Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As if my weekend wasn't bad enough, Maggie had a mishap Saturday evening. While sprinting across the backyard to retrieve a tennis ball, it seems she may have torn her cruciate in her left knee. She had surgery on the right one year ago today. Mag goes in today for x-rays.

When is it going to end?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh, that does seem like too much!
Sometimes, we wonder why bad things seem to come in bunches. Sorry to read about Maggie, and hope she mends quickly.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it is definitely a torn cruciate ligament. She goes in Wednesday for surgery and comes home Thursday. For some reason, I feel comfortable with this diagnosis as we went through this same thing last year. But, as with anytime our loved ones are put under, I am still concerned. I'll keep everyone posted on her progress.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The vet just called. Maggie is awake, standing up and wanting to be fed. They said the surgery went very well. They also said she is quite the trooper. Thanks everyone for the positive thoughts. We have a long two months ahead of us.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maggie came back home last night. She is obviously hurting, but she has a great prognosis. She kept me up most of the night grunting and moaning. But, to my amazement it stopped once I removed the cone from her head. She hates that thing. But, we can't have an infection like we did last time. My problem now is keeping Molly away from her leg. She was trying to check out the incision last night. She also thought that by sitting on Maggie's head this morning, she was comforting her. Then, she went and leaned on the bad leg. Maggie just layed there. I was amazed. If it were me, I probably would have come out of my skin.

Two weeks until staple removal and three weeks until whirlpool therapy. I hope it all goes quicker this time.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everyone's positive thoughts are working. The staples are out and Maggie is trying to use her leg. She is fighting us on lifting her down the back steps. Monday, she starts lazer and whirlpool therapy. We took the cone off after the staples came out, but in one day, she licked a raw spot on her leg and licked her incision raw. It must itch. So, the cone went back on and after one day, all looks good again. They are going to check the raw spot on Monday because it looks like a little fluid might be in there. But, she is wagging her tail and asking to go out, which is a big improvement. Being a very sensitive dog, it takes her awhile to bounce back, but she is coming around. Yesterday, she rolled over and wanted her tummy scratched. It's all uphill from here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts