Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marley likes to lay at my feet and chew on a bone/toy, etc. He likes to put the toy up on my foot or leg. Is that ok to do? I push him off most of the time, or move my feet but sometimes I fall asleep and wake up with him laying on my feet. Why?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Marley's Mommy:
Marley likes to lay at my feet and chew on a bone/toy, etc. He likes to put the toy up on my foot or leg. Is that ok to do? I push him off most of the time, or move my feet but sometimes I fall asleep and wake up with him laying on my feet. Why?
Shiloh does this ,too. When I sit in my recliner he feels he must lay between my fet with his head resting on my right foot. Reason--good question ! Wish I had a good answer ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Just a guess---showes loves and feels secure being near you . JMO /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey likes to sleep with her head on my feet. I don't know why, but when it's cold at night I like having a personal foot warmer. :biglaugh: Amber used to like to lay on feet too.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I think that I read somewhere once that a dog sitting on your feet is an attempt at dominance. Not sure if that is true or not, and even if it is whether lying on your feet means the same thing!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't think it's a dominance thing. Amber was one of the most submissive dogs I've ever seen. She would go belly up and pee on us all the time. :smack: And she loved to lay on feet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
A trainer told me it is a sign of dominance. There is a difference between the dog laying it's head on our lap (OK) than placing a paw on our lap (bad). There is also a difference when we "invite" the dog to sit on us.

Actually now that I think about it, Cesar mentioned something like that on one of the latest shows I watched...

I love Chloe sitting on me and falling asleep curled up - but I try to initiate it and take her leg off of me when she decides she want to play, then I ask her to do something before I play with her. It seems to work, and she is not the least a dominant dog.

·
Registered
509 Posts
OMG I so know what you mean marleys momy!

Anytime I am at Glovers level he likes to be litterally on top of me playing, chewing, grooming..

and if I am sitting in a chair he has to be at my feet, playing, chewing, grooming...

the worst thing is that he gets a bit excited and my toes often get in the way...

I have heard that it can be a dominance thing so I do push him off when he gets too full on but I sort of like the closeness... so I don't know what to do.

anyway

x
K

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by jen-n-jersey:
I don't think it's a dominance thing. Amber was one of the most submissive dogs I've ever seen. She would go belly up and pee on us all the time. :smack: And she loved to lay on feet.
Think I would agree with you on this one. I can't see how such just laying on my feet can be a sign of dominance. JMO

·
Registered
187 Posts
I really can't help you with this one. I usually just end up with a beagle snuggled up on my lap, lol.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
This is timely! My new roommate's dog tried to put his paw on me as I sat next to him on the couch last night. After reading this thread, I knew he was trying to show he was dominant, so I kept shoving his paw off and putting my hand on his leg. And this morning, for the first time since Saturday, he sat for me before I gave him a treat (I don't want to leave him out while Spock gets his treats, though Spock works for his). I guess it's a victory, in a way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts