Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been blessed with a relatively quite beagle - even our obedience instructor commented on it. There were some beagles baying at the dogpark this weekend and I jokingly asked the owners to make them stop since I didn't want them to teach my guy...9 months and no bays yet. Is this something we have to look forward to in the next couple of months - or could we possibly be exempt??

·
Registered
140 Posts
Oh, good question! I have been wondering as well.
My Beanie is still very young (about 13 weeks).
She barked her first 'real' bark the other day, and it was just music to my ears.
It made me wonder when she would start baying.
Hopefully, my neighbors will find it musical too! :p

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe's first bay (that's I know) was at home, around 6 months of age, when the alarm went off and she freaked. After that, whenever there's a loud noise that catches her by surprise, a dog across the street that won't give her the time of day, or a passerby that she's suspicious of.... forget it - the entire neighborhood knows we're outside!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Both Java and Lilo do not bay--on their own. I can coax Java into doing it if I aroo myself. I read somewhere that Beagles LOVE to join in on Arooos if they hear it. The only time I've heard Lilo aroo is when she spots something under my couch and cannot get to it.

It's definitely cute to beagle owners, but I'm sure there are people out there that do not feel the same.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Coco didn't start baying until he was about 7 or 8 months. I use to take him to the park alot and there were always beagles baying. He would look at them with a puzzled expression. One day, I got home and I took him out back before bed time and he just let out a big Arrooooo when he saw a possum and since then he's been doing it. I figured he just pick it from the other dogs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
When we got Ben he was 8 months old and pretty quiet for the most part.

Then one day he just found his voice! It was soon after we got him so he was under a year old.

This spring I have noticed that he is particularily vocal when he is out on his security duty in the backyard. He certainly is very good at telling off any birds, squirrels and rabbits that dare to enter our backyard.

He baying doesn't really bother me too much. My BF does not like it so early in the morning and I am sure the neighbours are not too happy either.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Spock howled once - once! - at a passing train at age 3 months, when we first got him. Other than that, he is quiet, with occasional barking at noisy, mobile household tools and his sister when they're playing. Bones is and always has been a howler, ever since she came to live with us at age 5 months. She's very chatty in the house, and when someone's walking by the back yard fence (we live on a corner where the alley behind our house also runs beside it), especially with a dog (and oh dear, sometimes someone's walking a beagle on the other side), there is no stopping her bugling.

·
Registered
786 Posts
My two didn't start until they were about a year old. And even now that they are almost 3 they don't bay that much. Maggie actually sounds like she has a soar throat when she bays and would rather bark, but Jasmine bays all the time instead of barking. The first time I noticed them baying was when there was something (a fox) under our shed and she was trying to let someone know she found something..... She would bay, stop and look and bay again until we came out to investigate....

·
Registered
865 Posts
My two were 8 months and 1 year when I got them and both could already bay. Toby bays once and then just barks. Lucky is my bayer. He will go on and on and on!

·
Registered
472 Posts
My 2 do it when I leave and no one else is here. Sometimes I am not even in the car yet and I hear them start up so I come back in and they are sitting face to face baying, I like to hear it but it can get very loud. Gunnar has never done it on his own but my husband says sometimes on the weekends when I run out Daisy will be in the living room and then just start baying until they talk to her and then she stops.That's the only time they do it though. For having 2 beagles it's actually a very rare sound around here, we get more arooo's than bays.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Roscoe will be 2 years old in May and I can honestly say he hardly ever bays. I love the howl of a hound, I know many find it annoying. Roscoe is a barker though and that is a lot harder on my ears than the baying!
Cole and Gino however are quite good at baying and it actually cracks me up every time! They chase each other around the house howling and howling and howling. If some creature (animal or human) is in the yard, they howl. Roscoe barks, and barks, and barks....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Snoopy will be five in October. She only bays on a very rare occasion (she has to be VERY excited). I tried to get her to bay on command--no go. She just prefers not to. She is very quiet. I miss it because a beagle bay is music to my ears. I am sure my neighbors feel differently.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My beagle, Chloe is 3 she only bays while running and playing. I am glad of that. She barks enough and baying would really annoy the neighbors. They already have complained about the barking.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We adopted Li'l Girl when she was a year to 18 months old. Believe it, or not, she didn't bay until about this time last year.
She was 9 years old by then. Her hound voice is beautiful, but she still doesn't bay very much.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Neither Popcorn (4) nor Buzz (2ish) have bayed yet. Buzz has only barked twice in the time we've had him. Hearing Li'l Girl didn't bay until 9 gives me some hope... but it isn't like we are bay-less since Booker and Moose both bay enough for several beagles!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Well, I was all set to say that Daisy has bayed maybe twice in her life but she corrected me today! She went to doggy daycare, and when I went to pick her up there was my girl baying her heart out playing. It was music to my ears!

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
well my beagle is particularly loud but he did howl/bay for the first time when he was 6 weeks, we took him up to the mountains in new hampsire to go camping and there was a pack hunting beagles in a pick up truck and we stopped to chat with the hunter and he went right up to the older dogs and began howling WITH them. it was adorable. Generally he only bays when he's been scolded, he'll throw himself upside down and howl lol

·
Registered
366 Posts
Winston is almost 10 months and has bayed a couple of times. (He rarely barks)
The few times he has bayed was sort of out of the blue, and we figgered it was because he needed to raise his pathetic puppy look up a notch.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't know exactly when Squeegee started baying but it was probably around 4 months or so. He isn't too vocal but you definitely hear it at least once a day. Chamois is 6 months old and has been howling since the day we got her. I'm not sure what she's mixed with but her howl/bay is much deeper and tougher sounding than Squeegee's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts