Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

We are still working on the housebreaking, and Copper (now 11 months old - we have had him 1 month) seems to be doing better - although we know now to never leave him alone anywhere in the house. However, each night about 8:30 we put him in his crate for about 20 minutes while we go upstairs and read to our kids. He barks the whole time - and most of the time pees too! YIKES! I don't know what to do about him peeing in his crate - I think he does it because he feels left out - that we are all upstairs and he's not invited! But what should I do about it? I clean it out with Natures Miracle and wash the pillow and towel to get the smell out. When I put him in the crate I give him a toy and a treat. If I leave him in the kitchen alone he will pee. Some evenings when its not raining I put him outside on a rope while we go upstairs - but this is not a permanent solution - as it rains a lot where we live (NW Washington state) AT night when he sleeps in his crate he doesnt have a problem barking or peeing, just during this short period each evening. Does anyone have any ideas?

Bonnie (Sleepless in Seattle)

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Until Copper is completely trained, would it be possible to place a crate in more than one place. Perhaps it would help make him feel 'a part of the pack' which is important to beagles. It might also be easier to watch for unacceptable behavior if he's within your line of vision.

An 11 month old beagle is just entering puberty, but since he's also just joined your family, you're just beginning 'puppy' training. It will take time and P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E to get through. When Maggie was little, I kept her on a leash nearby during potty training.....I felt like I had a new toddler at my side.....but the work will be worth it.

By the way, my Maggie is three years old now, and she can now be left alone in the house for long periods of time. However, the most challenging year was between one and two years old. You're not alone; It will get better.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Bonnie, I think I would try taking up to the kids room with you, either on a leash or in a crate. When Maggie was a baby we had two crates for her. One in the living room and one in my daughter's room where she slept. Now that she's older we have offered her the choice of sleeping with one of us be she prefers her crate and almost always goes back there.Copper probably feels left out or punished when you all go upstairs snd leave him alone.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It could be a mild case of separation anxiety. I know my Java can hold it in for 10+ hours when I'm around, but if he's left alone and stressed, he'll go whenever or wherever he wants to. I would work on establishing some routines that will help Copper understand that it's ok to be alone and away from his pack leaders.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I agree with Java the Beagle.
Chloe can hold it for almost 24 hours (don't ask, I was sick, couldn't move, and she was a good girl. Didn't even want to go on the wee wee pad). But if I'm not around, she will go by the door after 4-5 hours. I just pad the entrance with a wee wee pad and we're good.

I think it's separation anxiety.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Beagles can hold much longer if they don't get anxious - sounds like Copper is missing his pack - I tend to agree with Java the Beagle and Chloe's Mommy

·
Registered
865 Posts
I also agree with what has already been said! Toby would go pee on my bed when he got upset with me for leaving him alone or what have you! Hang in there. Copper has already been given up once, so it may take a while for him to really know that you are coming back.

Also, Lucky does the same barking thing at bedtime in his crate (but doesn't pee). I have started putting his dog bed in the utility room and letting him sleep on it instead of the crate. It also worked to put his crate in my room, but we couldn't sleep with two beagles snoring, so they got moved to the utility room!!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
What if right before you go upstairs to read the stories to your kids, you take him out to go pee. Then bring him in and let him come up and sit on the bed with the kids and listen to the story? And if he runs around the house during story time, at least you know he has already gone pee outside. Then he would feel included.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts