Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am extremely new to owning a dog and I've heard many people say that BARF diets are really goood for dogs but I am curious if Moji is too young. She is three months today...is that too young?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
No, 3 months is not too young for a BARF diet. However, I would suggest a gradual change over to this way of feeding. Many people here in Germany swear by it, but I havent actually tried it. It would be a good idea to buy a book on the subject. Type in BARF on internet and you will find a lot of information on this subject. Never feed raw pork to your dog!!!!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Never having heard about the barf diet I looked it up and it seems pretty interesting had some good points.

I'm just having a hard time with the acronym and associating it with dog...dog barf /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The key is in finding fresh raw food. I don't think I could find a fresh raw chicken in Nevada unless I raised it myself! There great advantages to even a partial BARF diet in that if you gave your dog say 1/4 of a raw chicken a week, gnawing up the bones would keep the doggies teeth clean. My problem is that the longer chicken or any other meat product sits, the need to cook it increases. Read up before commiting to such a diet. Canines in the wild have evolved on such a diet but then, the meat they eat is fresh /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by BeagleBabe:
I thought chicken bones were bad for dogs?
Bones are only bad if and only if they have been cooked. Cooked chicken bones are the worst as they splinter very easily but all cooked bones can splinter. Raw chicken bones (any raw bone) is completely digestable. Chewing up the bones cleans the plaque and other not so-good stuff off their teeth and gums and is far better than and cheaper than any other doggie dental hygiene.

The key to the "Bones And Raw Food" diet is the "R" in BARF. If I lived on the ranch that I gre up on and had lot's of old laying hens, the Bagel would be on the BARF diet but a good brand of kibble and occasional raw bones works as well.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm just having a hard time with the acronym and associating it with dog...dog barf /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
Ditto. I'm especially sensitive to that after Booker was spectacularly sick three times this morning between 5:00 am and when I left for work - think Exorcist and you'll have an idea... I think she threw up a little one more time since I left but hopefully whatever made her sick is now gone... What was sweet was that the first time she threw up Popcorn came and woke me up - she definitely knew that Booker needed my help. What a great little sister!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Whole Foods around where I live caters to dog owners who have pets on the BARF diet which will help when I decide to put Moji on this diet. Right now we are feeding her Nature's Variety and adding some salmon oil (we bought at Whole Foods) to help her coat look shiny and healthy but I'd like to put her on the BARF diet as soon as Moji is old enough....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Also, when you are starting out make sure you have loads of plain yogurt on hand to aid digestion and loads of plain pumpkin for when your dogs gets the runs which will happen for the first few weeks until their system acclimates. Starting them off on chicken is apparently easier for them to digest. Make sure you do a lot of research on this diet. There is quite a bit more to it than just feeding raw meet. Some meats need to frozen for a while before eating and some they may need and you have never heard of them or even though of them as a viable food source like green tripe (not white) which smells awful, but they love it and it is so good for them. Some call it BARF and some call it RAW and I think the main difference is veggies. It all comes down to what you believe goes on, but I don't see wild dogs eating too many greens in the wild so my dogs don't get a lot of veggies which is typically Prey model RAW. So much to tell and I did approx. 6 months + of research and another 2 months trying to convince hubby to go for it.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
That's really good to know. I have only bought Abby chewing bones you like dingos...I always wanted to get her those bigger than she is butcher bones just to see what she'd do but was worried about something bad happening.

Quote:Originally posted by bob:
I thought chicken bones were bad for dogs?
Bones are only bad if and only if they have been cooked. Cooked chicken bones are the worst as they splinter very easily but all cooked bones can splinter. Raw chicken bones (any raw bone) is completely digestable. Chewing up the bones cleans the plaque and other not so-good stuff off their teeth and gums and is far better than and cheaper than any other doggie dental hygiene.

The key to the "Bones And Raw Food" diet is the "R" in BARF. If I lived on the ranch that I gre up on and had lot's of old laying hens, the Bagel would be on the BARF diet but a good brand of kibble and occasional raw bones works as well.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Just when I thought of starting the raw chicken bone on Charlie, I may want to reconsider. Yes, we do not have really fresh chicken, defrosted couple of days old.

Charlie mom

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
My preference is to wait for 6 months before starting the dog on raw food.
The other thing is to make sure to include grain in it. Personally, I like to use raw oat to give it bulk. Dogs fed with a mixed of Meat/veggies/fruit BARF, are far more likely to suffer from anal sac infections. often requiring surgery. By adding grain, which a dog daes need, it avoids the problem.
Also, the balance is very important. Too much meat on a growing pup can lead to serious health problem including decalcification with spontanuous fractures.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for your responses and advice..i will take it everything into consideration before starting her on this diet.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi! I also heard BARF was suppose to be wonderful but I just could not get myself to feed my dogs raw meat. Yuck... Anyway..... I researched foods for my epileptic Beagle Spencer and started him on Innova EVO, this is the next best thing to feeding raw! You will be amazed on the health of your pet after starting this diet. Spencer looks fabulous! He only has had 1 bath in over 3 years and you would be amazed how great he looks! Shinny coat, sparkling teeth and overall health is great! Vet is also amazed on this food. It is expensive, $35 for a 20 lb bag or $60 for a 40 lb bad. Yep, crazy expensive, but I just feed it to Spencer so it lasts longer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts