Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
personally I dont even bother. id spay. but I let the boys keep their stuff.

with that said, if I was to snip them. id wait atleast 12-18months (longer if its a large breed)

humping is SO many things, play, excitment, domience, insecure, re directing pent up energy

its all about training and redirecting him to something else.

neither of my 2 intact males (10 years old and 3 years old) have a humping issue. only time solo humps is when Blaze is barking to much when at the lake (blaze loves to bark and bark at the lake)

·
Registered
398 Posts
FWIW Im a female. I dont care much to see their balls. But in all honesty I dont feel they need to have some surgery either. they were born with them. and if need be in the future for medical reasons, then they will be taken away. Other wise they can keep them. and Ill keep the 400-500 bucks too. lol

·
Registered
398 Posts
I agree on the needless surgery but females are born with their parts too! We casually spay them as if its a toenail clipping. The incision for Oliver's neuter wasn't a inch long. Spaying and neutering is the easiest thing we can do to prevent unwanted and neglected dogs. There is no 100% guarantee that at some time an intact male won't get out and cause a litter. If someone isn't going to show the dog or breed then it should be altered.
I don't know what everyone else is paying but I paid $135.00(US) to have Oliver neutered. A spay is generally about 225-250. That's with pain meds and antibiotics.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Id have a female done. females are alot more likley for many cancers when intact. plus if I have males, well they would have balls. and I dont want to deal with that or a accident.

If my dogs ever got out they would be 100 times more likley to be killed by a car then find a female. i live in the city, no loose dogs. The last loose dog i seen was about 2 years ago. and he was a old JRT that dug out of his yard. and almost hit by a car. we simply dont have a stray dog problem here at all, not in the least. heck you hardly even see cats around here.

But I fully agree with speutering if you do not feel you can contain your dog. or if there is some massive intact stray issue ect

1 - 3 of 3 Posts