always been told. As far as doing it excessively, definitely sounds like a call to the vet is warranted,

Originally Posted By: debannib
My other thought: In Stanley Coren's book "How to Speak Dog", all body language is explained. Yawns are a simple sign of stress or anxiety; they may also be used to diffuse a threat. In human language, it means "I'm a bit tense right now"

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh dear, im a bit worried now. but honestly meg seems 100% fine, it's almost like a habit, like when my daughter was small she got into this habit of blinking all the time for no reason and the more we told her to stop it, the more she couldnt help doing it. meg is so loving and cuddly and doesn't seem to be anxious in anyway, she is only left alone for a few hours a fortnight, she gets loads of excercise and loads of sleeps, she has loads of human play, lots of doggie play. in fact apart from beag no 2 she has everything. think i will definatly mention it to the vet.
cheers guys.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
A yawning type sound is what some dogs do when they try to
"vocalize or mimick" you when you are talking to someone on the
phone! Joe & JT might remember the last time I spoke to them on
the phone with Homer-the-Huge "vocalizing" in the background!
But if a dog has a problem breathing...(aside from reverse-
sneezing)..."Breathing problems" will most likely suggest heart
problems like my vet has warned me about but Goober is still a
heatlhy ol fart! (Grin)

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I was going to ask if she got a lot of exercise. My other thought was that she might be restless. Can you take her for a nice long walk everyday? I'd be interested to see if that reduces the yawning.

Originally Posted By: meg's mum she gets loads of excercise and loads of sleeps, she has loads of human play, lots of doggie play..
cheers guys.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi

yes she gets loads of excerise. mon - fri, she does the school run in the morning and afternoon with other dogs and loads a kids, thats 4 miles in total. then on the evening , she gets about 45 mins out walking or freeplay in the field with another doggie freind. so about 4 to 8 miles a day
weekend, 2 long ones each day, sometimes i am out for 2.5 hours on just one walk with a really long extendable lead.
in addition to this, we can sometimes take the bikes and she runs along side. we usually do about 3-5 miles per time. also we visit family and freinds houses where she just tears round the place sniffing all the time for the whole time we are there. she also gets trips in the car, which also seems to tire her out ! so in answer to your question, i hope we give her enough excersise !! we certainly get enough !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm no expert but Daisy does fake yawns. She opens her mouth and closes it, far to fast for a yawn, sometimes she doesn't even open her mouth past halfway. She only does it when we're close and I'm touching her, just talking, even just looking at each other. She does it once in a while with my wife, never with her sister. When she does it, I just tell her I love you too, I believe thats what she means.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts