Our Beagle World Forums banner

Who's gonna win!!

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Gingergoose 
#1 ·
Well with the holidays now over my family is trying to get back on a schedule.

The last few days I've put Maggie and Jasmine's food down and they just look at it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif The next morning the food is still there.
I know during the holidays they were fed lots of goodies and I'm guessing they're holding out for more. They will eat if you hand feed them, but who really has the time. :hi:
What these two don't realize is their big brother and the Cat like their food...
Is anyone else going through the same thing?

See less See more
#2 ·
I suspect that the Bagel is one of the few who didn't get overindulged during the holidays. For the last 8 years I've never changed his brand of kibble nor has he ever not eaten his full measure so my advice may be suspect. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I never offer the Bagel more kibble than he needs and todays ration is reduced by any treats he recieved yesterday so if he is getting 1 and 3/4 cup of kibble per day and last night recieved 6 ounces of steak, he would recieve only a cup of kibble in his bowl this morning. I try to never treat him so much on any day he doesn't get at least a half cup of kibble for breakfast.

If you don't succumb to those beagly eyes you should win and while trying to instill guilt and score some more goodies, they will eat if that ploy fails. Hang tough, it is better for them than to to let them manipulate you into more unhealthy treats!

#3 ·
Great topic!

We keep a bowl of dry food out and give some canned food in the morning and in the evening.

Too often, mine refuse to eat the canned. It usually gets put out for the raccoons the next day then it's back to guessing what kind of canned to try and give them.

They go through spurts...only want chopped, then only want chunky, have stopped eating the "adult/lean" altogether.

Needless to say, while they are turning their noses up at their own food, they stake out the kitchen for handouts.

I realize I created these little "monsters" and I happen to know with absolute certainty that they are well nourished. (one look will tell you that).

I envy the people here with more regimented mealtimes and dogs who eat their food.

#5 ·
A while back I posted about Maggie having a similar problem -- ignoring the food and begging for treats instead. The advice given to me was to be firm and consistent. I also cut back on the amount of food I gave her. It wasn't easy for me psychologically but it only took three days for Maggie to learn the new routine! If Maggie did not clean her bowl by the time I washed my dinner dishes, hers got thrown out and there were no treats for the evening. Until she figured it out, she moaned and groaned all evening long -- definitely not an easy thing to listen to without giving in. Maggie's bowl is now licked clean every night and she's lost two and a half pounds (hooray!!).

#8 ·
And I thought Wyatt was weird... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Now here's proof that he isn't the little prince his daddy claims he is!

As you can tell, Wyatt does the same thing. I am a teacher and over my breaks, Wyatt and I have what we call "coffee break." We get up whenever we want, we eat whenever we want, and life is good. When I go back to school, watch out! Wyatt likes the carefree lifestyle and his breakfast will sit out all day until supper comes around. Those are the nights that he only gets supper and no treats.

Judging by the way Wyatt is, I think you might have to chalk this one up to a change in the routine. Once things get back to "normal," I think Maggie and Jasmine will be their old selves. Who knows what goes on inside those sweet little brains. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

#10 ·
Sadie and Pooh did that when they were little puppies. I was so worried that they weren't eating their dry food that I made it a game for them. Yes, I had the time to do this. I would sit on the floor with their bowl and roll pieces of the dry food across the floor. They would chase the pieces down and gobble them up. I was happy that they were eating. I didn't have to do this long and they ate it on their own soon after.

#11 ·
Franny has started doing this. She'll look at me, look at her food, look at me, walk over to her treat container, look at me, look at the treats, etc. This is a problem since Molly (aka Dyson) will wolf down her food, and is more than happy to wolf down Franny's also. I have to coax Franny into eating.

#12 ·
My two little girl dogs, Henry's "sisters", have been this way since I can remember. It's always been hit-and-miss whether they were going to eat their food. Of course, they rarely turn down a treat or people-food.

Being a beag, Henry would probably be a little eating machine but it seems he has picked up the same finicky habit as his sisters.

Funny thing...I just had a pet-sitter here over the New Years holidays...they seemed to eat very well for her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.