Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marley likes to lay at my feet and chew on a bone/toy, etc. He likes to put the toy up on my foot or leg. Is that ok to do? I push him off most of the time, or move my feet but sometimes I fall asleep and wake up with him laying on my feet. Why?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Marley's Mommy:
Marley likes to lay at my feet and chew on a bone/toy, etc. He likes to put the toy up on my foot or leg. Is that ok to do? I push him off most of the time, or move my feet but sometimes I fall asleep and wake up with him laying on my feet. Why?
Shiloh does this ,too. When I sit in my recliner he feels he must lay between my fet with his head resting on my right foot. Reason--good question ! Wish I had a good answer ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Just a guess---showes loves and feels secure being near you . JMO /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
A trainer told me it is a sign of dominance. There is a difference between the dog laying it's head on our lap (OK) than placing a paw on our lap (bad). There is also a difference when we "invite" the dog to sit on us.

Actually now that I think about it, Cesar mentioned something like that on one of the latest shows I watched...

I love Chloe sitting on me and falling asleep curled up - but I try to initiate it and take her leg off of me when she decides she want to play, then I ask her to do something before I play with her. It seems to work, and she is not the least a dominant dog.

·
Registered
509 Posts
OMG I so know what you mean marleys momy!

Anytime I am at Glovers level he likes to be litterally on top of me playing, chewing, grooming..

and if I am sitting in a chair he has to be at my feet, playing, chewing, grooming...

the worst thing is that he gets a bit excited and my toes often get in the way...

I have heard that it can be a dominance thing so I do push him off when he gets too full on but I sort of like the closeness... so I don't know what to do.

anyway

x
K

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by jen-n-jersey:
I don't think it's a dominance thing. Amber was one of the most submissive dogs I've ever seen. She would go belly up and pee on us all the time. :smack: And she loved to lay on feet.
Think I would agree with you on this one. I can't see how such just laying on my feet can be a sign of dominance. JMO

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
This is timely! My new roommate's dog tried to put his paw on me as I sat next to him on the couch last night. After reading this thread, I knew he was trying to show he was dominant, so I kept shoving his paw off and putting my hand on his leg. And this morning, for the first time since Saturday, he sat for me before I gave him a treat (I don't want to leave him out while Spock gets his treats, though Spock works for his). I guess it's a victory, in a way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts