Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe how many beautiful beagles are in shelters, just here in North Carolina.

There are at least 18 in the Guilford County Shelter and 20+ in Rockingham County.

I swear, if I ever had the money and/or space, I would adopt them all. It breaks my heart to see their sweet little faces, still wagging their tails.

Very sad.

·
Registered
443 Posts
There are many answers to that question - the main one being that first, people don't research the breed before getting their Beagle (if they did, they mite change their mind) and second, as a result of not doing that research - they are not prepared to accept and responsibly raise/own a Beagle - with all of their many possible challenges.

Shiloh B. was my first Beagle - it is mostly due to him that I now have Shasta B., my second and there will be more. But when Shiloh B. was growing up, probably 8 months or less, I had people telling me (even a dog trainer) that he may not be the dog for me - that I should probably look at getting a different dog (even my sis). But they all didn't really know me (nor did Shiloh B.) - I can be as stubborn and bull-headed as any Beagle out there - I was eager for the challenge of raising a Beagle. There are many people, even ones who have raised other puppies or who have had other dogs - they just do not want to be challenged with raising/owning responsibly, a Beagle. So, and especially after the puppy cuteness wears thin on people, the puppy or adult ends up out on the street or in a shelter.

And yes, it is terribly sad - I'm like you, I would love to offer a haven to all the unwanted Beagles.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Many are bred for hunting and are found not to be good hunting dogs. The owner takes them out into the woods and releases them. This happens far too often.

Others get a beagle because they are cute and have no idea what they are all about. They have not done any research on the breed. The pup grows up and suddenly they can't handle the dog. To the pound it goes.

Lastly, the beagles get out of their yards and get on a scent. Miles later, they lose the scent and can't find their way back.

·
Registered
147 Posts
certain breeds become popular based on trends (think 101 Dalmations). After Uno won Westminster, there were probably a ton of backyard breeders looking to make a quick buck on the beagle surging in popularity. When they can't sell their litters, they're dumped in shelters.

In my opinion the best beagles breed come from rescue!!! We were lucky to get a puppy, but someday soon I hope to rescue an older dog...

·
Registered
93 Posts
The place (a rescue situated on a huge farm) where I got Oreo has an area called Beagle Land. There are usually at least 8-12 Beagles there. It's so sad for me to think about it now.

I admit that Uno winning at Westminster made me want to get a Beagle but I read at least 5 books on dogs/Beagles and volunteered regularly at an animal shelter for 3 months before I adopted. Oh I can't wait to go home to my doggy!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Joe about summed it up. It boils down to some people are just not very nice.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think there are two big reasons - people don't research the breed enough to make sure it's suitable to them, and then they buy from a less than reputable source like a backyard breeder, puppy farmer or pet shop none of which care enough or know enough about the breed to vet potential homes properly.

A good, reputable breeder will interview owners extensively before selling them a pup and will make sure they are suitable to the breed and know all the pros and cons.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think it's a combination of things all of which have been covered in the previous posts. When we were considering a puppy we did a lot of research and a lot of soul searching to determine if we wanted the responsibility of a beagle.

We selected a good quality breeder who we interviewed and who interviewed us. We toured the breeders facilities before we chose Murphy and got to meet Murphy's parents-we spent about 20 minutes playing with his dad.

Beagles are not for everyone, but they are so cute that everyone wants one. After we brought Murphy home some friends came over and, after meeting Murphy, wanted a beagle puppy. Knowing their lifestyle and personalities we persuaded them to consider another breed. There is no doubt in our minds that they don't have the dedication it takes to own a beagle.

There is no doubt in my mind that if they would have gotten a beagle puppy, by the time the puppy was 12 months old he/she would be in a shelter.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I know the feeling, I could just cry. In SD we have had at least 8 raids of puppy mills in the last three months. There was one where most of the dogs were beagles or beagle mixes. I did cry when I saw the report on tv....wanted to run all the way to the shelter and pick them all up. My dream is to have a 6-pack!

I don't know why there are so many that are left....but I really do believe it is as Kim and other's have stated, people see that they are cute pups and don't consider that they grow up (this could be with any breed) and let's face it, we have to be special people to take these little howlers into our homes and hearts, they can be a handful. An answer, ? I don't know, unless each of us takes about 50 of them into our homes. OMG!

·
Registered
350 Posts
i think my retirement home would be about 50 acres with enough kennel space for 100 beagles.
i would love it.
C.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I too could just cry when I see so many beagles looking for a forever home. I think everybody's pretty much summed up the reasons why: people don't do their homework, aren't prepared for what it takes to raise a beagle puppy, they give up too soon, and as someone said, some people just aren't very nice (which is putting it mildly.) And I admit that when we got Miss Shiloh I didn't know anything about beagles--I did all my research after the fact. The first year or so was awful in some ways, wonderful in others. But she means the world to me now, and I hate to think of life without her.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The ones that make me the saddest are the seniors that the family doesn't have time for. The kids grow up and leave and the parents want to travel and not be bothered by a dog anymore. We get so many 8 to 12 year olds that have been in one home their entire life and aren't wanted anymore.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
My thought would be that beagles are small, adorable as puppies and people think of them as a good family dog. THEN.....beagle comes home, doesn't get trained or walked enough, howls/barks, and basically acts like a beagle. So back to the pound they go. You can't take them home like they are a stuffed animal and expect them to be angels. They are dogs and have beagle instincts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chabonclyi think my retirement home would be about 50 acres with enough kennel space for 100 beagles.
i would love it.
C.
Oh this sounds great!

Ummm, though I would need satellite and internet access too. I need my interwebs and I'm not too proud to admit my addiction

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shiloh is my first pure bread Beagle. I had a beagle/rottie mix named Daisy that passed away 2 years ago. (July 3)

I fell in love with the beagle side of her immediately. I knew I needed another night night buddy and started researching and reading about beagles. I do not have a fenced yard but Shiloh goes on 2 long walks everyday and rides with me everywhere, except for work.

He seems to be a happy little hound.

And I agree with Chaboncly, that sounds like a great retirement place.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Another reason you see beagles in rescue centres, is because they were bred for research. Susi and Snoopy were bred for this purpose and allowed out aged 6. Our first beagle came from such a breeder, she sold a few of a litter as pets, the rest to research.Bilbo was a lucky one, but then her owners couldnt keep her so we took her. Our second beagle was adopted from a family who were out most of the day, and wondered why a beagle pup demolished their flat. People dont think things through.
The main reason though is people buy a 'cute' puppy and it grows up. The pup is then unwanted. In the UK we used to see a poster which read, Dogs are for life, not just for Christmas.
People should be made to pay dog tax and insurance when they buy a dog.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I was told that in places like Louisiana where hunting with dogs is big, that labs and beagles come a dime a dozen because the litters are so big and they are allowed to breed indiscriminately.

In fact, loads of labs are pulled from pounds in the south and taken up to the northeast to find homes because, I am told, labs are not so abundant. Those of you in the northeast might know more about that.

The rescuer who provided me with my beags (from Louisiana) said that beagles that make it to shelters down there have a very bleak future because they are so plentiful.

So I'm told...

~Denise

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Originally Posted By: Sephlyalso the uno situation created a huge influx of people wanting them.
You are so right. Everytime a movie comes out about certain breeds, I cringe, because I know that people are going to be inspired to have a dog like the one in the move. (101 Dalmations anyone?)

Uno winning the show no doubt had the same effect.

~Denise

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I do believe beagles/hounds are not for everyone! Obviously I am in love with the breed and am so happy with our three (may even get one more to have an even number heehee) but understand their uniqueness.
Some people think we are crazy and dont understand how we do it, but quite honestly I dont give it a second thought, I know in my heart the beagle/hound is right for us!
Sadly, not everyone feels the same, many people do not know what they are getting into or think all dogs are the same (I have had to bite my tongue when people pass comments or offer unsolicited advice about our beagles but I take it with a grain of salt now).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts