Poor Meggie. She just can't STOP! After this she moved on to the couch,
then the bed, and after about 4 hours
of this she conked out and slept
the afternoon away.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's done this for years now. I've seen her sessions go on for hours at a time. Just when I get her to quit on one piece of furniture, she goes into another room and starts on something in there.

I'm only grateful she does not do this on herself!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Gracie will do this too.. She has her chair that she is allowed to lick, but if she starts on another piece of furniture I shoo her away from it.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:Originally posted by we3beagles:
The behaviourist says it is because she is bored.
Haha! Bored. Yes, this could be a cause in some dogs. I assure you Megan is not bored. She shares her life with 1 other beagle boy, 3 labrador retrievers, a border collie, and a Lhasa Apso. She and the other dogs have full run of the dog yard which is 50' x 75' any time they choose, the physical games and zooooomies are appropriate.

What she needs is some calm. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Boy, can I relate to this! I have posted before about my Maggie's compulsive licking. Her preference is walls -- I have the cleanest walls around. I am very fortunate that I have a relatively new house so I don't have to worry about lead-based paint. I can't allow Maggie out onto my screened porch since she will lick the brick pavers until she gets sick. She will also lick any concrete around and has periodically licked the carpet. I think this OCD behavior is a combination of boredom and manipulation. Maggie is on Prozac but it doesn't make a dent into these behaviors. Fortunately, Maggie has also never self-directed the licking. I have tried Cesar Milan's finger-tip probe on her rear end -- this works when I try it but, as soon as I turn my back, she is licking again.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by jen-n-jersey:
Judy...finger tip probe??? Do I even want to know??
Oops -- guess that wasn't the best way to describe it -- it is nothing gross -- all external! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Just kind of a jab on the rear end with the finger tips ... just to momentarily distract the dog.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh we've tried all the mentioned approaches.

As I said, what she needs is calm.

So now we are smothering her with soothing words when she is already calm, LOTS of stroking on her back when she is calm telling her "there's my good girl" all those reinforcements when she is calm so that the soothing words trick her out of an obsessive session.

Mighty interesting, this tack, but it's working tonight. I can see her brain engage in the soothing tactic.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by judymaggie:
Just kind of a jab on the rear end with the finger tips ... just to momentarily distract the dog.
Whew!! What a relief!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Now to erase the mental picture! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
:rotflmao:
Oh my. I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who has a licking Beag. Kip does that. She just started it about a year ago. She licks her bed or the rug, but, not herself. We were puzzled about what started/causes it. I've also used the Ceasar tactic of redirecting her attention. It works sometimes. . . :rolleyes:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel is a licker but if it is OCD it is so minor I've never given it a second thought. He does not consider the day complete untill he has licked me for about a minute each night. If I hide under a sheet or covers he will act distressed, so I would say it is compulsive. I wind up offering an arm or hand otherwise he will to wash my face. After about 50 seconds, he curls up and is ready for the night.

I'm so sad that Gracie, Maggie, Kip and Lady Meg all carry this to an extreme. Give em all belly rubs from tyhe Bagel and I.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OCD licking is a sign of Epilepsy

What a Beagle is experiencing here is actually a partial seizure. These can escalate to the point of a grand mal type seizure. I just lost a beagle because we didn't recognize this as a partial seizure until we started trying to understand why he all of a sudden had a massive seizure cluster and had to be put down. A dog exhibiting signs of OCD licking or swallowing should be put on anti-seizure medication by any responsible veterinarian (not treated as a psychological issue).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts