Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some yummy, good-for-beagles treat ideas.

JoJo LOVES her kong stuffed with PB and little train me treats.

But we're looking for something super special to give her once in awhile.

THANKS!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought some liver training treats specifically to work on recall. He loves them.

In addition to some biscuits from Old Mother Hubbard he also gets - carrots, cheese (his favorite, I think!) hot dogs, pieces of deli meat.

I also give him rawhide (though never unattended). It's helpful if we have friends over and need him to entertain himself for a while.

His kong I'll load with plain yogurt and freeze or smear with cream cheese, sometimes honey or molasses.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
For training I find that Molly loves popcorn! She does the best stay ever if there is popcorn involved. I also give her baby carrots, celery, and she also has a purple kong-like toy with treat balls on each end. I put some puppy kibble in each end she will play with that thing til every piece of kibble comes out!

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
generally speaking mine doesn't like very many treats, he liked the pedigree bone marrow treats ALOT for about three months now he ignores them completely. he's never like milk bones, and only liked puparoni for a week, lets see pb he isn't a fan of, cream cheese sometimes in his kong.

The one thing that really really makes him go crazy is those strips of dried chick or dehydrated chicken, that stuff is like beagle crack, he freaks everytime he sees it. lol

Also he'll do anything for a cheerio lol

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Nutro steak treats and Nutro mini-bones are the staples, along with baby carrots. Special treats after going to the pet store and treats given to distract them when a lot of people come over: Greenies (I get the Large size).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Originally Posted By: Sephlygenerally speaking mine doesn't like very many treats, he liked the pedigree bone marrow treats ALOT for about three months now he ignores them completely. he's never like milk bones, and only liked puparoni for a week, lets see pb he isn't a fan of, cream cheese sometimes in his kong.

The one thing that really really makes him go crazy is those strips of dried chick or dehydrated chicken, that stuff is like beagle crack, he freaks everytime he sees it. lol

Also he'll do anything for a cheerio lol
Mine go coocoo for cheerios too. If I drop one, I see Charlie slip/run across the kitchen faster than an Olympic Sprinter. I mix in cheerios with their food from time to time. Like 5 or 6 O's and they are in beagle heaven.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Originally Posted By: Mollys MomFor training I find that Molly loves popcorn! She does the best stay ever if there is popcorn involved. I also give her baby carrots, celery, and she also has a purple kong-like toy with treat balls on each end. I put some puppy kibble in each end she will play with that thing til every piece of kibble comes out!
Oreo loves popcorn too!! As for store-bought treats, I buy Authority treats or Blue Buffalo treats. Once in a blue moon, I'll give him a rawhide.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We use two types of treats, low-value and high-value. For the low-value we use Bil Little Jac's or Pet Botanics Training Treats. Then for high-value treats we'll use left-overs like bacon, beef, pork, chicken, cheese, etc.

You can use whatever motivates your dog. My only suggestion is to not use hard treats because it takes longer for them to chew. The soft ones can be chewed quickly and we can move-on with our training.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
For her regular, every day treats, Jersey gets whatever home made variety I've made. Right now she's got pumpkin ones. I have been wanting to do more training with her so I recently bought some nice small training treats. They are made by a company called Zuke's. Zuke's treats They are small and chewy so they don't have to be chewed a lot. I also use Cheerio's for the same purpose. They were great for teaching her to catch.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Our two monsters get treats from a company called VitaLife. They have chicken pieces and various other treats. I like them because they have very few ingredients. For example the chicken chips are just chicken. They have sweet potatoes wrapped in duck, or banana pieces wrapped in chicken, all dried. They LOVE that stuff! You can get it at Petsmart. They also will get carrots, apples, etc... and honestly they love their food so much that sometimes I use pieces of it as treats. We've also used cheerios which they love as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wow, this thread has given me some great treat ideas!

Abby gets bored with treats (milkbone, etc) very quickly so we've started giving her little pieces of cheese. At this point it's just about the only thing we can give her to get her to go into her crate (she hates her crate, which is a whole other thread). Anyway, can cheese constipate a dog/puppy like it can a human? We'd hate to give her too much, but she loves it. The pieces we give are very small, so I'd say we don't give her any more than a whole slice of American cheese in 1 day.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
One of Murphy's favorites are Charlee Bears (liver flavor). It's what we've been using with sit, stay, shake, etc.

He also loves Cheerios and drives us nuts in the morning when we're having breakfast!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Totti would do anything for a piece of chicken!

We give him pieces of duck strips and chicken strips from the pet store- he's loved them from the moment he was introduced. Totti gave up on milkbones and all those other dog treats a long time ago. Good thing about that is he doesn't eat too many treats- in fact he won't really ask for a treat unless it's 2 in the morning and he comes back from going to the bathroom, so I'll take that as a blessing.

And he also loves honey bunches of oats- but only if they're soaked in milk. Picky, I know!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie gets popcorn and cheerios, mini zukes, robbie dawg biscuits and veggies. Occasionally if I really want her to do something she gets dehydrated liver or chicken. When we have chicken for dinner I cook a couple of extra pieces, dice in small bites and use that for treats.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Carrots!

Java and Lilo love their carrots. When I first decided to adopt a beagle, I promised myself to watch the high calorie treats because I knew that it be hard for me to resist giving a treat. I think I read on this forum a while back that carrots and other veggies are good for our beagles and it helps prevent unnecessary weight gain

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Roscoe in particular goes absolutely insane whenever we eat chicken. He knows we are making it before it even comes out of the package! So I have to set some aside and prepare it with nothing on it to give him some (of course the other guys get some too but they don't get as nuts as Roscoe does). I swear he loses his senses until he gets some....

Baby carrots are a biggie but for the most part they get the Old Mother Hubbard treats (assorted flavor and peanut butter flavor). They love them!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts