Our Beagle World Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I agree on the needless surgery but females are born with their parts too! We casually spay them as if its a toenail clipping. The incision for Oliver's neuter wasn't a inch long. Spaying and neutering is the easiest thing we can do to prevent unwanted and neglected dogs. There is no 100% guarantee that at some time an intact male won't get out and cause a litter. If someone isn't going to show the dog or breed then it should be altered.
I don't know what everyone else is paying but I paid $135.00(US) to have Oliver neutered. A spay is generally about 225-250. That's with pain meds and antibiotics.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Id have a female done. females are alot more likley for many cancers when intact. plus if I have males, well they would have balls. and I dont want to deal with that or a accident.

If my dogs ever got out they would be 100 times more likley to be killed by a car then find a female. i live in the city, no loose dogs. The last loose dog i seen was about 2 years ago. and he was a old JRT that dug out of his yard. and almost hit by a car. we simply dont have a stray dog problem here at all, not in the least. heck you hardly even see cats around here.

But I fully agree with speutering if you do not feel you can contain your dog. or if there is some massive intact stray issue ect

·
Registered
332 Posts
I paid 50 for Horton and Marley's neuter. 50 a piece that is. I know spaying is a bit more expensive. I just honestly didn't want sexually frustrated dogs. That seems like more of an injustice to the dog than removing testicles that he will never use.
I'd rather be sexually frustrated than have my bollocks cut off lol.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
My vet suggests spaying or neutering between 4-5 months - but not earlier than that. I've followed his advice with all except the ones I've adopted at an older age, and it's pretty easy for them. Have never had problems with either the males or females.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All right I'm just going to say it.

I think most of the time it's men that don't want to neuter. God forbid they lop off "the boys" but we can spay a girl with a blink of the eye. Males have such a fascination with balls. Trust me guys but we women aren't impressed....

Speaking from a male perspective- just a little bit of a sexist comment- isn’t it. But who cares - it’s directed at men so it doesn’t count, right? ☀🤣 Most men are not as stupid as you seem to think. We’re a lot more reasonable than that. We’re concerned only for the animals health. If it were a female we’d be just as concerned about the effects of spaying on her health. What kind of douchepools do you dwell around? 🤣. Funny comment, but at the same time- Uuuhh, what!? Anyway- I actually came here looking for scientific information about the effects of spaying- but considering most of you seem to be female, I doubt that I’ll find any. That was a joke. A much better one. Okay, bye. 😎. (Hopefully you find this amusing)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Maturing with hormones is important - we left Neb to 18 months and frankly I wish we'd never neutered. He was the only dog we've had who didn't come altered.

If we ever get another intact male (possibly from a breeder?) I would try to find a vet to do a vasectomy. They can be done in dogs and I think that's the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
Dodger
51 Posts
I don’t see anyone saying they had contracts with there breeders. When I bought Dodger, the breeder wouldn’t release papers unless I was going to either use him as a stud and show dog, then he got different papers the cost was different and she got puppies out of the deal, but he is a pet, so I had to agree to neuter him, because she has the right to preserve her beagle line by not inter breeding him without her consent, so I had to sign a contract to neuter him this is typical if your buying a AKC beagle from a reputable breeder, so you should know when and if your to neuter your male beagle (female)unless he’s NOT an AKC beagle. There are rules to follow with your beagle, you really shouldn’t have male beagle humping in your home or marking it’s inappropriate behavior for your dog and then when he grows up he’s going to be harder to handle because your letting him behave like a spoiled child, you think it’s funny or appropriate to go beyond 6 months for neutering, then your training is not going to be easy, by a year, your male or female is set in there way, but what do I know, my mom and 5 brothers and I trained dogs for 20 years.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts