Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I must have posted this, but cant find it anywhere.

Snoopy is the most loving beagle, wants to touch us, be near us, sleeps on me all the time.

Marbles seems distant....we got him 6 weeks ago, he was neutered, we had 2 weeks with him constant, but we had to place him in day care for the last 5 days, now we both have to work Xmas and have to put them in another 5 days.

Marbles just sniffs around, plays, acts happy but doesnt like the affection like Snoopy. He acts like he doesnt want to be loved, just wants to do what he wants...we hug and love him to death, but he just wants to go away, never wants to snuggle or love /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Is this b/c he is a puppy? We want him to love us but the connection that Snoopy has with us is very different...Marbles acts like he just wants to do whatever...he did start wagging his tail when we come in, but Snoopy goes insane..jumps all over us, is so happy...Marbles doesnt do that..

I just want him to be happy....get this...When we picked him up from doggie day care, he ran from us??? My heart broke, why would he do that..I think he is in daycare too much right now but we cant do anything about it...I wont leave him 12 hours alone..and he loves day care, but maybe he thinks they are his family now??? I dont know, but I hope he comes around and loves us the way we love him

Manda

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Marbles is'nt that old is he pegasus?

Caleb was a very cuddly puppy. Foxy Roo is on her terms.

Gwenni was at least six months before she would come and snuggle before hand she was always on the move to the point she would wriggle and buck about and we would put her back in the puppy pen as she was too much to hold. Hence Gwenni Wig Wig

Then she hit six months and became a real snuggle buggle. At nights she sits next to you and faces you and buries her head under your arm like a baby chick with a mother bird.

Marbles is probably being busy being a wriggly energetic busy puppy. I am sure as he grows so will your snuggle times.

He is still finding out about the world and being an explorer

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke wasn't that lovable from around 3 months to 6 or 7 months. Now he's back to being more lovable (when he wants to be, that is.LOL). I think they are like teens that push away to gain their independence.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hellen,
Yeah, Marbles is still a pup, we got him at about 6 months, he is now 7 months...almost half of the time he has been in day care...a wonderful 24 hour all staff place, we love it there, but only half of the time he has been with us.

This is why we were hesitant to get him b/c we knew we had to work a lot over the holiday then my gma had a stroke, and poor dog has been in day care a lot...but still with us when we could...but we just knew he was the perfect age at 6 months, and was crate trained, ect..we had to get him!!

He did get neutered a few weeks ago, and we had a full 2 weeks with him, we both took off work to make sure we could be with him

He plays, seems happy, but just doesnt stop at all..moves all the time, playes, I just cant seem to keep my eye off him..that is why I havent posted a lot..im always watching him..now he has a pig ear to occupy him thank god..hehe

I hope this is puppy stage, I just want him to be happy...he came from the desert in Cali, where he could run and play, I dont think he was given much love, and I hope he will love us the way we love him

Amanda

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our two want to be cuddled all the time. However, our last beagle, Spotty, hated being picked up. She enjoyed our company and didnt like being left on her own, but simply didnt like cuddles. Our first beagle was a softy. Its like humans, some are affectionate and need body contact others cant show their affection and dislike body contact.
Give Marbles time, you'll see later what type he is.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I would give him more time. If I understand it you have only had him a month or so? And he has been in day care quite a bit during that time. He just needs time to adjust. He sounds happy though.

Our male, Pooh Bear doesn't like to cuddle as much as Sadie. Pooh Bear doesn't like to be held. He does like to come up and lay near us or cuddle up to our legs. But doesn't like all that mushy lovy dovy stuff like Sadie does. They just have different personalites. Which is probably what Marbles has. He just has a different personality, which could change as he gets older and more adjusted.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I can only repeat what everyone else has said - Marbles is young plus I don't think you can really tell what a dog's personality is like until they have fully settled in and become comfortable, secure and bonded with you - and that bonding time is also going to take longer for some dogs than others. Having him in daycare a lot may or may make it take longer for him to bond - but I really don't think it stops the bonding from happening entirely (nor would I expect a dog to resent that you have put him in daycare or anything like that). You also mention that you don't think Marbles has had a lot of love in the past - he might just not know how to react and it is going to take time for him to figure it out.

And our three are all very different in that regard as well - Popcorn is the cuddliest but, like Snoopy, she is also the most afraid of everyone and everything and therefore some of that is probably not that she loves us any more than the others but just that she needs us around her more than the others do. Moosie can be cuddly but it has to be on his terms (and definitely not if he is busy playing). Booker is the least cuddly of the three and sometimes we can get a little frustrated with her because she really doesn't show much love at all... and at times she can be downright standoffish. But then she'll turn around and come in for a cuddle when you least expect it, or totally freak out if she thinks we're going somewhere and leaving her behind - and then we realize that she does love us but just shows it less effusively than the others!

Good luck - I really think you just have to give him some time.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Shiloh was like that sometime when he was puppy but now things are changing for the better. I know how you feel because I felt that same way. It would really hurt me sometime to think that I had a puppy that really didn't care to be here;or so it seemed to me. But after reading this thread I guess it just shows how some beagles tend to show a little more independece than others until they growup some. JMO

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree that you have to give him some time, and accept that he might not ever be like Snoopy. I've had dogs who liked to be with people, but really didn't want to be petted a lot, and dogs who would try and climb in your lap every chance they got. Some animals are just less social and more independent by nature.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all of you for your posts....I guess I just thought that most beagles were very loving and loved to be near us..

Like you said, Snoopy is probably more attached given he is a rescue, very scared of people and sounds, and we give him security.

Marbles is very confident, they even notice it in daycare...yes, he was there a lot...but we kept him home 2 weeks strait, now he has to go in for another 4 days..he is starting to be more affectionate, but not near what Snoopy is.

I wonder a lot if I should have rescued another shelter dog...it was a very long and hard decision and a huge conflict for me to get a older puppy but we did it b/c of Snoopy...but I think Marbles is coming around, and the confidence Snoopy is showing now is awesome!! Snoopy actually let someone feed him today, normally he would shy away and shake...I hope I made the right decision..

Thanks again

Manda

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi
I think you just have to accept the fact that they are all individuals and love them for what they are. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
All the Beagles I have had were very different characters even though some have been very closely related,Griffin is nothing like his father Dylan was, in fact total opposites.
Both my Basset hounds are rescues but again totally different in character,Rupert is far more needy than Precious is.Just love them both and enjoy the versatility of their nature.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Pegasus:
I wonder a lot if I should have rescued another shelter dog...it was a very long and hard decision and a huge conflict for me to get a older puppy but we did it b/c of Snoopy...but I think Marbles is coming around, and the confidence Snoopy is showing now is awesome!! Snoopy actually let someone feed him today, normally he would shy away and shake...I hope I made the right decision..
I really think you did exactly the right thing getting a confident dog like Marbles... as I think Snoopy is a lot like Popcorn and if that is the case I really do think the best thing for him is to have a very confident dog around him - not another scaredy-dog that could just add new fears to the many he already has...

That may mean a bit less "love" for you (although I would really call it more "reliance" on you) from Marbles, but in exchange for that I think Snoopy is going to get what he really needs - which is an example of confidence that hopefully he can learn from.

On that point, I have noticed more and more how many little things Porcorn seems to pick up from Booker, who is a very confident and self-reliant beagle (sometimes too much so, as I mentioned above). And Popcorn definitely is calmer when Booker is around - I could almost interpret it as Popcorn knowing that Booker "has her back" and isn't going to let anything bad happen to her...

It sounds like Marbles is already having a positive effect on Snoops - and I think that is a wonderful thing!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I rescued Li'l Girl when she was somewhere around a year old. She's a sweetheart, and likes to be near me, but never has been a real cuddler. When she does want cuddling, she lets me know.

Our Spook, on the other hand, is a love sponge. He'd let us love and cuddle him for hours on end. So, as others have said, dogs have different personalities.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie likes to sit by me on the couch and she has her own chair by the computer for when I am working there. She loves to be scratched and sometimes chooses to climb on my lap but she does not like to be held or hugged. I would love to have a cuddly dog but that just isn't Maggie. Maybe the next one will like to cuddle.
Connie

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow, I guess Marbles is normal hu?

We have been wondering why he doesnt attach to us so much, but I really think it is b/c of what you all said..his personality mostly.

Snoopy is so attached it is crazy and I guess we got used to that...but a rescue dog like him and where he came from and how much he has progressed is amazing..we just want Marbles to love us the same, but it will never be the same..but we love him so much!!

Thanks again
Manda

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:wow, I guess Marbles is normal hu?
Yes,and overtime it will change for the better. Shiloh now feels he must lay on my feet when I am sitting in my recliner. He likes his tummy rubs and plenty of scatching and little petting but a lot. Beagles are just different and that is their nature ! Merry Christmas :wave:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts