Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beagle Sydney is 14 months, 13 inches and my other beagle shasta is 12 months, 12 inches! Sometimes we think they look fat and sometimes not, we were feeding them 2 cups of food a day and they started looking fat so we reduced it to 1 1/2 cups a day.
What is the weight they should be????
Sydney has muscle, but Shasta really doesn't!!
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think it depends on the size of your dog. Caesar is a 13" beagle, 13 months old, and weighs 13.3kg (29lbs). He is a very solid dog, I don't think he's fatty, I can still feel his ribs. But the vet told me that because he has loose knee caps and lower back pain he needs to shed some weight. Others here might be of more help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Suzy is 3 years old and 13 inches as well and weighs a hefty 35 lbs. The vet said she should lose 5 to 8 pounds for her to be at her ideal weight. We also feed her 2 cups a day but it depends on how active they are. Suzy sleeps most of the day, she goes from the couch to the floor, outside then back on the couch. We now have to go from walking suzy once a day to twice or maybe three times. Dont know if that helps, but thought id share. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our two weigh about 13 kilos each. They get a small can of food a day (each can is 400 grams) each spread between two meals. Sometimes we mix a handful of dried flakes in but when they start putting on too much weight, then we cut the dried food out. They also get several treats a day.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby is a 15" and weighs 32lbs. Vet said she should weight about 27. I don't think she looks "fat" but the vet said she's starting to lose her girlish figure :lol2:

Abby is a very picky eater so the vet thinks the weight is coming from the cat food she likes to eat when she can sneak it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Li'l Girl is about 14", and at the last vet visit weighed about 25 lbs. I think she's beginning to look a little pudgy even though her ribs can still be felt easily enough.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It really does depend on the dog. If they're standing, and you look down on them, their back should be hourglass shaped. You should see definite indentations at their waist. You should be able to feel the ribs without pressing.

Gage is one year old, 13 in. and 25 pounds.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie is 15 inches and 32 pounds. At the last vet visit she was 33.4 pounds. The vet said the was the maximum weight for her height and build. She gets half a cup of food twice a day. In the morning she gets half a cup of green beans with her food, in the evening she gets pumpkin with her food or sometimes a bite or two of chicken shredded on top. I switched to a grain free diet about 6 weeks ago. In that time she has lost 1.4 pounds. Its not a lot but every little bit helps and she doesn't act starving all day.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Oliver is 15" at 33 lbs. Very solid.
Vet said he is very healthy, to keep up what we're doing.
I think its hard to say a breed should be 22-27 lbs. It doesn't factor in specific things.

Similar to a BMI calculator for humans where you plug in your age, weight, and height and it'll tell you if you're considered overweight or not. But it doesn't factor in that muscle weighs more than fat, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I'm not sure what Sadie and Pooh are as far as 13, 14 or 15 inches. I need to measure them I guess. They are not the real small size though. Sadie our girl weighs about 34 pounds now and Pooh Bear around 38. The vet is happy with Sadie's weight, she wants Pooh to get down to 35 pounds. They were thinner when they were younger. They are now 7 years old.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Suzys mumma:
Suzy sleeps most of the day, she goes from the couch to the floor, outside then back on the couch.
Isn't this the standard routine for most beagles??? Hehehehe :lol2:

Well my Fin is a 15' and he weighs 27 pounds. He's very lean but he has muscle too. The vet said he was a good weight so I'm rolling with that. I would say if your beagle starts resembling a large submarine, then it might be time to cut back on the food...

Oh and in my family, we never say overweight or fat, we use BIG-BONED!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts