Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem. Obviously, we have all heard about the pet food recall and it's pretty scary. But, here's my dilemma. We are going to be getting Reggie a bit earlier than we thought. Yay! That's awesome. The problem is that I have yet to decide what to do as far as food goes. Right now, he's on Nutro Max. My first instinct is to keep him as far away from Nutro stuff as possible, at least until all this gets cleared up. I know that the Nutro Max Dry dog food wasn't a part of the recall, but I sort of want to avoid the brand until they have things taken care of.

But...at the same time, I don't want him to have any kind of gastro issues. I do think it's a good brand of food, but I'm torn. Do I just give in, get the Nutro Max or do I change him over to something else. I don't want to stress him out. Also, I would add that while I know he needs a high quality diet, we are also on a budget. So, whatever we switch him to will have to be somewhat reasonably priced.

As wonderful as my husband is, and of course we are both on board with the adoption, we have different ideas about food. I would opt to get a higher quality food while he'd be fine with a grocery store brand.

Is there a food (that isn't on the recall list) that is somewhere in the middle (pricewise), that still is a higher quality food? Sorry this is so long. It's just one of the last things we have to decide on before we bring him home.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Do you have a three dog bakery by you?

If not you can order from them online. I highly recommend them. None of their foods are at risk of the recall, and they are high quality.
https://www.threedog.com/default.aspx

You could also ask your vet to recommend something, most vets sell dog and cat food, but remember that you'll need to work him into new food so ask whoever you're getting him from what they're feeding him. If you don't work him into the new food he may have digestive issues until he adjusts to it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
A choice of food is a personal (For you the shopper) choice. My rescue beagle thrives on Purina Pedigree at $17.00 a 40 lb bag he costs about $5.00 a month to feed BUT if your going to switch Reggie, take at least a week to make the transistion. Say Reggie gets two cups a day, then add a 1/4 cup of the new brand to 1 and 3/4 cups of the old brand for the first day. A 1/2 cup of the new brand to 1 and 1/2 cups the second day, etc. In a week Reggie will be switched over and you should avoid any sudden change problems.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
If you do switch Reggie to a different food, the way I've always switched food is to mix the 2 foods together for a few days, gradually adding in more of the new food. My Shiloh gets Beneful by Purina, which you can buy in the grocery store or a pet food store. So far there hasn't been any problem with it--it does have corn gluten, but that's not been on any list that I've seen. It's not expensive, but I think (hope) it's a good quality food.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What are you looking to pay, say, monthly for feeding? Canidae is a good food, and you can get 40lbs for about $30.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for your advice. I think that I'll keep him on the Nutro Max for the time being so his stomach doesn't get any more upset than needed. He's already going to be a little bit stressed from moving up here so I want to make it as easy as possible on him. Thanks again.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't know what your pet food budget is, but I use Innova with Jersey and she does well on it. It runs about $25 for a 16 lb. bag. They have an independant processing plant where they manufacture their dry food and are in the process of building/acquiring a canning facility for their wet products. It's up to you what you are willing to/can spend on food. Like the others have said, if you do decide to switch food brands be sure to do so slowly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:Originally posted by jen-n-jersey:
I don't know what your pet food budget is, but I use Innova with Jersey and she does well on it. It runs about $25 for a 16 lb. bag. They have an independant processing plant where they manufacture their dry food and are in the process of building/acquiring a canning facility for their wet products. It's up to you what you are willing to/can spend on food. Like the others have said, if you do decide to switch food brands be sure to do so slowly.
I will for sure. I've heard lots of good things about all the foods mentioned here. So, I'll be sure to switch slowly if we decide to do it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i use to feed bernie pedigree until i saw all the unhealthy stuff that was in it. never again. ever.
spend the best $$ you can afford on foods.
this has been a heavy topic over the last 2 months. do a search on here. theres good info on the subject.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We feed our dogs Kirkland signature Lamb & rice dry from Costco. It is a very high quality food and reasonably priced, about $18.00 for a forty pound bag. They love it, and their coats are very shiny and healthy looking.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to know. We have a Costco a few miles away. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif So, that is definitely something to look into.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I used the Kirkland for quite a while and still buy it for my cats. Maggie had been gaining weight even though I was feeding the amount the vet recommended so after a lot of reading I switched to a rotation of Honest Kitchen and Nature's Variety Prairie blends. She seems to be maintaining and even losing a little on this. At least she is not gaining any more. Anyway I do think the Kirkland is a good quality for the price and probably higher in quality than most of what is in the grocery store.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by missbarksalot:
We feed our dogs Kirkland signature Lamb & rice dry from Costco.
I don't want to be an alarmist, but Kirkland is manufactured by Diamond Food Co, which has had some problems in the past and manufactures at least 1 food that I know of (Chicken Soup For the Dog Lover) that is on the Recall List.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i think folks need to do more research on their dog foods. read the labels and know exactly what everything is.i was forced to do this when i was looking for a new/better food for bernie. i was shocked to say the least of what they put into dog foods. yeah out of 10 you might know 6 things and what they are, but its the other 4 that are the bad stuff. theres a very popular dog food on the market that has a ingred. in it that is also in gasoline. it is a major cancer causing product. they use it in "small doses" to preserve the dog food. i wont mention the name, but its very popular. please learn what you dog is eating.
just because a brand is well known, does not mean its good for your dog.mcdonalds,hershey,coke,kool-aid, all well known brands, but they arent good for us either. its all in the marketing folks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Kirkland is dry food and it is not on any recall list. It contains only whole grains, vegtables and lamb, no fillers or corn products, no glutens of any kind. I have been monitoring the recall lists and right now I believe it is as safe as anything else out there. Of course, none of us know with certainty that the food we feed our dogs is safe, except those that make their own with supplies they know are not contaminated. It is a leap of faith to buy something and hope it is safe to consume.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feed my dogs Purina One (chicken and rice). It is actually the only food I can feed to my dalmation without him getting bladder stones. My vet said it is one of the better foods that can be bought at the pet store. He said that it is better than IAMS and Eukanuba

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have read it very carefully! It is actually the only food that my dalmatian can eat. It has no beef or any type of beef by products which dalmatians cannot have due to the fact they develope bladder stones. We found out the hard way....we used to feed him some expensive dog food and spent thousands having his bladder flushed 2x's. It also has less corn than most foods. I have been given nothing but good advise by many breeders and my vet in regards to this food. I give it to all 3 of my dogs rather than having 1 food for one and another type for the other 2. i know not many people ay agree but my dogs are doing great. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And that is what is most important. Finding a dog food that your dog(s) can thrive on.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts