Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so here's the deal. We picked Maggie up from the breeder last Saturday. The breeder mentioned nothing about her being sick, but about 15 minutes into the ride home, she started coughing and her nose started running. We got her home, and the coughing continued into the night and the following day. She was also lethargic, but I wasn't sure how much of the lethergy was anxiety and nervousness from being seperated from her Mother and siblings.

We watched her all day Sunday, and the coughing seemed to be getting worse, so we took her to the vet on Monday. She was diagnosed with kennel cough, given an antibiotic shot, and prescribed antibiotics and a cough syrup. The bill came to $89.00.

She seemed to be doing better on Tuesday and Wednesday...was eating well, running around, and acting all kinds of puppy crazy. Then on Thursday afternoon she started in with diarrhea. Friday, she continued with the diarrhea, slept a lot more than she had the previous days, and ate only once in the morning...complete loss of appetite.

Yesterday (Saturday) the diarrhea got worse, she started throwing up, refused to eat the entire day, and became very lethargic. This morning was even worse, and I could see that she was becoming dehydrated, so I called an Emergency Vet and took her in this afternoon.

He ran a viral test for Parvo and Distemper, which fortunately came out negative. His diagnosis was dehydration, secondary to a gastrointestinal bacterial type of infection from the antibiotics. She also had lost 1 pound 2 ounces. He gave her a 50cc subcutaneous fluid bolus, prescribed a different antibiotic for the coughing, and gave her a prescription of Reglan and Metronidazole for the diarrhea and vomitting. This bill came to $279.00.

I called the breeder this afternon to ask if Maggie had been sick prior to us picking her up last Saturday, and also if any of her other siblings have been sick. She told me that all of the pups had a cough the previous week, but that they all got over it within a couple of days.

I explained to her everything that transpired with Maggie from the time we picked her up, including the two trips to the vet. She seemed totally unconcerned, and basically told me that if we wouldn't have put her on the antibiotics, she probably would have gotten over the kennel cough on her own, and that today's trip to the vet wouldn't have been necessary.

Now here's my question. Since Maggie was sick the day we picked her up, and we had to take her to the vet a day and a half later, then again today, shouldn't the breeder be responsible for part, if not all of the vet bill? We paid $650 for her assuming we were getting a healthy puppy, which has totally not been the case. I'm thinking about mailing her a copy of both vet receipts and asking her to pay for half, but I don't know if that would be appropriate.

BTW...Maggie is doing a little better this evening. The fluid bolus seems to have perked her up a little, and the new medication has also helped with the vomitting. For the past couple of hours she has been able to keep water down...BIG sigh of relief!

She needs to be rechecked in two days, which will be a minimum of $65 for the office visit. So what do you all think...does the breeder have any responsibility with any of this or am I totally on my own? Either way, I will do whatever it takes to get her healthy, but it sure would be nice if the breeder would step up to the plate and help out.

·
Registered
509 Posts
oh poor little puppy! hope she is feeling better soon!!

That breeder should have told you and I reckon they should pay for the bill too. but thats just me.

xK

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That is just terrible. Poor little girl.

I would send them ALL the bills, and demand they pay for them. Also mention you are considering notifying the local animal control officer and the Humane Society.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
It depends on the law in your state. Every state has different laws regarding the sale of puppies. It also depends on the contract you signed. When I got Maggie she had Giardia and in reading the "fine print" on my contract it says that Giardia and Coccidia are common in pups and they would not reimburse for treatment.
My friend adopted a pup through petfinder from a "rescue" in another state. When the pup arrived, he was covered in ticks and ill with coccidia. The contract had a clause allowing her to return the dog at her own expense but she couldn't put the poor thing back on the plane. Our vet says the puppy is a puppy mill dog and not a rescue. My friend wanted to file a complaint with petfinder but was afraid to because her contract contained a clause about them taking her puppy back if they felt the home was not a good one. I think that a responsible breeder would pay your bills, but unfortunately there are too many who don't care about their puppies. I will be interested in Glenda's response to this question. She does some breeding but cares very much for her pups. She will probably have some advice for you.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
First, I hope that Maggie feels better by now.
Secondly, I'm not sure about the liability of the breeder, but usually it's settled in the contract.
I personally think that the breeder should take at least part of the responsibility for her health issues.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Maggie -- I am so glad that she is on the road to recovery! I agree with Joe -- send the breeder the bills (no matter what it says in the contract) along with a letter and also report them. Even if the breeder doesn't "step up to the plate", you will feel better having done what you can to make certain that no one else is put in your situation and that the other beagle pups are not mis-treated.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I would definitely say that the breeder is responsible since they knew that she had a cought before hand. The breeder that I got Daisy from said that if something happened within the first 2 weeks of having Daisy that she would either take her back or completely reimburse us for expenses should something liket hat happen.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'd certainly try getting the breeder to pay at least part of the vet bills. Also, if there's somewhere to report her, I'd do that. I've only had one beagle that I bought from a breeder, and that person called me a few months after we'd bought the puppy to be sure that everything was okay, and that we weren't going to give the puppy up. That gave the fellow a lot of stature in our eyes.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I would definitely report her to someone. I don't know who, but I'm sure there must be some place that deals with these types of issues. And I would definitely try to get her to pay at least half of those bills, even all of them. She sold you a puppy that she knew was sick. That is completely and totally irresponsible on her part. Her first priority should be those puppies and making sure that they are kept healthy, along with their mother. Period.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your response. Maggie is doing MUCH better today, still coughing, but no more diarrhea or vomitting. She's eating and drinking well, and running around like crazy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Some of you talked about a contract. Well...we never signed any type of contract when we bought her, the only thing we got was a receipt saying paid in full. The breeder we bought her from was not a backyard breeder, in fact, it's the same breeder we bought our first beagle from, and she came highly recommended. Go figure.

Anyway, I think I'll send her the vet bills and request that she pay half. It certainly can't hurt, right? I just hope this is an isolated incident...I'd hate to think that this type of thing is a regular occurance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts