Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to feed the new baby...

Okay, will be finally getting the new baby this weekend. First decision is to select his food. I had been considering going with Canidae ALS, but with all the complaints and issues people have had with the new formula, I have decided against it. The ALS grain free may be an option, as it is not overly high in protein.

Which provides another issue altogether. It seems that few Beagle owners go the higher protein foods (Evo, Orijen, etc). I keep trying to do a search, but come up empty. Odd, as I know there are forums that mention Evo, Orijen, etc, yet I get no hits on a search.

I am wondering what everyone else feeds their babies. We have two cats who both are doing great on Evo, but it seems that many beagle owners are cautious on this forum. Is it just a general caution with the high protein foods? Is there more to it (added stress on kidneys coupled with a breed that occasionaly has kidney problems)?

I am leaning heavily towards Innova Puppy at this time, but may consider a switch down the road, and would like a second option in line as well. I guess my main question is..... why do so many on here seem (from what I can find) to avoid the grain free/ 6 star foods?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Re: What to feed the new baby...

You are leaning in the right direction with Innova (in my opinion), but I would recommend that you browse this health and welfare section, as there were many food related threads here lately, and you can find a lot of information in those threads.

I personally fed Evo to Chloe, but it seemed to worsen her SA, and I didn't really like her stool on it, so she went right back to Innova, and I love it (so does she
).

Oh, and introduce yourself (and your prospective pup) in the introduction forum

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts

I started Maggie out on Merrick's Puppy Plate when we brought her home from the breeder at 9 weeks old. She seemed to like it more than anything else, but since she's kind of picky, I alternate with Innova Puppy...just to keep her interested. Both are high quality, as is Wellness Puppy.

Whatever you decide, make sure you switch him over gradually...add a little bit to the food the breeder has been giving him, and slowly increase the new food. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts

I rotate Maggie's food at the end of a bag. I like Orijen, Wellness, and Nature's Variety Instinct. Occasionally I use Honest Kitchen. I use the Wellness Core low fat when Maggie's weight goes up a little. She likes the Orijen that has fish. Orijen has a pretty good website that lists all the ingredients.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts

While surfing the message board testing the new Ads software I have clicked on this post and read it. Long and behold in the ad banner box right below the first post an Ad appeared related to this topic.

<span style="font-style: italic">Here is the Ad text</span>:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Review Dog Foods</span>
Take the True Blue Test. See How Your Brand Compares. Learn more.
www.BlueBuff.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Originally Posted By: jassyI rotate Maggie's food at the end of a bag. I like Orijen, Wellness, and Nature's Variety Instinct. Occasionally I use Honest Kitchen. I use the Wellness Core low fat when Maggie's weight goes up a little. She likes the Orijen that has fish. Orijen has a pretty good website that lists all the ingredients.
Yeah, I wanted two to rotate between as a young puppy. People seem torn regarding the higher protein foods and puppies, so was looking for a couple of good 5 star options. I already got a couple sample bags to see if any are considered icky by him.

As he gets older, I really do like Evo and Orijen. If he likes Instinct, that's another one. I want to rotate not just for the sake of taste variety, but also just to rotate protein sources as well. Too bad I can't find Orijen's 6 fresh fish in stock anywhere...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Okay, will be finally getting the new baby this weekend. First decision is to select his food. I had been considering going with Canidae ALS, but with all the complaints and issues people have had with the new formula, I have decided against it. The ALS grain free may be an option, as it is not overly high in protein.

Which provides another issue altogether. It seems that few Beagle owners go the higher protein foods (Evo, Orijen, etc). I keep trying to do a search, but come up empty. Odd, as I know there are forums that mention Evo, Orijen, etc, yet I get no hits on a search.

I am wondering what everyone else feeds their babies. We have two cats who both are doing great on Evo, but it seems that many beagle owners are cautious on this forum. Is it just a general caution with the high protein foods? Is there more to it (added stress on kidneys coupled with a breed that occasionaly has kidney problems)?

I am leaning heavily towards Innova Puppy at this time, but may consider a switch down the road, and would like a second option in line as well. I guess my main question is..... why do so many on here seem (from what I can find) to avoid the grain free/ 6 star foods?
High protein should be perfectly fine for a high energy dog. I own a pet supply store, and if you are looking at traditional commerical dog food, I truly believe you should choose high quality "five star-premium" food

·
Registered
896 Posts
Well, according to the experts on this site never feed Iams or any other food with corn meal in it. I have fed my dogs Iams dry puppy food since I got them at age 8 weeks and 6 weeks respectively and they are fine. (Except when they spin their heads around backwards and spit green vomit-you just have to duck!)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Innova was sold to Proctor and gamble company (same as iams and euk) so tred slowly on those brands.

I would feed what he is eating now. And very slowly switch, like over a course of a month.

The best thing is to learnn the ingrediants, learn the product short cuts and deceptions, and find a couple that work well for your dog on your budget and rotate through the year.

DogAware.com: Commercial Dog Foods

1 - 10 of 10 Posts