Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plan is to have Harry neutered when he is 12 to 18 months old, however I am starting to re-think this and am looking for when other people have neutered their Beagles.

Harry is nearly 7 months old, has been cocking his leg since 12 weeks and marking since he was 4.5 months old. He will mark over anywhere that either of my lab girls wee (they have both been spayed). His humping is also getting far more sexual and is no longer just the adrenalin driven excited humping ... even the poor cat gets it! I stop any humping as soon as I see him at it, but I do know that it can become a habit as much as anything.

I don't believe in neutering too early as he still needs the hormones for his development (both physically and mentally), but I have been thinking of maybe taking him when he is 10 months old.

I'm interested to hear what others think and when they neutered their dogs.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Well I have never had a male.... That said all dogs will hump when excited. Rascal will mark where other dogs have marked. I call it 'peemail' Are your other dogs spayed?
I don't think it would hurt him. After all it would be the females carrying puppies.
techie

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Have you talked to your vet about when its the best time to neuter? I've always neutered as soon as I can. My B/T coonhound got his done at 7 months. So I'd check with your vet.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Reactions: Champagne

·
Registered
398 Posts
personally I dont even bother. id spay. but I let the boys keep their stuff.

with that said, if I was to snip them. id wait atleast 12-18months (longer if its a large breed)

humping is SO many things, play, excitment, domience, insecure, re directing pent up energy

its all about training and redirecting him to something else.

neither of my 2 intact males (10 years old and 3 years old) have a humping issue. only time solo humps is when Blaze is barking to much when at the lake (blaze loves to bark and bark at the lake)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had mine neutered at 6 months. As I cannot control other people it keeps him from chasing all over the neighborhood chasing females in heat. I also reduces his marking behavior. Talk to your vet but the earlier that you have your pet neutered the easier it is on the pet.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
My boy was a shelter puppy, so I didn't have a wait option. He was neutered at 8 weeks. While not what we would do, if we had a choice, it has caused him no harm. He squats when he pees, which is great for my garden. He still humps some, but not much. I know the neuter thing can be a touchy topic. I even had my rabbit neutered. Good thing, because he was totally out of control. Those rabbits. GEEZ! As for your beagle, I agree with My6. Discuss it with your vet. I would rather have the dog neutered sooner than later.

·
Registered
332 Posts
6 months is about the right age but I personally wouldn't have a male done. Make sure you do your research. A lot of the time the marking won't be fixed or the humping. My dog is intact and he never marks in the house he humps our female dog and she does him.
I'd try solving the dogs behaviour issues first as chopping his balls off isn't guaranteed to work, it has been known to make problems worse especially as your dog is a little older

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My vets preference is to wait until they are around 12 months old so doing it earlier is going to require some good discussion points from my side. This is for both physical and psychological reasons, which I understand and agree with. My Labs are spayed so that is not my worry.

As for his behaviour, I know that humping is not just a sexual thing and can be caused by over excitement, adrenalin, etc. and both of my spayed girls will hump, however, the humping he is displaying now is not the normal excited/adrenalin humping he has shown previously. It is most definitely of a more sexual nature and this is the main reason I am considering neutering earlier than the 12 months I originally had in mind.

I don't fancy having an in tact male around that could become prone to wandering, particularly as there are both Whippet and Border Terrier breeders only a street away from me. One of their bitches being in season could have Harry disappearing at the first opportunity.

It is interesting to read other people's perspective and the varying opinions on whether to neuter or not and when.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Personally, I think your boy is old enough to be neutered. If you want him neutered now and your vet won't do it, find a vet who will. Your boy will be perfectly fine. Every shelter dog is speutered - some very young. Most of us have had our dogs speutered at 6-7 months. I have never had any issues from having my pups speutered. (Or the rabbit either.) LOL!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
All right I'm just going to say it.

I think most of the time it's men that don't want to neuter. God forbid they lop off "the boys" but we can spay a girl with a blink of the eye. Males have such a fascination with balls. Trust me guys but we women aren't impressed....

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Marley and Horton were both neutered at 6 months old. They don't miss their testicles at all and it helped them not get into the hormonal stuff that goes with having testicles. However, both of them still hump things when they get overly excited. But, that I just attribute to excitement and not anything sexual. LOL Maybe I'm wrong about that, I have no idea.

·
Registered
398 Posts
FWIW Im a female. I dont care much to see their balls. But in all honesty I dont feel they need to have some surgery either. they were born with them. and if need be in the future for medical reasons, then they will be taken away. Other wise they can keep them. and Ill keep the 400-500 bucks too. lol

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Well, my big ol' German Shepherd foster dog must have been neutered young, because he squats to pee. It sure didn't affect his size, because he is huge. I love that he squats. Can you imagine how high up he would hit my plants, if he lifted his leg? LOL!

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Horton still squats too. Marley in a very macho way, just lifts a foot about an inch off the ground. Why? I have no idea. They were the same age when they were neutered. LOL

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
FWIW Im a female. I dont care much to see their balls. But in all honesty I dont feel they need to have some surgery either. they were born with them. and if need be in the future for medical reasons, then they will be taken away. Other wise they can keep them. and Ill keep the 400-500 bucks too. lol

I agree on the needless surgery but females are born with their parts too! We casually spay them as if its a toenail clipping. The incision for Oliver's neuter wasn't a inch long. Spaying and neutering is the easiest thing we can do to prevent unwanted and neglected dogs. There is no 100% guarantee that at some time an intact male won't get out and cause a litter. If someone isn't going to show the dog or breed then it should be altered.
I don't know what everyone else is paying but I paid $135.00(US) to have Oliver neutered. A spay is generally about 225-250. That's with pain meds and antibiotics.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
I paid 50 for Horton and Marley's neuter. 50 a piece that is. I know spaying is a bit more expensive. I just honestly didn't want sexually frustrated dogs. That seems like more of an injustice to the dog than removing testicles that he will never use.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts