Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everyone i talk to about my puppy asks what kind i got.. beagle... and they all say
ooo those dogs are crazy.. they run away and are so stubborn.. they never settle down.. why did you get a beagle?
i hate it - i wanna punch them in the face
why is there such a bad opinion out there about beagles???
and if they are so terrible why in the world are they like the most popular breed out there???
r these ppl just misinformed? or is there something to this?
i don't like doubt creeping into my mind about my choice of pup - i love my snoopy!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I used to be like you. Now I just say: well, if you think that, don't get a Beagle!. Of course I say that with an angry look

If so far you are content with your breed of choice, don't have any doubt! You are a good mom to Snoopy, and she is clearly one adorable puppy. You have all the help you need here with us, and we are going through stuff together.

Just as a side note: I've browsed the web for a friend with a Vizsla and a friend with JRT (also my cousin was looking for a Shih Tzu forum) and we all couldn't find anything that gets to be even close to BW. This community is another thing I'm happy I chose to have a Beagle!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
To be fair Beagles can be a very challenging breed so they don't get their difficult reputation for no reason.

In the UK they are not a popular breed of choice and come WAY down the list. Why they are much more popular in the US and Canada etc. I've no idea but it could partly be down to the fact that the British are not known for their patience. Lets be honest, you certainly need plenty of patience to have a Beagle.

I have met so many people that have had a Beagle but would NEVER have another one I've lost count. I've also met a few that love the breed but not many. I've met the same type of people who have said the exact same things to me that the people you have met have said Woojiebear. Many people appreciate just how cute, adorable and playful they are but would never have one.

I say it's their loss BUT the Beagle is not a breed suited to everyone and some people should never have one and I'm glad they don't.

Don't doubt your choice just because some people wouldn't have made the same choice. If you met someone with say for instance a breed that you would never have chosen you might be inclined to ask them the same question.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
very true - there are lots of breeds i would never choose that other people do.. but i don't make a point of telling them all the reasons why THEY shouldn't. geesh some people!
when i took her for a carry downtown last weekend i made sooo many new friends haha.. and ran into about 3 people that said o a beagle! we have/had one.. they're the best dogs!! enjoy her

its amazing how people differ. she is pretty smart! turned 3 months old today and is getting pretty good at commands like off, drop it, no, sit, come, outside and lay down
i've been impressed! i just really want a good puppy - and in my opinion you can have a good dog if you train them right and aren't lazy.
maybe these people are just too lazy to own beagles and take the time to be good parents.

all of you with older beagles - they are amazing right???

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Originally Posted By: Woojiebear
all of you with older beagles - they are amazing right???
LOL yes they are...well mine are most of the time
Training IS the key as you say and you are doing all the right things and you are a brilliant Beagle mummy

PS: Being lazy and owning a Beagle just don't go together in the same sentance. In fact being lazy and owning a dog don't go together. Many people really should have got a goldfish instead.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Well, I have to say, they aren't wrong. Toby and Lucky are definitely stubborn and will run away if given the chance!!!!! However, if that is all someone can see in a beagle they might just be blind!!! As a very stubborn person myself, I find a beagle's stubborness charming (not all the time, but generally speaking!). I like a dog with a mind of his own (well, a nose anyway!). They are so darn sweet and loveable, great with children and relatively low maintenance. You gotta take a little bad to get that much good!

Definitely not a breed for everybody, but that's o.k.! Don't ya just feel like we are all in on the secret - Beagles are the best!!! LOL!!!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hahahaha aw thanks
i'm trying my best!
between working 60 hrs a week and owning a beagle pup i think i'm makin out ok
but it is taking 3 of us full time to raise her right :p i'm so thankful for my help!
i'm getting her started in puppy school in the summer too
am very excited - she's super smart!
i know someone that got a puppy and did no training with it and now the poor thing is just ridiculous! its so annoying!
yes i agree - goldfish are just a better option sometimes! haha
thanks again

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I often get the same response. I have a friend who had a Beagle. He stayed out while it was raining and got hit by lightning. Of course, he didn't survive. Now, she thinks that all Beagles are stupid. When I got Jersey she just rolled her eyes and said Oh, a Beagle...they are so stupid.

I agree, Beagles aren't for everyone. All breeds have their good and bad though. Personally, I can't imagine having any other breed.

·
Registered
865 Posts
O.k., I am sorry, but a person leaves their beagle outside in a storm, the poor thing is struck by lightning and dies - and the beagle is the stupid one????

I mean no disrespect to your friend, but I had to say something!!! Seriously hoping I don't offend you, though.

That picture of Snoopy is just too cute for words!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I really didn't know what I was getting into when I got a beagle. All the negative responses from people when they heard I had a beagle made me really afraid that I might not be successful with Maggie. Luckily I found this group and Beagle Bay. I am about as stubborn as my beagle and I was determined to make things work out.
Now I don't want any other breed. Maggie is such a part of our lives I can't remember what it was like before we had her. ( I do remember that I could leave a book on the couch without having any pages eaten). I like to think of Maggie as a beagle ambassador. She is well behaved when we go on walks and to the pet store and is often invited by her obedience instructor to visit the new puppy classes and give the owners hope that their new puppies will one day have nice manners. At home Maggie is typical beagle, full of energy and in to everything, but thats Ok because she always adds a smile to my day.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Re: why do ppl have such bad opinions about beagle

Originally Posted By: Jennifer
PS: Being lazy and owning a Beagle just don't go together in the same sentance. In fact being lazy and owning a dog don't go together. Many people really should have got a goldfish instead.
Uh oh, I'm screwed then

Seriously, I didn't know what I was getting into either. Luigi is my first dog on my own, my first puppy, and our first family pet. So it's been a big learning experience for us. I probably should've started with something easier, but he melted our hearts when we saw him, and don't regret a second of it!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

aw that's all so great to hear

i couldn't agree more - it just requires work and patience!
i'm recognizing how clever little snoopy is and her potential is HUGE
so excited to start doggy school and teach her to be an obedient but fun pups
- and thanks for the picture comments she just loves the camera!

and yes i have to agree with the lightning story - poor thing out in the middle of a storm????

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

No one I've ever met who has or once had a beagle has warned me against them. They are merry and mischievous; maybe that just makes them a perfect match for me

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Beagles are a challenge, not doubt about it. However, I believe most people want a buy and forget dog. These are the ones who raise an eyebrow regarding Beags. Beagles require effort and understanding of the breed.

I happen to believe a dog should be cared for regardless of the breed or its challenges.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yeah, I know. My dad was 'spoiled' his whole life on dogs like Labradors, German Shepherds, and Cocker Spaniels. So he hears me talking about a Beagle, and he says 'Uh-oh. I'm not going to help you with the complaints from the neighbors' and 'you better get a female, 'cause they're easier to housebreak'. Sheesh!
About the only thing that sold him on the Beagle breeds is the fact they're small, don't shed as much as long-haired breeds, and are good with kids.

Personally, I'm probably not 100% sure of what I'm getting myself into, but after paranoid Annie, I think I can handle anything a Beagle can dish out.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Toby & LuckyO.k., I am sorry, but a person leaves their beagle outside in a storm, the poor thing is struck by lightning and dies - and the beagle is the stupid one????

I mean no disrespect to your friend, but I had to say something!!! Seriously hoping I don't offend you, though.

That picture of Snoopy is just too cute for words!
No offense taken! I'm with you. I try to keep my mouth shut when she talks about it. She knows it bothers me so it's not brought up too often.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts

I know just what you mean, woojiebear! When I first got Shiloh, I'd be walking her or just be out in the yard with her, and people would pass by and say things like, 'Wow you got a beagle,? They're a tough breed' or 'Beagles are pretty stubborn' or 'They're really hard to housebreak.' And if they didn't have something negative to say, they'd say, 'Oh my uncle [grandfather, brother, dad] had beagles--they're great hunting dogs.' Nobody every said, 'Wow, beagles are great dogs!' It made me begin to wonder what I'd gotten into, since I'd never had a hound of any kind.
But don't listen to those naysayers. Beagles were one of the last breeds to be domesticated, I read somewhere, and so they have more of a mind of their own than a lot of other breeds, and people who haven't had beagles often don't understand. But WE know what a wonderful breed this is, don't we?
I think Chloe's mommy had the best answer to those rude people: If you don't like them, then don't get one.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

haha good points!! i didn't know they were the last domesticated breed - that sorta makes more sense now :p yes they are headstrong but so are other breeds.... and they ARE clearly trainable! i've been sooo proud of my little snoopy... i've only had her for two weeks and already she can come to her name (or a whistle), sit, lay down, AND the BIG accomplishment.. she's almost housetrained!!! i'm amazed by that... she cries at the door to go to the bathroom! wow :)she also picked up on how to fetch right away and on top of all that she's sooo sweet and loving...
so yes... i for sure know what a wonderful breed this is

i take snoops to her first puppy school class on thursday! can't wait

·
Registered
220 Posts

Alright honestly. I don't give a s***.
If people have problems with beagle...well then it's their opinion, but like Eleanor already said - stay away from them! Don't get one if you don't like them!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts