Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our vet says not before Marley is 5 months old and has had his 5th puppy shot.

I thought they only did 4, first of all, and second, I know there are classes for pups younger than 5 mths. So why does my Vet say wait? She also said wait until then to take him out into the neighborhood, nothing other than our back/front yards. I cheated slightly by walking him on the sidewalk in front about 3 houses down in each direction. Just to start him learning.

Is she ultra conservative or are others getting the same advice?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not sure about training but I know the breeder had told us that we should't put her down for walks until about 5 months old. If we were to talk Brewster for a walk I would probably get a little puppie carry and take her on my shoulder so that she can get used to the outdoors but not get exhausted.

Our breeder gets frustrated because she thinks that the Vet will give you generic advice and not breed specific advice like she can. I suppose I take a little bit of both on board and make a decision from there. Its hard though.

We are scheduled to take Maggie on puppy obedience classes - run by the breeder and the dog club in the new year which by that time she will be 5 months old .. Not sure if we will do it though as my husband has been so fantastic with Brewster, we have taught him to sit, lay down, get into your bed, down, even managed to make him wait by the kitchen rather than come into the kitchen. He has also trained him to wait patiently and sit until he is told that he can eat rather than jumping all over the food when we try to put it down on the ground. We will see how Maggie responds to my husbands training and if she needs it - we may take her.

I'm not sure I've been much help except ramble on !! :lol2:

·
Registered
158 Posts
my vet also said that she shouldn't go out of the garden before finishing her vaccinations (3 plus 3 boosters) but she finished them before 5 months - maybe the age depends on which shots they get?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
We went to our first classes at the vet's office when Maggie was about 10 weeks old. They were puppy socialization classes. All the puppies were clients of the the vet so they all had the correct shots and exams before participating. We went for an hour and a half for 4 weeks. The pups got lots of play time. They talked to us about things to be careful about, feeding, crate training etc. We worked on a couple of basic commands. I think it was sit and down. The puppies got to go through the exam rooms and practiced sitting on a table, getting their ears and teeth checked and stepping on the scale. It was a good experience and I am glad we got a chance to do this.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey had her last set of puppy shots at 11/12 weeks and we started puppy obedience immediately after. I even asked my vet to make sure that it was OK to bring her to the classes. They were at PetSmart and everyone in the class had to prove their dogs had their full vacinations before they could be allowed into the classes. I think that your vet does sound ultra conservative. However, there may be helath concerns in New Jersey that we don't have here in Florida as much (Lyme's Disease comes to mind).

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone. So our Vet seems to be right in line. He has been nowhere else other than our front/back yard as well as right in front of the house. I did walk him down the street to the third house to see how he was on the leash. I did not let him in the grass, nor did he get to stop and sniff or pick anything up. I have not done it anymore though because I got paranoid that he could catch something. Not long to wait. He will have his 4th booster on Monday and will be 5 months 10/1. He then has one more booster to get. Seems she started out saying 4, and now it's he needs 5.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Parvo is out there and you never know where. I have seen two puppies now where the owners could not be bothered with shots that have died and one of them never left her own front yard. You are much safer to wait until they have all their shots. You know how careful an owner you are, what you have to be aware of is that not everyone else out there is as careful. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts