Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for those of you with older beagles. How much daily exercise do they need, and how active were they as younger dogs?

My little Gage has calmed down a lot(he's 1 year old), but still needs to run for at least an hour per day, or he'll drive you crazy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I just wonder if it's once active, always active, barring illness/joint pain etc. or if he'll one day be the sterotypical beagle that only wants to sleep and eat. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6SK3ELb4qk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_k7LbbcJEc

Here's two 30 sec clips of him playing outside. Not the best quality, but kind of funny because you can almost see the wheels turning in his head as he stops and tries to figure out what to do next.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I bet the videos are adorable--I can't figure out how to find yours though!! As soon as one of the kids explains how to find videos on YouTube to their old techno-unsavvy mommy, I know I'll enjoy watching them.
Miss Shiloh has been fat and lazy for so long, it's hard to remember her any other way. But my brother in law came to visit us for Christmas and he hadn't seen Shiloh since she was very young. He was surprised at how much calmer she was than he remembered her!! Ithink around 2 your baby will start settling down!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Keller, I'm assuming this is you. Not many Beagles around named Gage. :biglaugh: Anyway, you've got the videos set as private so unless we register with Youtube and you invite us as a friend, we can't see the videos.

As for calming down. At just over 18 months, Jersey is starting to settle down now. She still gets a lot of exercise though. Today, she's been a nut. I think it's the change in weather here. Anyway, people keep telling me that it will still be another year or two before she really calms down. I'm waiting patiently for that day. :freak:

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Until that day comes, we will be wishing to see them run again. Until then, our 1 year old beagle just can not stop, I guess for a field beagle like Charlie, it drives him crazy in the house. Like Marlin, he is 11, lost all his energy, and I kind of miss the good old days.

Charlie mom

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oops, that should be taken care of, and hopefully you all can view it now.

Hi Jen. Yep, it's me and Gagey-monster again. My account lapsed, during the change over to put in your personal info so I had to re-register. So, we're K and G now.

That sure is true CharlieMom. It's definitely best to look at the bright side, and enjoy their energy while it lasts. I already find myself missing the days when he was a tiny little puppy, even though the fun times were mixed with lots of stress.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I see the video now, how cute, what a long leash!
Do you have dog park in your area, that way you can let him run free, but beware, like Charlie, he would not come back to you when it is time to go. :animal18: I spent 1/2 an hour waiting for the right moment to leash him back on. Just too many dogs to chase and bark at to his heart content. Usually I won't let him bark so much in the house, as you know, we won't have any peace.

Charlie mom

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Great videos!

Well My 11/13 Year Old beagle has not slowed down yet! A good romp, a race around the dog park, or just patroling is backyard or hours worth of sniffing in the desert doesn't seem to slow him down at all. He was between 3 and 5 when I rescued him and from the beginning he has always slept when I sleep and except for naps when we are driving somewhere, seldom rest when there is something to do!

Great videos!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I enjoyed the videos. Both of our last beagles (both reached 14 years) were active until the day they died. Bilbo, the fist beagle couldnt walk uphill at the end, but still chased the postman.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting to hear about so many beagles still going strong in their senior years. So I'm looking at him calming down in about a year, or never, huh? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Quote:Originally posted by Charlie mom:
I see the video now, how cute, what a long leash!
Do you have dog park in your area, that way you can let him run free
Haha, it's a tie out line, we use as a leash since we don't have a fence right now. Actually, sometimes we connect two of them together to give him more room to run. Unfortunately we don't have a dog park around here. I know Gage'd love it since he loves dogs and LOVES running. I do know it would be hard to get him back since he can crouch down low and run like a little greyhound when playing chase!

Glad you all enjoyed the videos. Those of you with calmer dogs can imagine that one minute clip by 60 to get an idea of what it's like :hi:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Well I have to say Sammy will be 10 years old on Friday and can still race around with the 3 younger dogs in the house. With the beagle I don't think they ever rally slow down completely.

Gage sure looks like he is enjoying the snow !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts