Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently their is a new dog around this place and the owner is not nice enough to pick up after the dog when it poops.

It being Dark i can't see what Dixie can smell, and when i notice she is chopping on something i pick her up to find out what. That's when i learn she has been eating crap and still is, So naturally i put my finger in her mouth and dig it out and do my best to clean her mouth out.

Then i have to come in the house and wash my hand about 5 times before i get the nasty smell off. WHY!!!!!

The only way i have found that shows result in keeping dogs from eating crap is shocking them when they get close enough that their mouth is almost on the turd. Is there any other way to curb this nasty habit!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
for punishment i wont let her get on the couch, so she went into the crate( which she never does unless she is getting a toy) and laying there sulking. talk about getting at your heart huh.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Don't do that.... She doesn't know to connect between eating poop and her being punished and going in the crate.
Unfortunately the only way to prevent Dixie from eating poop is to quickly tug the leash (shock her for a second), curb her to you and firmly (but calmly!!) say: NO!!
She will learn eventually, but her being a beagle... well - you know! You won't always be able to prevent those things from happening.

Chloe ate poop a couple of times, but only when it has a very specific scent.... other times she sniffs it a little and moves on. I keep an eye on her during the entire walk.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for the record i didn't put her in the crate, she went in there by herself. plus after 5 mins after i posted that i let her on the couch

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Sorry to say but chances are this will be a life long habit of hers.

The best way to prevent her from eating poop is to not give her the opportunity (which is pretty much impossible).

If you'd like to try to correct the behavior you need to correct her immediately, when you catch her in the "act"....don't wait until you get home, they don' have the thought process to understand delayed punishment (and they never will).

We have a problem with Abby eating the cat's poop (AKA "Kitty Crunchies"). When I see her heading to wards the litter box I'll giver her a warning "Abby, noooo." in my "scary voice" (not yelling, just a bit lower than my normal cheery voice, and more stern). If she persists I'll get up go over to her, say "Abby NO!" and walk her away from the cat litter. That's usually enough to stop her.

·
Registered
51 Posts
For those animals who are eating their own poop or if it is a 2 pet household you can get a product called Forbid at a Vets office. It comes in a little packet and you put it on the pets food whose poop is getting ate. So if the dog is getting in the cat's litter box, you would put it in the cat's food. It supossedly makes it taste bad (don't know how it could be worse) and they won't want to eat it. Also, eating poop could mean that they are lacking some type of vitamin or bacteria that is needed in their digestive system. Most likely though, it's just a dog being a dog!

·
Registered
122 Posts
pita eats just her own poop in when she goes in the house, when she poops outside i tug the leash and take her away, but whaen she poops in the house and i dont see it imidietly she eats it, my vet says that it has something to do with lack of calcium.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Beasley loves those crunchy little chocolate bars out on the lawn...I do my best to stop her, but in the complex I live in, there are a lot of dogs, and only a very few owners who choose to clean up after their dogs.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Casey is also a poop eater. We have tried "forbid" which is a powder you sprinkle on the food that is supposed to make it taste bad. didn't work. we tried pineapple as well. didn't work. The only thing I found that works is making sure I pick up the poop immediately. I tell her "leave it" and pick it up before she gets to it.Of course it is not always possible to catch it right away, but I try.Good luck. My vet said she may grow out of it, but that hasn't happened yet.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've tried Adolfs meat tenderizer and that has worked. I just looked outside today and saw the two girls grazing again. They did stop for a while, but I'm starting to wonder since the weather is getting colder that they might like theres frozen. :toofunny:

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Eating poop is often a reaction when they are lacking something in their diet. Most wild dogs eat the stomach contents of their victims. If you feed your dogs dried guts, lights, from the petstore, it usually stops the vile habit of eating poop.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting, maybe i need to figure out what is missing in her diet.

See i live at what you call a RV park so i don't have a fenced in yard, and the area in front of the trailer is where i take her to potty at night. Normally we go potty and back in the house when it is dark. but last night i guess a stranger's dog was allowed to poop in front of my place and the owner didn't pick up after them.

imidiately i digged what she had in her mouth out with my finger and we went straight in the house.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Either they do or they don't. One of ours does and one dosen't.

I know the thinking is they because of a lack of something diet, however, I have seen a lot study sugesting that is more of a self preservation thing rather than a lack of nutrition.

Regardless of why, it pure out right disgusting.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sigh… I have the poop eating champ. :angry:
At 4:30 AM you’ll see me plastic bag and flash light in hand, running right behind him. It’s a real battle of wills. He’ll spin around and try to grab it before he’s even finished going, but I manage to snatch (most of) it up before he does. His latest trick is to hold some back and squat again, 50 ft. away.
.......But I’m on to that one too. :pukey:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Karebu, you made me laugh so loud!

Madison - I'd say get yourself a flashlight so you can see what she is picking up in the dark.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I caught boni eating her poop once or twice last year.. but that was when she had an "accident" in the house...sometimes i think she was trying to hide it from me :hi: But i scolded her and now she doesnt have accidents anymore and ive never seen her eat poo when its outside

1 - 20 of 25 Posts