Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elizabeth is new to housetraining. She's done pretty well and only has accidents when we aren't paying attention. Anyhoo... The first night I brought her home, she wriggled around on the bed and pawed at the covers. I thought, "How cute. She's making a nest." Then she proceded to pee in the bed! I stopped her in mid-pee and put her outside. No more problems forthe next few weeks. A few nights ago, she peed in my son's bed, right a bedtime andright after being outside. I caught her getting ready to do it again last night. Tonight, I had just turned out the lights when I heard her scratching at the comforter. Yep, she did it again. I thought about crating her at night, but she freaks out in the crate and busted right through the bars last week. Why is she doing this???

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
This something that Susi occasionally does. Either on the bed, the lounge carpet or in her basket. The latter usally happens in her sleep so that is excusable- nasty dreams of her prison days. The accidents on the bed are usually when she is mixed up. Susi did this when we got back from holiday (we had been away with the hounds in our camper van) and we took it she was still upset at all the travelling. It only happened for a day or so. The carpet incident happened a week ago after quite a long time of being good. Susi looked very guilty and fled outside.
Has Elizabeth had her routine altered recently? Has anything happened that might have upset her.
With a bit of luck she will stop soon as one thing dogs hate is soiling their bed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
We had the same problem with Luce!! She peed on our bed, on the sofa.. Looking us straight in the eyes, as to say "I'm the alpha here, this is mine".. We always thought it was a dominance issue, and we tried to act more alpha in order to subdue her. And she did stop doing it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mine do it occasionally too. One thing that seems to help is for them to be calm or asleep when we put them in bed with us. We put them in their crate and let them get calm, or they are asleep on the couch when we get in bed. Seems if they are excited or have been 'rowdy, even though they have just peed, it can happen. But, of course, our lives are nothing but routine, we are always on the go and the dogs go with us. Good luck, try getting your baby "calm" before you put him in bed with you.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey has done this to me a few times. She usually does it on the blanket we keep for her on the sofa, but has twice done it on the bed. Like you, I thought she looked so cute making a little nest for herself...I was mortified the first time I saw her start to pee. I've been told it's them just marking their territory. I don't know for sure, but it sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great responses! It is true that Elizabeth's bedwetting occurs when she is in an excited state and is not at all sleepy. I will try to make sure she is calm and ready for bed. Also, Raider typically prefers to sleep on the porch. It's been so cold over the past week that we've locked the doggie door to keep him indoors at night. It is possible that Elizabeth feels that he is invading her territory.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yesterday night Milla did it too.. :rolleyes: I couldn't help but laugh. However, access to our bed will be now forbidden to her until she understands it's not her urinal /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif She's a bit disappointed now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sally and Leia are very good when they are blocked from entering the house. They are allowed in the laundry and have access to outside during the day and night. If they are in the laundry, they go outside to do their business. If they are in the house, they will go anywhere. They are only 11 weeks old today, so I'm hoping we can kerb their toileting issues as they get older.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts