Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chase is starting to get really clingy. He cries all the time if I'm sitting in front of him... He wants me to pick him up. (Like a baby) I don't hold him a lot at all I think it became this way because I've been leaving him behind to go run errands. Mind you he's still crapping the kennel and I have to bathe him almost everyday because he's full of feces.

Do I ignore his cries?

Anyone have crate advice? (for the crapping... he goes out before I leave and I'm never gone as long as an hour)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Diesel is starting to cry when i dont hold him now too... when i get ready in the morning especially... so now what i do is give him breakfast when i start to get ready and then when i bring him upstairs i put him on a leash and keep him close to me and when he starts crying i find a toy and give it to him while petting him and saying "good boy" this stops the crying for a little but then i have to find the toy again and keep doing the same thing...but he is getting better... but make sure to give yourself about an extra half hour in the morning... it has worked for me lately

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried giving him toys and everything it doesn't work. He whines for me to pick him up. If I don't pick him up he start being naughty. Like biting at my pants leg or my shoe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote: He cries all the time if I'm sitting in front of him... He wants me to pick him up. (Like a baby) I don't hold him a lot at all I think it became this way because I've been leaving him behind to go run errands.
I honestly don't think it's a matter of him being clingy. He IS a baby, and all he wants is your attention/affection. I hunt my Beagles and I can tell you they are happiest when in a pack situation, in the middle of other dogs and humans. Even when retired, my old huntin' dawgs (lol) will get this way. If they can't be part of the dog pack, they want nothing more than to be with their humans. Even when I raise a litter, I find that despite having half a dozen other pups to play with, each one is drawn to seek attention from me & the other people in my household. "Tapping" the owner to be held is a VERY beaglish thing. They are not an independant, aloof breed in the least.
I view this as constantly refusing to hold a baby when it cries. Pups need tactile stimulation just as much as a human child & if you deny them that, they will start to become less trusting of humans and unsocialized.
Picking up a puppy and showing it affection is not spoiling the animal.

As far as the soiling the crate goes, puppies do need to move their bowels and urinate more frequently than adult dogs. Pups under 3 months should not be expected to hold it for more than 2ish hours. If he was a pet store puppy or raised on wire by the breeder, a crate will likely not work as a housebreaking tool. What about leaving him in an ex pen with some wee wee pads in lieu of the crate when you're not there to supervise him?

Puppies are a great deal of work, especially Beagle pups. Regardless of age, he needs more exercize than he's getting, and more one on one attention. You mention you're leaving on errands, then when you return, you're not giving him the simplest form of attention that this pup is craving. It doesn't matter how long you're gone, what matters is that when you return you need to spend time giving him quality attention - or what is the point of having a pet puppy? I'm very sorry if I sound harsh, but in all your posts about this pup, you come across as resentful of him, his normal puppy accidents, normal puppy behavior, and even something as simple as him wanting a bit of love and attention from you. Please be honest with yourself, and if this is not the right time for a pup to be in your life, do the right thing by him and find him a home with a family who has the time for him.

·
Registered
509 Posts
gosh I wish Glover would let me pick him up and actually cuddle!

if I hold him he just tries to nip, not in agressive way, he just cant stay still..!

Glover doesn't do anything in his crate, he hardly ever sleeps in there except nights.. lol.

xx
K

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by HoundMusic:
Quote: He cries all the time if I'm sitting in front of him... He wants me to pick him up. (Like a baby) I don't hold him a lot at all I think it became this way because I've been leaving him behind to go run errands.
I honestly don't think it's a matter of him being clingy. He IS a baby, and all he wants is your attention/affection. I hunt my Beagles and I can tell you they are happiest when in a pack situation, in the middle of other dogs and humans. Even when retired, my old huntin' dawgs (lol) will get this way. If they can't be part of the dog pack, they want nothing more than to be with their humans. Even when I raise a litter, I find that despite having half a dozen other pups to play with, each one is drawn to seek attention from me & the other people in my household. "Tapping" the owner to be held is a VERY beaglish thing. They are not an independant, aloof breed in the least.
I view this as constantly refusing to hold a baby when it cries. Pups need tactile stimulation just as much as a human child & if you deny them that, they will start to become less trusting of humans and unsocialized.

As far as the soiling the crate goes, puppies do need to move their bowels and urinate more frequently than adult dogs. Pups under 3 months should not be expected to hold it for more than 2ish hours. If he was a pet store puppy or raised on wire by the breeder, a crate will likely not work as a housebreaking tool. What about leaving him in an ex pen with some wee wee pads in lieu of the crate when you're not there to supervise him?

Puppies are a great deal of work, especially Beagle pups. Regardless of age, he needs more exercize than he's getting, and more one on one attention. You mention you're leaving on errands, then when you return, you're not giving him the simplest form of attention that this pup is craving. It doesn't matter how long you're gone, what matters is that when you return you need to spend time giving him quality attention - or what is the point of having a pet puppy? I'm very sorry if I sound harsh, but in all your posts about this pup, you come across as resentful of him, his normal puppy accidents, normal puppy behavior, and even something as simple as him wanting a bit of love and attention from you. Please be honest with yourself, and if this is not the right time for a pup to be in your life, do the right thing by him and find him a home with a family who has the time for him.
I so agree with you,
I have been reading all these posts about puppies that are not housetrained in two days,will not sleep all night and have the audacity to chew things and wonder why on earth the owners ever bought a pup in the first place. :angryfire:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:Originally posted by HoundMusic:

Wow are you serious? :rotflmao:

My pup is very much so loved and he gets tons of love and affection. If you have such problems with my "questions" then how about you do us both a favor and not respond to my post. Thanks ever so greatly!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
HoundMusic has a great deal of experience with beagles and I think they gave you excellent information and advice which was exactly what you asked for.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He may have his good advice but to bash someone and tell them they should give up their pet? That's not so friendly. There's a better aproach. I never owned a beagle but I have raised and trained many other breeds. I simply asked a question a simple answer was to be given. Not everyone knows everything... I have trained tons of animals and I still have a lot to learn. In my day of training I NEVER crate trained any of my dogs. So this is very new to me... Sorry if my questions and curiousity is suppose to be "resentful" to my pup. :eyes:

Our Chase is not just a pup he is a family member, we give him all of our love and attention. He gets plenty of exercise and so on. If bashing the pet owner is good advice then wow this is very new to me.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hi,

I think I already responded to one of your previous posts. From what you are describing about leaving Chase for an hour and coming back to a dirty crate, and him whining when you are around wanting you to pick him up, I kinda get the feeling of separation anxiety.
Chloe did that once when I kept her closed in the bathroom (wanted just a little more space than the crate is offering) and after 1.5 hours the whole bathroom was "poop brown" and stank like I can't even describe. She was partly housebroken then. I never left her confined anymore. She is occasionally leaving me a little present in the form of a puddle when I come home, but that's because she can't hold it for more than 10 hours (when I'm not there, I guess that's a form of separation anxiety, and she is only 9 months). When I'm with her at home she holds it for over 16 hours sometime, strange....
I'm sorry, but I don't have any advice to give you apart from trying to consult with a behaviorist/trainer, as there is a chance to treat his separation anxiety by training while he is still a young puppy.

BTW - don't take HoundMusic's posts as negative or scolding in anyway, he is just trying to help and offer another perspective. We are all here to help, not criticize... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:Originally posted by Chloe's Mommy:
Hi,

I think I already responded to one of your previous posts. From what you are describing about leaving Chase for an hour and coming back to a dirty crate, and him whining when you are around wanting you to pick him up, I kinda get the feeling of separation anxiety.
Chloe did that once when I kept her closed in the bathroom (wanted just a little more space than the crate is offering) and after 1.5 hours the whole bathroom was "poop brown" and stank like I can't even describe. She was partly housebroken then. I never left her confined anymore. She is occasionally leaving me a little present in the form of a puddle when I come home, but that's because she can't hold it for more than 10 hours (when I'm not there, I guess that's a form of separation anxiety, and she is only 9 months). When I'm with her at home she holds it for over 16 hours sometime, strange....
I'm sorry, but I don't have any advice to give you apart from trying to consult with a behaviorist/trainer, as there is a chance to treat his separation anxiety by training while he is still a young puppy.

BTW - don't take HoundMusic's posts as negative or scolding in anyway, he is just trying to help and offer another perspective. We are all here to help, not criticize... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Thank you. I think that's what we're going to do. His next vet visit I'll ask about it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:Originally posted by GloverCharlie:
gosh I wish Glover would let me pick him up and actually cuddle!

if I hold him he just tries to nip, not in agressive way, he just cant stay still..!

Glover doesn't do anything in his crate, he hardly ever sleeps in there except nights.. lol.

xx
K
Yea Chase likes for me to pick him up and he likes to nibble on my arms or just curl up in my lap and fall asleep. He loves his crate as long as it's not closed/locked.

·
Registered
751 Posts
please do not take Hound's post to heart, it was a bit direct yes, but well meant I am sure. But i agree. Lately there are a lot of people that seem to be complaining about puppies house training when they are so very young. Maybe this is not your case, but one I think was 7 or 8 weeks old. My gosh, what is expected of our babies. No doubt you love him, don't take people wrong, and we are here to help.

I think Hound was just trying to help gain some perspective in what to expect.

Anyway, I think it's a bit young for sep. anx. He is a pack animal and you are his mommy, probably because he feels so much love from you that you show him, he wants to be near you alot. Keep at it. Do not coddle him and re-enforce his emotion. I know, because I did this and still do sometimes with Marley who is 7 months old, and it makes it worse.

Trying to keep track of the new pups here, how old is yours again?
For going in the crate, how long is he crated?
Do you have a divider in there?

·
Registered
751 Posts
and just to clarify, I said do not coddle, not cuddle. Cuddling is good, but to coddle him on enforces the emotion.

Meaning to say it's okay baby, etc.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I loved watching Chase's Dogster video! Here's something you may want to try regarding potty breaks. The next time he makes a "good potty" (outside) make a big deal about it, giving him tons of positive reinforcement. Do the same after a "dry spell" in his crate. I housebroke Ginger, then a four-year-old beagle this way and she picked it up very quickly. The most important thing is have patience, as your baby beagle is going to be all grown up before you know it!

:heart:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
threedognight:
I'm glad you enjoyed his video lol he's a little stinker. I will try what you said. Because now when I bring him out he doesn't do anything and he still wants his treat lol. Like "Okay I'm outside now give me my treat mommy."

Marley's Mommy:
Thanks for the advice. He's almost 9 weeks. I am not expecting him pick up no sort of training in a day or 2 time span nor am I rushing his development. Just asking for future training like I mentioned before I have never crate trained any of my animals EVER. He's my first one... I have a medium sized crate there's no divider. He's in it all night long with the door open. He naps in it during the day. I never lock him in unless I'm leaving and this is never long (not even an hour).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know I was watching awhile ago when my su was still alive, the dog whisperer guy, anyhow he did mention, In the morning greet and say good morning type thing to your animals, I had done this before I saw what he said, and each morning I would go in the kitchen as my dog and cat would follow me for something I would bend down give each a hello and a little rub, that suited them fine, and that was enough for them, I have done now the same to Charlie greeting in the kitchen and he loves it. :)and off they go to there merry little ways

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:Originally posted by BeagleWeegle:
You know I was watching awhile ago when my su was still alive, the dog whisperer guy, anyhow he did mention, In the morning greet and say good morning type thing to your animals, I had done this before I saw what he said, and each morning I would go in the kitchen as my dog and cat would follow me for something I would bend down give each a hello and a little rub, that suited them fine, and that was enough for them, I have done now the same to Charlie greeting in the kitchen and he loves it. :)and off they go to there merry little ways
I talk to my dogs all the time lol good morning good night and Lord knows what else. He loves watching tv with me, I swear he be watching it lol

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeh makes you wonder about the animal world.

wish we could read the minds of our furry little ones:)

Don't mean to highjack the thread (something unrealated)but I thought I would add this, I came across this and they say Beagle go nuts for it when playing it. Beagles when they are hunting, barking wave.
http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/Barking.wav

·
Registered
751 Posts
if you have a medium sized crate and no divider that's why he's going in it. They will go where ever they are when they have to go at that age until they learn differently. Or will go where they feel comforable, as long as they can "leave" it there. HOWEVER, they will NOT (normally) go where they haev to sit or sleep. So, get a divider or make something to be one (board, etc). GIve him just enough room to turn around in the crate when you leave him. Just enough to turn around and curl up/lay down. He will not poop where he has to step in it or lay. And will do his best to not pee either. If you don't leave him long, by the time you come back it shoud still be clean.

good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts