Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've been off for a while...dial-up does that to you.

Just wanted to let you know I'm going to make an appointment-for today, if possible- to get Menolly spayed...at almost 11 months old.

I know, I know, it's late...beleive me, if I'd had a choice, I would have gotten her spayed months ago.

I just wanted to say I've been really struggling with why I got a dog. Don't get me wrong, I adore this animal almost beyond reason and nothing on Heaven or Earth could make me give her up, but I feel guilty. My family has really been struggling financially and I can't help them...because of my dog.

Is this right? Am I stupid to keep a dog when my own family is trying to keep food on the table?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Is having Mennolly really taking that much from your family? I know the spay part is expensive. I can't remember where you got her. If she came from a rescue, maybe they can help with the cost.
I volunteer with a rescue and we are seeing a number of people needing to place their beagles due to the economy. Its usually a change in housing and they can't take the beagle with them.
Does your family resent the money you spend on Mennolly and would they want you to give her up to help them?
You are in a tough situation. I don't have any great advice to offer you other than to look beyond the emotion of the guilt and try to analyze if Mennolly is really placing a burden on your family and if she is what solutions are available to you.
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Personally I feel dog ownership is like having a child. There's a lot of responsibility that goes along with it. There were many times when I was younger I would of liked a dog. But I lived in apartments, worked long hours and traveled with my jobs. So it never made sense, which is why I had a cat instead. It wasn't until I got married, owned a home and had a locally based business that didn't require travel before we decided to get a dog.

In your situation, you already have the dog. And I completely understand how difficult it must feel to love Menolly as much as you do but also feel the pressures of dog ownership. Perhaps you can find a friend or relative that would be willing to take her off your hands for a while. Give you an opportunity to get back on your feet and in a position to better care for her yourself. If that's not an option then you have a much harder dilemma to contend with. What's best for you and your family and the sacrifices you'll have to make. If you did have to find her another home there are lots of pet rescues, even beagle ones, you can contact. The nice thing with those is you know she'll go to a good home. Most of the rescue owners I've met are hard-core dog lovers and will put any potential owner through the ringer.

I hope I'm not out of line saying all of this. I know dogs can be expensive. As for the neutering, I say table it for now or look around for a good deal. We paid a lot to have our vet do it. But I've seen fliers for specials by non-profit clinics, clubs and organizations that have specials. Also, we just switched to Kirkland dog food which you can get at Costco. It was around $23 for a 40 lb. bag and it's a good quality dog food.

Good luck and keep us posted how things go.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with some of the previous writers. If Menolly was a child, would you give her up? Well, in essence she is a child. You adopted her. Yes dogs cost money, so do kids, but does your family know what this dog means to you. If they don't, you might want to tell them what you are thinking of doing...or if they do know what she means to you, then they will not want you to give her up. I agree we are seeing more dogs being left at shelters because of the economy, we are seeing more kids left at the Fire Departments in this country because of the economy...but don't let that be your excuse or reason. Menolly is not taking food out of your family's mouths is she?
She is not taking heat or the roof over their heads away is she?
Then keep her. THAT should be the last resort before the sherriff comes and takes away everything you have. I think people are hurting and are looking for any way to help the situation out...but giving up your kids or kids is not the answer.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think that from what Carrie wrote, she is not planning on getting rid of Menolly, just struggling with the question of keeping a dog in these difficult times.
Hang in there Carrie, I'm sure that in a little while everything will start to improve and things will be easier.

Spaying her is important both for her and for you (I doubt that taking care of a litter is cheaper). The humane societies and different rescues help with the financial parts, maybe that's the way you should go.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Originally Posted By: cobismomI think people are hurting and are looking for any way to help the situation out...but giving up your kids or kids is not the answer.
i tried to get rid of my actual kids but i couldn't find anybody who wanted them. i even tried to sell them to some egyptian slave traders but they didn't want them either. i told my wife, the last time we moved, giving them the new address was a bad idea

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Carrie, I can understand how you feel. But Menolly is a part of your family. Don't feel guilty about having her. How much does she really cost you? I know that Jersey's day to day expenses are minimal. Dog food isn't that expensive, even purchasing a higher quality product. I spend less than $30 a month on it, plus about another $15 on heartworm protection. Many organizations offer assistance in spaying and neutering your pets. I know that our County offers a rebate to pet owners when they get their animal fixed. Resources are out there, you just have to look around to find them. JudyMaggie posted some places that offer aid to pet owners to help pay for medical expenses. You may want to check out those links. They are in the Health & Welfare section up towards the top. Hang in there!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hang in there, menolly is yours and I'm sure nobody wants to take her from you.Look into cheap pet food and the advice given to you from the others. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm so sorry you're feeling guilty about not being able to help your family. Here's how I see it, dogs aren't that expensive to keep (barring any medical issues) and you can wait on her spay, don't feel guilty about that. We can't neuter Duke until after 2 years, because of the toxins he ingested as a pup (just to be safe with his kidneys and liver). As long as you make sure there is no chance of pups, then hold off until you're in a better position to have her spayed.

The economy is tight for a lot of people right now. We are all cutting back and cutting out things that make us happy. Many of the things everyone is giving up are necessary choices for survival. But somewhere, somehow, you have to find your happiness in this world. Don't let the guilt and worry make you unhappy about the ONE thing that really does make you happy right now. Take the happiness you can get wherever you can get it. I don't think you need to feel guilty for the small amount a month Menolly costs and I think for that small investment, you won't find anything else that will bring you nearly as much enjoyment. Take care and I hope things start looking up for you and your family soon.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eleanor is right- I'm not thinking about getting rid of Menolly at all. I only mentioned it because I was worried I wasn't being fair to her. I couldn't do it anyway. Being dogless for two years literally almost killed me.

My family knows quite well how much I love Menolly- they love her, too. They haven't complained about the expenses at all. My Mom told me when I talked to her this morning there was no way I could know we were going to be hurting this much, so I wasn't wrong to get her.

As far as the spay goes, when I licensed her I got a voucher from the city that pays for everything except the take-home meds...the cost of which was keeping me from spaying her. As far as that goes she has an appointment on Tuesday and the money is accounted for. I didn't want to wait any longer for it because of the humping and the male dogs who were getting WAY too interested in her.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Menolly sends a great big arooo to everyone, and lots of kisses. I've got a few recent pics of her, but I'm not sure when I can upload them.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Carrie, I did some research and it seems that California has the same law as Florida regarding prescriptions for animals. If the drug is something that can be filled at a regular pharmacy (usually cheaper than getting meds from a vet), then upon your request, the veterinarian should write you a prescription to fill it at the pharmacy of your choice. If the drugs are pain killers and antibiotics that have a human equivalent, this could save you a lot of money. Do some more research and see if this is an option. Pharmacy's at Wal-Mart and Target do $4 generic prescriptions. Here is a link to the article I found about California's law on this. Good luck!

CVMA Website

·
Registered
889 Posts
I agree with many here and especially with your mother. You had no idea at the time you got Menolly that your family would fall on hard times. And as everyone has said, overall the monthly cost of a healthy pup isn't too bad. What do you think it will cost you to have her spayed, etc.?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like I said, the spay itself(surgery and anesthesia) is paid for by the voucher I got when I paid Menolly's license fees (which were $26). The take-home meds are $35. Not working for over a month meant I was broke after buying Menolly's food. As for other things like shots, her yearlys can be done a a low-cost clinic at the vet's; the combo for $10 and the Rabies for $5. Thankfully she doesn't need those again until August. With her food costing $18 a month, and the annual vet visit($40), it comes to a little over $300 a year, not counting treats and toys. Not bad considering rents are more than twice that per <span style="font-style: italic">month</span>.
The first year is always hard because of the initial cost, the supplies, and the spay/neuter.

Thank you Jen, I'll look into that. I didn't know you could get pet prescriptions filled elsewhere.

·
Registered
889 Posts
That's really good that the surgery is covered. It sounds like you've been very efficient in trying to save money and still do what's good for Menolly.
Good job!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts